PDA

View Full Version : Rain Bird Academy - Boot Camp Classes

SLMGT
09-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Anyone on the forum have any experience with Rain Bird Academy- Boot Camp classes? If so, what did you think of the classes?

mitchgo
09-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Never heard of it.

What do they do?

You Call that a trench>?!?!?!? My 600lbs Grandma Can Dig a Better Trench Then You!!!!!

DIG! DIG! DIG! DIG!

Stop Watch on the Ready!!! GO GO GO Install that sprinkler head!!!!!!!! RARRRRRRRRR

Cadet!! You have Failed to realize the reasoning for a marlex! DROP AND INSTALL ME 300 MARLEXS!!!

When You Respond to me The only words I want to here is Rain Bird First and Last .. DO YOU GET ME?!?!?

*Solute* " Rain Bird Yes Rain Bird!!!!*

Ohhhhh yeahhh.. Good Times!

AI Inc
09-20-2011, 05:35 AM
http://www.rainbirdservicescorporation.com/training/BootCamp.htm

Kiril
09-20-2011, 08:31 AM
http://www.rainbirdservicescorporation.com/training/BootCamp.htm

Gotta love the pic.

http://www.rainbirdservicescorporation.com/training/images/IMG_1416.jpg

Hey Mr. Instructor .... you know if you tilt the pipe in the other direction you won't get primer running down the pipe. :hammerhead:

Stuttering Stan
09-20-2011, 09:33 AM
I attended the technician class several years ago. They go over a ton of information in a short time. If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't. Getting your hands dirty in the field is the best way to learn.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-20-2011, 10:05 AM
You've got all the boot camp you need right here on Lawnsite irrigation forum.
Posted via Mobile Device

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
About 3 or 4 years ago I sent three of my irrigation techs to one of the Rain Bird classes. It was a two day class that covered troubleshooting. They all said that they got a lot out of it. They covered the 521 and the ground fault locator as well as basic multimeter usage and troubleshooting techniques. If I recall, in addition to controller troubleshooting they also covered valve troubleshooting. They have a lot of different classes. I took a two day class on Maxi-Com and learned a lot.

txgrassguy
09-20-2011, 01:41 PM
I have never been to one of those types of classes.

Kiril's comment made me remember a funny experience at a CEU class I had to take for license renewal.

Instructor was trying to show the attendees why vinyl gloves were necessary because he kept getting primer all over himself, the desk - made a real mess. Said he had been in the field for over twenty years prior to instructing and never found a method that would minimize the mess he was making.

All I did was walk up to him, in front of the class, pick up a relatively clean section of pipe, hold the cut end over the primer can and swabbed it while allowing the runoff to drop into the can. Then walked back and sat down with clean hands while saying it works in a trench with a short length of pipe to raise the main pipe. I was promptly kicked out of class - but got credit for the CEU though. . .

AI Inc
09-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Those that can do, those that cant , teach or write.

Bigred350
09-20-2011, 10:20 PM
The boot camp classes are good if you dont know a darn thing about irrigation and you want to start. But if you have a good knowledge and already install or service systems then its a waste..

SLMGT
09-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Great replys. Keep'em coming. Thanks.

Sprinkus
09-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Maybe I'll send my boots to the classes. They'll learn about as much as I will there. :rolleyes:

jmansell
09-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Hello SLMGT and all responders. My name is Jeremy Mansell, and I am the Senior Technical Trainer responsible for the Rain Bird Academy Irrigation Boot Camp classes. This series of classes is designed for someone who is just starting out in the irrigation industry. We begin the week with component identification and installation, move into system maintenance and troubleshooting and then finish with irrigation design after you have been exposed to the inner workings of a complete irrigation system. We have a number of testimonials from former attendees on our website (Thank you AI INC for posting the link). These are from people who have attended all of our training classes, not just the Irrigation Boot Camp, but it does give you an idea of the impressions people have had of our training. If you would like to talk with me about any of the classes, please feel free to contact me directly at jmansell@rainbird.com and I would be happy to provide you with any additional information you require.

Wet_Boots
09-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Is there a class to help us troubleshoot DV-series valve failures? :p

jmansell
09-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Is there a class to help us troubleshoot DV-series valve failures? :p

There is not a class specific to the DV series valve, but if you let me know what problems you are having, I may be able to help with you or forward your issues to the residential valve product managers and valve engineers.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-23-2011, 01:14 AM
It's the known o-ring issue... He's just jerking your chain.... But seriously tell those slackers in Commercial Division that we need an ET controller ( like the ESP-SMT) that goes to 32 stations..... And no, that POS ET Manager does not count!!!! Oh and we want real wireless Internet based central control. Time to get into the year 2011 and ditch the tired beast known as Maxi-Com.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
09-23-2011, 08:33 AM
It's the known o-ring issue... He's just jerking your chain.... But seriously tell those slackers in Commercial Division that we need an ET controller ( like the ESP-SMT) that goes to 32 stations..... And no, that POS ET Manager does not count!!!! Oh and we want real wireless Internet based central control. Time to get into the year 2011 and ditch the tired beast known as Maxi-Com.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's more than just the o-ring. There are also diaphragm issues. We've had numerous valves not shut down. My local rep explained the issue to me. But yes, I've gotten tired of the lame o-ring issue too.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-23-2011, 10:34 AM
It's more than just the o-ring. There are also diaphragm issues. We've had numerous valves not shut down. My local rep explained the issue to me. But yes, I've gotten tired of the lame o-ring issue too.

Try the PGA. It's not much more money than the DV / DV-F and from what I am told it has an extremely low failure rate. I only use the PE-B myself....

Wet_Boots
09-23-2011, 11:09 AM
That speaks poorly of a manufacturer if any of their products have failures enough to chase you to another model.

DanaMac
09-23-2011, 11:21 AM
That speaks poorly of a manufacturer if any of their products have failures enough to chase you to another model.

My thoughts exactly. I would assume that the DV is their most widely sold model, especially since it is in the big box stores. Fix the damn valve, or dump it from existence.

Kiril
09-23-2011, 11:27 AM

2500TF ..... problem solved.

RandalatA1Sprinklers
11-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Anyone on the forum have any experience with Rain Bird Academy- Boot Camp classes? If so, what did you think of the classes?

Yes. Went to New Mexico for a week a few years back. Excellent training. Great experience! Plan on going to some this spring in Chicago too. I highly recommend them.

RandalatA1Sprinklers
11-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Hello SLMGT and all responders. My name is Jeremy Mansell, and I am the Senior Technical Trainer responsible for the Rain Bird Academy Irrigation Boot Camp classes. This series of classes is designed for someone who is just starting out in the irrigation industry. We begin the week with component identification and installation, move into system maintenance and troubleshooting and then finish with irrigation design after you have been exposed to the inner workings of a complete irrigation system. We have a number of testimonials from former attendees on our website (Thank you AI INC for posting the link). These are from people who have attended all of our training classes, not just the Irrigation Boot Camp, but it does give you an idea of the impressions people have had of our training. If you would like to talk with me about any of the classes, please feel free to contact me directly at jmansell@rainbird.com and I would be happy to provide you with any additional information you require.

Jeremy was one of my instructors in New Mexico when I went. Great instructor. I had been dealing with sprinklers for over ten years at a huge resort I worked at. I just wanted some formal training. My opinion on education is that even if you learned one thing it was worth taking the class.

Like I always say.... your mind is like a parachute, it works a lot better when it's open!!

RandalatA1Sprinklers
11-17-2011, 07:33 PM
There is not a class specific to the DV series valve, but if you let me know what problems you are having, I may be able to help with you or forward your issues to the residential valve product managers and valve engineers.

That is one of the many things I like about Jeremy. Even years after taking some of his classes he still is willing to help with anything. His response to my questions is usually within hours. Keep up the good work Jeremy!!! That is one of the many reasons I only install Rain Bird. Support is awesome!

RandalatA1Sprinklers
11-17-2011, 07:36 PM

I have hundreds upon hundreds of DV and DVF valves that have been in service for well over 10 years with no problems.

:dancing:

AI Inc
11-18-2011, 05:04 AM
I have hundreds upon hundreds of DV and DVF valves that have been in service for well over 10 years with no problems.

I think those problem valves only ended up in certain parts of the country as I have had very few probs with them also.

DanaMac
11-18-2011, 07:31 AM

So do I. They have had an issue, and it is known at Rainbird. They have fixed the known issue, supposedly. I've been using the DV since I got into the industry in '93. But I also use the Irritrol 2400 due to simplicity of the valve.

Mike Leary
11-18-2011, 09:30 AM
I think those problem valves only ended up in certain parts of the country as I have had very few probs with them also.

I've often wondered about that, too, especially when a REP says, "you're the only one to complain." :rolleyes: Seriously, I would guess that water quality in some areas might have something to do with premature failure.

AI Inc
11-18-2011, 09:50 AM
"Your the only one to complain" " Thats the first Ive heard about that"

the first things they teach in rep school.