PDA

View Full Version : Firewood Question

wattsup
11-05-2002, 02:41 PM
I have a customer wanting firewood. However, he wants to know what types of wood produce the least soot. I have no idea what to tell him. Any of you guys know? Also, he would like to use cedar if possible. No, I am not selling firewood, just trying to help him out. Thanks.

KenH
11-05-2002, 03:50 PM
Stay away from anything evergreen, ie cedar. Will produce alot of creosote.

Most hardwoods will burn fine, ONCE THEY ARE SEASONED, that is allowed to dry out for a season. Ive had good luck with oaks, maples, cherries, apples.

rodfather
11-05-2002, 05:42 PM
Hickory and Walnut are good too if they are seasoned. Can be a b**** to split though.

leadarrows
11-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Fruit trees have always been my favorites. Apple wood is hard and burns very well. But any hard wood will do.
Dito;" the evergreen, ie cedar. Will produce alot of creosote".

The key of course to good burning wood is length of time it has had to season. I prefer at least six months drying time. I'M no expert but I have burned a lot of wood and its just my 2 cents.

The Mowerdude
11-05-2002, 10:48 PM
I live in an old rickety house that was built back in the 40s by the low bidder. It has no furnace, only wall heaters. And I think it must have Kleenex for insulation. You can imagine the electric bills. But the landlord put in a wood stove years ago and my wife and I go through about 4 ricks of wood per winter.

I prefer white oak. It's very clean, like KenH has said. Here in Tennessee we have lots of it. But we've found that the heart of the wood burns very hot and clean while the bark makes a mess. So whenever possible, I take the bark off. It's not always worth the hassle, but there are a number of sawmills around here that make tie rails. You can get their "drops" with no bark and for $10, they'll let you take all you can put on your truck. (Pick-up, not my flatbed dually)

Also, I try to look for wood that has been cut AFTER the first frost. After the first frost, the sap falls out of the tree and it seasons faster and nicer. If the tree is cut before the sap falls, the bugs get into it and eat it up. Soon after, rot and mildew take over. It's nasty.

Also, if you have peices that are really hard to split, set them aside until the temperatures drop down into the teens or single digits. Then try splitting them again. Most times they'll pop right apart. :cool: I've split so much wood in my life, I'm dying to try one of those "ring the bell with the big hammer" things at the amusement park. :D

IBGreen
11-10-2002, 07:16 PM
Take him some pine!:D I had nothing better to add sorry.

greenman
11-10-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by IBGreen
Take him some pine!:D I had nothing better to add sorry.
Whoa!

I use mostly oak and some hickory. Oak is very clean, just make sure it is well seasoned.