PDA

View Full Version : are signs worth it for advertisement?

bobbygedd
11-05-2002, 02:40 PM
just looking for some feedback. i have a couple of customers on very busy streets, would it be worth it to do an extra good job there and put up a sign: lawn maint and landscaping by xyz. any body have good results with this?

MCGRAIL LAWN
11-05-2002, 03:39 PM
I have have a bit of good luck with those signs in front of my home and other family members.

But I have also herd that there are city laws that only allow you to place a sign at a job location only when doing work.

Example
A company is putting up siding starting Monday
and finishing Friday. They can place a sign at that job site starting monday and MUST remove it friday.

They do not consider a lawn service that comes once a week for 30 weeks in a row like that.

I have been told that but I look around at my competion and they have small 8x10 inch signs in the landscaping closest to the street.

My signs our the same size as FOR SALE signs.
48x36 inch. I place them about 1 foot back off the easment. You do not whant a sign like that on city property

Try it see if it works for you.
LQQK on ebay for custome signs
I got mine for
6 signs for $10.00
They are sigle sided sines so I took two signs drilled holes in them and mounted them on sign posts witch you can buy for $4.99 at home depot or Ace Hardware.
So for under $50.00 you have 3 signs that will last for years.

Kent Lawns
11-05-2002, 03:48 PM
The benefits of yard signs are generally very difficult to measure.

Their long-term effects can be very beneficial.

I am of the opinion they're well worth it.

outrunjason
11-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Some people tell me that putting out signs is trashy and the customers it attracts are usually one time customers.

I use signs and find that not to be true. I did get a few one time customers but most for the rest of the year. Even a local Plumbing Supply company.

A busy intersection here has people sitting in traffic allowing them to view my sign at up to a minute and a half.

Go for the signs they are cheap.

Jason

KenH
11-05-2002, 08:41 PM
I think they are worth it even for the fact of name recognition. I people see alot of your signs, you MUST be good.:D

dmk395
11-05-2002, 08:54 PM
Signs on trucks have worked well for me.

GarPA
11-06-2002, 07:42 AM
as said above you cant measure the actual benefits from these signs....I have 10 of them... and I use them...actual calls from them....zero...but, I think its more about consistently getting your name in front of your community....I know in my own case, when I consistentlysee a business strive to get their name out there i think a couple of things...1. I remember them 2. they appear for real and professional or they wouldnt make the effort to do this and 3. they must be proud of their work. I leave the signs out for a week after a job is done....but I dont use them at all for routine mowing maintenance....mine are realestate sized

Strawbridge Lawn
11-06-2002, 10:05 AM
I thought signs on my truck would do alot more than they actually did when I started 2 years ago.
I don't advertise at all with the exception of the magnetic signs on my truck. I don't even have a sign on my trailer nor do I wear clothing with biz logo's. I would advertise through the yellow pages if I had to, but I don't. For me, I feel Word of Mouth based on the work, and price you offer your customers is what spreads your name.
I paid $40 for the signs, and think they were worth it for those folks who see me working in an area and drive by slow to jot doen the info.

Gary
Strawbridge Lawn
& Landscape

JimLewis
11-15-2002, 04:01 AM
YES! Signs can and do work! Good post.

We've been using small signs in lawns that we maintain for years. And with great success. I've had a dozen or more clients over the years who told us when they first called, "I see your signs all over the place so I figured you guys must be pretty good."

Check out this page for an example of the signs we put in lawns we maintain;
http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/Signs.html

I agree with a lot of what was said above. You have to be strategic as to how you place these signs. One sign in a neighborhood will likely not do a thing for you. We only place these signs in neighborhoods where I can put a good 10 or so within a few blocks of each other. THEN, you really start to get noticed. People walking their dogs or driving to work every day start seeing your signs all over and take notice.

Also, if the sign is permenant, you can't make them too big. My goal was to emulate those little "this home protected by ATD Security" signs. I figured if I stayed to that size, most people wouldn't have a problem with them.

I think it was stated above also that it takes time - this is true. Don't put out 2- signs and expect to immediately get calls. That won't happen. Remember, this is just a form of SUPPLIMENTARY marketing. To get you a few more leads here and there. But don't count on it to bring in a ton of phone calls. Be realistic.

The signs we use nowadays (like the second picture on that web site above) are about 10"x10" and are two sided so cars or passerbys can see them from either direction. If you have a sign facing perpendicular to the road, people will see it as they pass. If you have a one-sided sign facing toward the street, not many people will notice that.

This is a little secret I've been keeping for years. I have LOTS of little supplementary marketing tools like this that we use. Another is our signs on the backs of our trailers. Like this;
http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/chevy.JPG
My crews always leave the tailgates up while working on a lawn. It's a mobile or stationairy billboard at all times. And it, too, works well.

In fact, I have so many little supplementary marketing tools going on that we don't even have to advertise these days. We'll have the biggest year yet on record this year and we didn't advertise hardly at all this year.

therainman
11-15-2002, 06:27 AM
good post subject.....
I think the sign subject depends greatly on the type of services you provide. I install irrigation, therefore i feel they have been very use tools in atraction of new clients. I am the only irrigation contractor in my town, and am new to the biz of irrigation myself, so the signs are a great way to bring attention to myself and the service we provide.
With no advertizing other than signs we have been doing an irragation bid about every other day or so. this is very good considering there are currently very few systems in ground at this time. 5 bids for me tommorrow!@!!!!!!::cool: so I would say buy em. I did spend a little more money on mine than some of you, my signs are 2'x3' metal painted signs with a steel frame very sturdy should last a long time but did cost $110 each.:dizzy:

Tidycut
11-15-2002, 09:08 AM
"Signs, signs, everywhere a sign blockin' out the scenery ... can't you read the signs?"

Signs on trucks and trailers - I think are great.

Signs on one-time installations (sprinkler, landscape, pool, etc.) - good idea, for the project/work duration.

Signs at an intersection, among other company signs - might work but I think it's bit tacky.

Signs that are expected to stay in the yard for basic lawn service - no way.

From a customer's perspective, I would never tolerate a sign in my yard for company advertising, period. I think it's unsightly and have a personal problem with using my property as an advertisement. When I buy a new or used vehicle the first thing I do is remove the dealers name and logo. And that's why I wouldn't do it. Sure, I agree that it will bring attention and name recognition (perhaps bad) and some business might be generated from it. But I personally wouldn't do it. And maybe my business will suffer for not doing it. But that's how I feel.

Good post, it's interesting to see different viewpoints.

Rick

JimLewis
11-15-2002, 02:54 PM
From a customer's perspective, I would never tolerate a sign in my yard for company advertising, period. There are those who agree with you. And that's why I always be sure to ask if it's okay before I place one of our signs. And nowadays, I don't place them right in the grass, like the old sign in that first picture. They are always placed in the corner somewhere in a planting bed - out of the way but still within sight of drivers.

I've actually been asked on several ocasions if I would place a sign in people's yards. What I wanted as an advertising tool has become a little of a status symbol.

I understand that a lot of people feel this way, but like I said before, my signs are not any bigger than the average "This house is protected by ADT" sign that is in most yards around here. And I find most people don't care too much as long as the sign isn't very big. Anyway, I am glad not everyone has your opinion just because these have gotten me a lot of business over the years.

Tidycut
11-15-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by jimlewis
There are those who agree with you. And that's why I always be sure to ask if it's okay before I place one of our signs.

Well, if you have the customer's permission then that's fine. I have no problem with it.

I wouldn't feel comfortable asking though. Some might not care one-way or the other. Some will care and will tell you. And some may just feel obligated to display your sign but really don't want to.

Rick

P.S. I am truly impressed with you operation and professionalism. And all the valuable info you've contributed to the forum. I just don't agree with this particular sign issue.

JimLewis
11-15-2002, 07:06 PM
Rick,

Hey, no worries. I wasn't offended. Everyone has their own opinions. I respect that.

Yah, at first it felt a little uneasy asking people if I could place a small sign in their yard. But now that everyone knows about our signs in this area I just say, "Hey, you know those little red signs we put around in people's yards? Would you mind if......" And 80% of the time, they don't mind. They are used to the idea already.

Also, I didn't mention it earlier but if it's in a really high traffic, upper-end neighborhood and it's a really nice landscape - I will often offer a big incentive for them to allow me to place a sign there. But I only offer the incentive if they kind of balk at letting me do it for free. For instance, I'll say, "Well, how would you feel about it if I said I'd knock off $15 per month from your service?" Then, almost everyone goes for it.

Man, I am giving away all sorts of secrets I usually don't tell anyone. Hope none of my direct competition is reading this.....