PDA

View Full Version : The owners manual says...but I've always heard

Barkleymut
11-05-2002, 04:22 PM
The owners manual for my 9 HP Honda on my Little Wonder says .64 of a quart is needed. But I just filled it up and it took about .95 of a quart. I've never payed attention to how much I used before. I just filled it up until you can't put in anymore. And no this doesn't have a dipstick so I just pour it into one of those two side fill holes that are near impossible to pour into unless you have a funnel. So how much should I put in?

Randy Scott
11-05-2002, 04:37 PM
They don't list fluid specs in the manual because they are bored. I suggest putting in what they, the people that built the motor, recommend.

Richard Martin
11-05-2002, 04:55 PM
On a lot of equipment the engine is tilted one way or the other. Mkae sure the engine is level the first time you fill it up. Then you know how much oil the engine takes no matter which way it's tilted.

greenman
11-05-2002, 06:57 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36122

refer to #38:D

Green Pastures
11-05-2002, 07:00 PM
Does it have a oil filter? Sometimes they do not take into account that the oil filter takes some oil as well. If not I would do just what the manual says. You can damage a 4 stroke engine with too much oil almost as easily as with not enough oil.

Scotlawncare
11-05-2002, 10:05 PM
on non-pressurized oil systems i always over fill them if they will be doing any type of work on hills. Extra precaution for steep inclines and oil starvation.

Scot

mdb landscaping
11-05-2002, 10:21 PM
my little wonder with the 9 hp honda will cut out on steep hills cause of the oil sensor. i fill it to whatever the manual says, but the honda engines have a design to cut out when the incline is too steep. its a good precautionary device, but can get annoying.

dr grass
11-06-2002, 12:25 AM
make sure the motor is level. than fill it almost to the top of the plug threads. close er' up and youll be good to go!

shep :blob2:

Envy Lawn Service
11-06-2002, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Scotlawncare
on non-pressurized oil systems i always over fill them if they will be doing any type of work on hills. Extra precaution for steep inclines and oil starvation.

Scot

I have always been told to NEVER overfill any engine with oil. People tell me this is more harmfull than running just a little low. I don't know if that's 100% true or not. But do know that if you take an engine in for under warrenty repairs that is "overfull" with oil, the repairs will not be covered. In fact it will void the engine warrenty period. That I do know 100%!!!

Always have proof of your engine oil level before taking an engine in for repair. This is the best way for an engine company to cheat you on warrenty work. I've heard it, seen and even had it happen to me....twice!!! They didn't get away with it the second time around.