PDA

View Full Version : schedule for service of lawns

CHINES60
11-05-2002, 03:37 PM
I need some more info., PLEASE. What is the correct way to cut and manicure lawns in today's market? Do you edge first, then blow and the cut and weedeat last? Sure hope someone sheds light before spring.

Good Luck:dizzy:

Randy Scott
11-05-2002, 03:43 PM
There is no "correct" way so to speak. Whatever works for you. Actually every property is a little different in some respects. Although I think most will agree, blowing is done at the end to make sure no clippings are on surfaces they shouldn't be. If you edge first and it's not too big of a mess (like it hasn't been edged for two years or something) I blow that into the lawn before cutting. If it's a big mess I'll haul the debris away.

Really, whatever routine works efficiently and professionally is acceptable. We'll all have our own theories and opinions on this. Also, it's been discussed before and you could search the archives for some discussions. :)

rcav8er
11-05-2002, 03:56 PM
I do all my open area cutting first then trim and edge, and blow just before packing up. You could edge first but I've found that debris from edging will be packed by your tractor or your feet and it makes blowing those areas more difficult to clean up. After all the idea is to leave it better than the way we found it.

rodfather
11-05-2002, 04:52 PM
Cut, edge/trim, blow...in that order.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
11-05-2002, 05:03 PM
Personaly I blow,trim, cut ,then edge then blow again I trim first because it looks cleaner after you mow over the clipings that your trimmer has left.But every body does it different.;)

MacLawnCo
11-05-2002, 05:20 PM
I usually blow, trim, blow, edge, mow, and finally blow again. :p :D

jeffex
11-05-2002, 05:46 PM
trim and edge, mow, blow, then get the dough!

Envy Lawn Service
11-05-2002, 05:58 PM
It depends with me depending on the site. But I like to mow the perimeter, around objects. Then tirm, edge, mow. This way even what I trim gets chopped up too.

I have little use for a blower as I don't make much of a mess in the 1st place. Alot of times I use the wind off the trimmer or the deck to blow of what little mess I make. But I always make sure everything is clean before I leave.

greenman
11-05-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by MacLawnCo
I usually blow, trim, blow, edge, mow, and finally blow again. :p :D

Man, you sure do know how to blow.:D

Navig8r
11-05-2002, 08:21 PM
I mow, trim/edge, then blow,
except if it's a first cut or other situation where the grass is excessively overgrown...
In which case I trim first so that the heavy clippings will be mulched by mowing.. then mow, trim anything missed, then blow...

PaulJ
11-05-2002, 09:53 PM
Trim, mow, blow.

All my edging is done with the trimmer (with edgit) at the same time as trimming. I try to trim and edge the whole property in a loop with as few steps as possible..:)
Sometimes I will blow between trimming and mowing if there is alot of debris, like this time of year with leaves.

dr grass
11-05-2002, 11:12 PM
mac - wow bro, you really blow!! lol. seriously, why in the hell do you blow that much?? i bet my lawn that i blew off at the end, will look just as good as your overblown lawn. meanwhile, im down the road on another lawn, while your still blowing!!

shep :confused:

jason r.
11-05-2002, 11:19 PM
edge,trim,blow any debris on the grass, mow(mulch, usually)and then blow again.

mowngrow
11-05-2002, 11:20 PM
there really is no correct way to do it. you do what works best for you. depending upon the yard we edge, blow mow trim and finally blow again. why that order you ask? the walker sucks up all the debris

walker-talker
11-06-2002, 08:49 AM
CHINES60, are ya confused yet???

I the property has high grass/weeds, I like to trim first, that way you can mow the high grass/weeds that are laying around the property. I reckkon the order of what I do is based on the property at hand. If my hired had helps me, edging and mowing at the same time, then trim and blow.

MATT

MacLawnCo
11-06-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by dr grass
mac - wow bro, you really blow!! lol. seriously, why in the hell do you blow that much?? i bet my lawn that i blew off at the end, will look just as good as your overblown lawn. meanwhile, im down the road on another lawn, while your still blowing!!

shep :confused:

Im just being sarcastic. I get in and right out- mow, trim/dege, blow.

LAWNS AND MOWER
11-06-2002, 09:41 AM
Mow, trim, blow, get dough. If I trimmed first, I feel as if I would get carried away and trim where my mower could get to. Only time I'll trim first is if it's raining or too wet to mow. I'll trim my accounts and then come back when it's dry and mow and blow.

dr grass
11-06-2002, 10:55 AM
oic mac -- hahaha.

but there are still some people that blow more than once.... what gives!?!?!? that seems like a big waste of my valueable time! Maybe its just me!!

shep :(

edgit
11-09-2002, 01:23 AM
I always insisted my crews mowed first if possible or at least ahead of the trimming and edging. You'll find the suction from the mower stands the grass up if you mow first so you get a cleaner cut when you edge. Inexperience trimmer operators anticipate poorly what has to be trimmed if done ahead of the mowing, so its better if the follow the mowing, this prevents backtracking missed areas. Go to my website edgit.com we have a manicuring system that works for most properties. Click on the Follwing the Edge link.