PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Ordering New Light Trucks

thunderthud
09-19-2011, 08:02 PM
I know the forum is full of Dodge, Chevy and Ford fans. I thought I'd share the specs and process we used to order our new trucks today. I'm not loyal to any one brand of truck, we've had Fords and we've had Chevy in the fleet. We've had Chevy since 2002 exclusively. Back then it was a dollars and cents decision, today it still is.

Currently I have 28 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cabs with the Z71 Suspension purely for the underside skid plates. When we ordered them, I intended to buy the softer Z85 suspension and install aftermarket plates. It worked out to be much cheaper to use the factory units, though not as tough as the aftermarket units. There are 2 Silverado Hybrid 1500 Crew Cabs as well that are in our southern most shop. I thought the Hybrid might make a decent lifeboat if they needed to evacuate in front of a hurricane.

I sent out requests for proposal from several dealers, and wrote them to not favor any one manufacturer. I want 32 in this order, so there were a decent number of units at once.

The requirements were as follows: 2012MY, half-ton, crew cab, Minimum of 300 horsepower engine, factory tow package, power windows, power door locks, power rear window, off road suspension or provision for skid plates on the oil pan and transmission, automatic transmission and alloy wheels. Base models not allowed. Factory color is black. Trucks to be delivered directly to upfitter, or to local dealer and then upfitter at no charge to buyer.

If the manufacturer has an arrangement with fleet upfitter, optionally include the following: Vehicle wrap: Matte Black over Red in the commonly called "Chicago Fire Department Scheme," company lettering (front, side and rear lettering with fonts, colors and logo attached)

In trade, the buyer has 28 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 trucks, buyer maintained, units have between 126,000 miles and 152,000 miles and available for inspection by seller or sellers representative. All seats were covered by either canvas seat covers or Wet Okoele seat covers from new. All truck beds are Line-X from new, there are 12 volt wiring harnesses in the truck bed attached to the ProTech toolboxes. Buyer will remove toolboxes or leave toolboxes for seller at sellers discretion. There is repaired accident damage on 5 units, all repaired with OEM parts. Oil changes were at 10,000 miles using synthetic oil and OEM oil filters. Oil analysis reports are available for all units done every 6 months from new.

We got back proposals from three Chevy dealers, one GMC dealer, one Toyota dealer and four Ford dealers.

Replacing the 1500 Chevy's with 1500 Chevy Silverado LT Z71's were $31,775.00-$33,995.00.

Replacing the 1500 Chevy;s with 1500 GMC Sierra SLT Z71's were $35,325.00

Replacing the 1500 Chevy's with Toyota Tundra CrewMax Grade 5.7 was $32,710.00.

Replacing the 1500 Chevy's with a Dodge was impossible because they didn't respond.

Replacing the 1500 Chevy's with the Ford 150 XLT SuperCrew was $30,100.00 and they bid the EcoBoost engine.

So, I will be placing the first order in almost a decade with Ford to provide us with trucks. The savings across the order is two entire trucks. At this particular moment Ford was looking to move trucks and I'm taking advantage of it. I have nothing bad to say out the Chevy's these Fords are replacing, they did their job for four years. It was purely a financial decision to buy the Fords.

I got $11,000 each for the Silverados which wasn't a bad deal as they are fairly high mileage for a 4 year old truck. These were early MY2008 builds we took delivery of in late 2007, so they entire year of use really didn't count other than mileage.

I know there are fans of all the brands out there, but I took loyalty out of the equation and purely went on cost. The 5.3 Chevy is reliable, and I hope the EcoBoost is reliable over the long haul. Anyone can build a lemon, and the cost savings was so great, the Ford simply won the day on getting me two more trucks for the same money as the Chevy.

I hope the info is useful at some point now or in the future to someone who forum searches. (Hello from the past!)

Deori
09-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Interesting read though I don't think too many people on this board have nearly your purchasing power. Be sure to let us know how you like the Ecoboost. While you may not keep them for a great length of time, you'll be racking up the miles fast and with so many trucks can tell the difference between a fluke and a pattern in your experience with them. Thanks!

meets1
09-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Thats alot of trucks at one time - what is it you do with the trucks and how do you achieve that many miles? Intersting though that you do oil test every 6 months.

JD7210
09-26-2011, 10:12 PM
thunderthud, What all do you do to put so many miles on these trucks out of curiosity?

Sounds like a good buy on the Fords!

Deori
12-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Hey thunderthud,
What do you think of the new Ecoboost trucks so far?
Posted via Mobile Device

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Why super crews for fleet trucks? Why not standard cab, long boxes?

BrandonV
12-10-2011, 08:35 AM
probably running bigger crews

integrityman
12-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Great Post.

32vld
12-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Currently I have 28 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cabs with the Z71 Suspension purely for the underside skid plates. When we ordered them, I intended to buy the softer Z85 suspension and install aftermarket plates. It worked out to be much cheaper to use the factory units,

Why order Z71 package to get skid plates when you don't want a harsh ride when you can order factory skid plates as an option to a truck with standard suspension?

CarolinaClipper
12-12-2011, 08:41 PM
I know the forum is full of Dodge, Chevy and Ford fans. I thought I'd share the specs and process we used to order our new trucks today. I'm not loyal to any one brand of truck, we've had Fords and we've had Chevy in the fleet. We've had Chevy since 2002 exclusively. Back then it was a dollars and cents decision, today it still is.

Currently I have 28 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cabs with the Z71 Suspension purely for the underside skid plates. When we ordered them, I intended to buy the softer Z85 suspension and install aftermarket plates. It worked out to be much cheaper to use the factory units, though not as tough as the aftermarket units. There are 2 Silverado Hybrid 1500 Crew Cabs as well that are in our southern most shop. I thought the Hybrid might make a decent lifeboat if they needed to evacuate in front of a hurricane.

I sent out requests for proposal from several dealers, and wrote them to not favor any one manufacturer. I want 32 in this order, so there were a decent number of units at once.

The requirements were as follows: 2012MY, half-ton, crew cab, Minimum of 300 horsepower engine, factory tow package, power windows, power door locks, power rear window, off road suspension or provision for skid plates on the oil pan and transmission, automatic transmission and alloy wheels. Base models not allowed. Factory color is black. Trucks to be delivered directly to upfitter, or to local dealer and then upfitter at no charge to buyer.

If the manufacturer has an arrangement with fleet upfitter, optionally include the following: Vehicle wrap: Matte Black over Red in the commonly called "Chicago Fire Department Scheme," company lettering (front, side and rear lettering with fonts, colors and logo attached)

In trade, the buyer has 28 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 trucks, buyer maintained, units have between 126,000 miles and 152,000 miles and available for inspection by seller or sellers representative. All seats were covered by either canvas seat covers or Wet Okoele seat covers from new. All truck beds are Line-X from new, there are 12 volt wiring harnesses in the truck bed attached to the ProTech toolboxes. Buyer will remove toolboxes or leave toolboxes for seller at sellers discretion. There is repaired accident damage on 5 units, all repaired with OEM parts. Oil changes were at 10,000 miles using synthetic oil and OEM oil filters. Oil analysis reports are available for all units done every 6 months from new.

We got back proposals from three Chevy dealers, one GMC dealer, one Toyota dealer and four Ford dealers.

Replacing the 1500 Chevy's with 1500 Chevy Silverado LT Z71's were $31,775.00-$33,995.00.

Replacing the 1500 Chevy;s with 1500 GMC Sierra SLT Z71's were $35,325.00

Replacing the 1500 Chevy's with Toyota Tundra CrewMax Grade 5.7 was $32,710.00.

Replacing the 1500 Chevy's with a Dodge was impossible because they didn't respond.

Replacing the 1500 Chevy's with the Ford 150 XLT SuperCrew was $30,100.00 and they bid the EcoBoost engine.

So, I will be placing the first order in almost a decade with Ford to provide us with trucks. The savings across the order is two entire trucks. At this particular moment Ford was looking to move trucks and I'm taking advantage of it. I have nothing bad to say out the Chevy's these Fords are replacing, they did their job for four years. It was purely a financial decision to buy the Fords.

I got $11,000 each for the Silverados which wasn't a bad deal as they are fairly high mileage for a 4 year old truck. These were early MY2008 builds we took delivery of in late 2007, so they entire year of use really didn't count other than mileage.

I know there are fans of all the brands out there, but I took loyalty out of the equation and purely went on cost. The 5.3 Chevy is reliable, and I hope the EcoBoost is reliable over the long haul. Anyone can build a lemon, and the cost savings was so great, the Ford simply won the day on getting me two more trucks for the same money as the Chevy.

I hope the info is useful at some point now or in the future to someone who forum searches. (Hello from the past!)

Thunderthud - How do you like the Ford Ecoboost? BTW Ford F-150 named Motor Trend 2012 Truck of the Year. Big raves about the EcoBoost engine from the testers. Want to hear what you think on them.