PDA

View Full Version : How come it all happens at once?

MOW ED
09-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Just a little crying:cry: and venting post.
i have a 98 Silverado, I really like it. 5.7 cab and a half 4x4 with 95K miles. I have owned it since 2000 as it was a detroit leaser and I got it with 21K miles. I have put a few bucks in here and there but this last week has been rough. New tires for 800, a new inside door latch (the second one I replaced) 80 bucks, 2 new radiator hoses because I had the radiator out to get it worked on 150 and today she wouldnt start until I rapped on the gas tank, New fuel pump installed by a goodd friend 600 bucks. My rear hurts GM please give me a break. I know its cheaper than a vehicle payment and this thing should last a while but hell if I put many more new parts in it is gonna be NEW.
OK I am done whining. I know it happens to all of us so I feel better now. Thanks for reading.

mowerbrad
09-19-2011, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't count the tires myself, just since you should already be expecting those to wear out and budget for them accordingly.

However, I completely understand your frustration when you have to put new parts in all the time. When I had my '98 GMC diesel there were a couple times that I walked out of my mechanic's shop with a $2000+ bill in hand. I believe I spent $5000 on that truck the last year I had it. That truck should have been like new!!...but something else just kept going wrong.

lakertaker2003
09-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Yes, it all goes around 85K-100K. Trans, pumps, lines, you name it. It is designed to go bad from an engineering standpoint. Ball joints. need I say more? Oh ya, I do plow which shortens the life of everything by 50%.

MOW ED
09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Ya thanks for telling me about the lines. Oh today was another joy. After mowing I get back home and back into the driveway, the pedal was feeling spomgy all day. Well how about that, brake fluid all over the ground. More money into the pit. I want to get rid of it now but I got so much into the damn thing I can't. Its like being in a bad mortgage.
My mechanic is doing the line and will replace all if needed. I am really pizzed off at this machine right now.
Anyone wanna buy a 98 Silverado. It wasn't ever driven to church by an old lady.

lakertaker2003
09-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Yeah your transcooler lines will rust too. brake lines all need checking. My powersteering leaks, but still works. Water pump. Fuel pump. ouch! catalytic converter possible-go straight pipes?? Rear end seals..check them!! On wheel and rear end. Already rebuilt trans. U joints gotta get grease fittings on them with new ones. The list is huge. Get out while you can. I have bills for well over 10K. Hope that helps.

MOW ED
09-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I am in for 2 intake gaskets over the years, power steering unit went years ago also. I know it is getting to be a money pit but I am gonna tough the season out and since I don't do snow I am looking to get rid of it before the snow flies and get into another if things are good. It sucks having a payment but I need a reliable truck. '
When did your trans go on you? What made you know the trans was bad? I am not having any issues yet but I would like to know the symptoms prior to it going since that is a big buck fix. Thanks.

SNAPPER MAN
09-23-2011, 05:05 PM
It's a lot cheaper to spend $2k or so a year in repairs than to have a $500 a month truck payment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
09-23-2011, 05:57 PM
That really isn't a lot for a 13 year old work truck. Being from Buffalo originally I fondly remember replacing lines, gas tanks and even an oil pan rusted out from the salt. I don't miss having to soak and heat every fastner only to have it snap off. Nope don't miss rust belt living one bit. I did get real good with EZ outs and Heli~Coils though.
Posted via Mobile Device

lakertaker2003
09-25-2011, 10:45 PM
I am in for 2 intake gaskets over the years, power steering unit went years ago also. I know it is getting to be a money pit but I am gonna tough the season out and since I don't do snow I am looking to get rid of it before the snow flies and get into another if things are good. It sucks having a payment but I need a reliable truck. '
When did your trans go on you? What made you know the trans was bad? I am not having any issues yet but I would like to know the symptoms prior to it going since that is a big buck fix. Thanks.

It will most likely leak at the seal or shifting it into gear...it is time within weeks if you shift it from park to drive and there is hesitation or play. You should be screening trans shops like I did to find one that is honest. I paid more to have mine done correctly once!! Find a shop that services the local police cars or other landscape companies. Only pay the best to do this service once. It should run you 2400-2600 for a rebuild. Parts sometimes can take weeks to find for some trannys. Do your homework for peace of mind. Good luck.

Junior M
09-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Yes, it all goes around 85K-100K. Trans, pumps, lines, you name it. It is designed to go bad from an engineering standpoint. Ball joints. need I say more? Oh ya, I do plow which shortens the life of everything by 50%.
Thats funny, I'll roll over 160,000 on my 2002 2500hd Chevy in the morning when I leave the house and I think I've got, not even, a grand total of $100 in repairs.

MOW ED
09-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks Laker. I have a good friend who is also an LCO that was a GM Mechanic for 25 years. He has many contacts and he is the guy that is piecing this truck together for me. '
One more little happy side note. I cleaned the engine compartment the other day. Yes I used water and I started it and ran it for a while afterward to get it to temoerature. The next morning it will not start. Now I will be out in the rain trying to figure out what is happening yet again. At least its raining and I can't do any lawn work. I am leaning heavy toward a trade in if we get it started.

SNAPPER MAN
09-26-2011, 12:33 PM
I would honestly just drop in a crate engine if I was you. You can get a new 350 from gm for $1500.
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
I buy new every 4 years. Head ache gone and i always look up to date.

punt66
09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
It's a lot cheaper to spend $2k or so a year in repairs than to have a $500 a month truck payment.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is actually not true. I will give an example.

I bought a new 2007 dodge ram hemi quad in june of 07. I paid 23,900 after i beat the hell out of the dealer. I just traded it in 2 months ago and recieved 17,500 for it on trade with 56k on the truck. I had the truck for 4 years.

23,900 - 17,500 = 6400

4 years = 48 months. $6400/48= 133.00 a month it cost me to have a new reliable truck that NEVER broke down and ause me to lose work. It also keeps me updated.

MOW ED
09-26-2011, 06:54 PM
My buddy hooked it up to a reader and found a bad crankshaft position sensor. Changed that first, no fire. Went back to basics and got a new cap and rotor.
BINGO. Now it cost me another 200 bucks after all parts and giving my friend some money for his time but I am back in business and better than ever.
I also found a great trans shop that will run diagnostics for free. He took it for a spin with the computer hooked up and found no codes. He found a little slip at 34 mph but not bad at all. He said if it goes the price is either 500 for the torque converter alone or 1800 for a converter and rebuild. I can live with that but right now it is fine. I think I will keep it. Its like an old dog.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-27-2011, 01:42 AM

I bought a new 2007 dodge ram hemi quad in june of 07. I paid 23,900 after i beat the hell out of the dealer. I just traded it in 2 months ago and recieved 17,500 for it on trade with 56k on the truck. I had the truck for 4 years.

23,900 - 17,500 = 6400

4 years = 48 months. $6400/48= 133.00 a month it cost me to have a new reliable truck that NEVER broke down and ause me to lose work. It also keeps me updated.

Any time you trade your not going to get as good of a deal. The dealer will make you feel like you kicked their azz on your trade in but some of the extra money from your inflated trade is going to be hidden in your purchase price.
It can be convenient to trade in especially if you can't afford two truck payments but it will never save money on the deal.

Deori
09-27-2011, 03:06 AM

23,900 - 17,500 = 6400

Out of curiosity did you pay cash for the truck? Otherwise you need to figure in the interest on the payments as well. Either way I'm surprised they gave you that much on trade! Not a bad deal really even if you were paying interest.

punt66
09-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Out of curiosity did you pay cash for the truck? Otherwise you need to figure in the interest on the payments as well. Either way I'm surprised they gave you that much on trade! Not a bad deal really even if you were paying interest.

Nope, dodge gives 0%

Florida Gardener
10-04-2011, 09:00 AM

23,900 - 17,500 = 6400

Smart man. Someone who actually understands how things work and how to use 0% financing to their benefit.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
10-04-2011, 11:58 AM

23,900 - 17,500 = 6400

Until you say how much you paid for your new truck (4x4, trim level, ect) your really not telling us how good of a deal your got. Also what was the true MSRP versus the posted. Posted MSRP which often can include lots of worthless dealer ads like bed liner, tow hooks, stain treatment, etched security glass, and other items that cost the dealer very little but can bloat the MSRP by as much as $5K. I'm not trying to dog you out but if your stating you think you got a great deal you can't leave out some very pertinent info.

Personally I do like Rams but I need a Ram with a Cummins that can easily work for a decade and be used to pull heavier loads with ease. A gas truck is too limiting for any well rounded landscape company to justify purchasing who thinks long term. One well maintained Diesel truck will reliably out last 2-3 gassers and greatly lower you cost per mile to operate. My first Ram was a gasser and I do not miss that one trick pony at all.

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Sounds like my 97 chevy 1500. In the last two years I replaced fuel pump, alternator, cat converter, muffler, temp sensor, heater core, distributor cap, radiator. Now I need front breaks, tires, exhaust manifold, rear bumper hanging on with chain, tailgate only connected to one side, front shocks, and rear leaf springs.

I was going to sell it then my f350 needed all new brake lines. Fixed that and noticed transmission line leaking fixed that and kept smelling exhaust. Took a look and I need a exhaust manifold on this one too. Now the battery wont hold a charge, either battery or alternator.

Still gonna sell the smaller truck and was thinking maybe a newer Toyota. I need some gas mileage in at least one truck. Im all wiped out on repairs for now maybe in the spring.