PDA

View Full Version : retaining wall fell

cooltype
09-20-2011, 01:20 AM
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_208697.asp

There's a link to the story. I will give you a little background to the story....this guy is a home builder, this is his personal house, he back filled with dirt it was not built "to code" like he stated in the article, he used pavers around his pool and tried to sue the hardscape supplier when they began to sink awhile back when this wall was already leaning and the dirt he back filled with was washing thru the wall which is a metal wall by the way. Just thought this was a good example of liability issues. What a mess

DVS Hardscaper
09-20-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm not so sure its a liability issue, more like a competency issue.

And you mentioned he's allegedly a builder. Builders are notorious for going with lowest price. He got what he paid for. No qualified contractor stood a chance of convincing him otherwise. He was on his own mission.

Metal Wall? What do you mean? Never hear of this. It obviously doesn't withstand hydrostatic pressure!

LOL a house like that and he has a preformed fiberglass pool! Although, I would never go gunite, longterm money pit.

I just looked at a job like that in MD on Sunday. So many logistics to it. I know we're qualified to rebuild it, Cept I'm not so sure I want to be involved.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
09-20-2011, 08:33 AM
There is such an insurance for this. Most folks do not know it exists. Years ago I got a call from an insurance company whose policy holder had a huge pool deck at a high end house wash down a hill. They said "he had landslide insurance so we're covering it, are you interested in pricing the work?"

Just putting this here, maybe some guys may wanna recommend this to their clients. Unless you live in CA most don't know this insurance exists.
Posted via Mobile Device

benjammin
09-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Metal Wall? What do you mean?Posted via Mobile Device

Bulkhead sheet pile

cooltype
09-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Bulkhead sheet pile

It was constructed of something similar to that and then had a brick veneer over it to match the house. As for liability I was really meaning people that build walls of this nature better be doing them right or they might end up with alot of liability on there hands when something falls and causes that much damage. Also, the fiberglass pool insert was helicoptered in after the inground pool with metal walls and liner fell down the hill and was destroyed the first time this wall failed. I was told it wasn't nearly as bad the first time and he "repaired" it lol

DVS Hardscaper
09-20-2011, 08:12 PM
It was constructed of something similar to that and then had a brick veneer over it to match the house. As for liability I was really meaning people that build walls of this nature better be doing them right or they might end up with alot of liability on there hands when something falls and causes that much damage. Also, the fiberglass pool insert was helicoptered in after the inground pool with metal walls and liner fell down the hill and was destroyed the first time this wall failed. I was told it wasn't nearly as bad the first time and he "repaired" it lol

LOL - "Metal Pool"!

And YES, for those reading this - they do exist! Many of the pools built in the 50's and 60's had steel side panels, about 1/4" to 3/8" thick. I have about 1500 pounds of metal from a metal pool waiting to go to scrap metal. I always wonder what it would be like to be in a metal pool during a lightning storm......

oh! And, is the guy from the country where all the Dell employees live???? :laugh:

zedosix
09-22-2011, 11:54 PM
steel walled pools, thats all I know up here. 90% of the pools that go in are made of steel.

poolscaper
09-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Metal walls with a vinyl liner are popular in CT. We install gunite and polymer walls with vinyl liners. Fiberglass pools are not so popular here due to the limited sizes.