PDA

View Full Version : Snowbird come back Day

Ric
09-20-2011, 08:10 AM

My area is very Snowbird dependent and the Snowbirds are already starting to comeback. Oct 15th kind marks the return of the Snowbird. But Sept 15th to Nov 15th is the time frame. Many return to the North for Thanksgiving and even stay for X Mas. Then Jan 15 marks the second coming of Snowbirds.

The Bottom Line is:

While yard Boys are finishing up on their blow and go customers and even ready to sell off equipment for Beer Money. The smart professional is and has been marketing to the returning Snowbirds who are disappointed that their property doesn't look like Disney World. I find this time of years is the best time to pick up Year Round Customers. Advertising can go far this time because those interested in your ad are looking for a year round service. They are unhappy with the cheap blow & go guy and are willing to pay.

Your area may not have as high a percentage of Snowbirds as my area. But Snowbirds are a big factor in Florida's economy unless they are the cheap ass Canadians who get in the way and are a PITA.

BTW April 15th is Snowbird go home day. It is the time frame leading up to returning north that offers a upsell market for those DIY things they didn't get done.

Patriot Services
09-20-2011, 03:20 PM
I've already done a few cleanups and pool openings for NY and NJ birds. The return of the Canadians means no more dining out as spit sauce will be back on the menu.
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
09-20-2011, 03:26 PM
ya, i have 2 canadian snowbirds and it sucks cuz i only get a 6 month check from them...they dont want me to continue the rest of the year, but cant complain too much cuz they are side by side and the one has me do extras, but the other, tightwad!

williams lcm
09-20-2011, 04:37 PM
I see the lco's around trying to get everything up to par before they arrive. Many have slacked off while they were gone. But this is the time to get the snowbird accounts. I seen alot today looking at my rig. They all walk the neighboorhood in the morning. It gets crazy. They got the dogs, golf carts ect. Some snowbirds still cant figure out why they pay me to cut it in the winter when I only show up twice each month.

Ric
09-20-2011, 05:27 PM
I see the lco's around trying to get everything up to par before they arrive. Many have slacked off while they were gone. But this is the time to get the snowbird accounts. I seen alot today looking at my rig. They all walk the neighboorhood in the morning. It gets crazy. They got the dogs, golf carts ect. Some snowbirds still cant figure out why they pay me to cut it in the winter when I only show up twice each month.

Williams

My point exactly. Get while they are hot. If you have not done it yet. Now is the time to make note of those house with the Hurricane shutter all around and a poor looking yard. These are the people on your existing route that are your next new customer. Watch for the first sign of life and start slow with a Flyer. If they call you, you have the upper hand in pricing and selling the job. If they don't call you knock on their door but don't wait until they already hired a new guy.

Darryl G
09-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Wow, the timing is like exactly opposite here......

jvanvliet
09-20-2011, 05:55 PM
What's the difference between a Canadian & a canoe?

Canoes TIP! BWAHAHAHA...:laugh::laugh::drinkup::waving:

Tourists ARE a PIA. Before I take their account, they have to sign an agreement and pay in advance of the monthly service. I've been burned too many times :cry:.

Patriot Services
09-20-2011, 06:58 PM
What's the difference between a Canadian & a canoe?

Canoes TIP! BWAHAHAHA...:laugh::laugh::drinkup::waving:

Tourists ARE a PIA. Before I take their account, they have to sign an agreement and pay in advance of the monthly service. I've been burned too many times :cry:.

Hell yes, payment in hand before one blade is turned. I had one already think he could get 6 months of growth and trash for the price of a single cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
09-20-2011, 07:04 PM
So glad we get the northeasterners here on the east coast. When I worked in an up-per scale restaurant my tip average was 20%.
Posted via Mobile Device

gregory
09-20-2011, 07:21 PM
they flood down here when they get the first cold snap....

capelawncare.com
09-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I dont care about Canadians or any other types Migratory birds. But I damn sure would like to be able to turn my AC off, and open up the house.

Landscape Poet
09-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
09-24-2011, 08:15 AM

Yo guys

I didn't mean for this thread to be a bash Canucks field day. I was just trying to give people a leg up on what I have found to be a successful marketing times. Thanksgiving to Super Bowl I have found to be a bad time to pick up business. People are either buying or paying for X mas and not as interested in their Landscape. Right after Super Bowl the SnowBird starts spreading their wings to get ready for the Flight home. Once again from Feb 15th to April 15th the Snowbird is ready to buy. However the Spring Snowbird tends to be looking more for the Mow & Go type service.

BTW Trivia Fact: Years ago I found in a Local history book the following statement from the 1930's about Canucks. ""Canucks are better Known as Tin Can Tourist who come to Florida with there camper trailers. They Bring a Clean shirt and a 5 dollar bill and they don't change either.""

jvanvliet
09-25-2011, 08:08 AM
You got that right Ric, tourists are a good source of income for many FL business's. One has to be careful though when it comes to providing them services after they leave. Unfortunately, too many can't be trusted to be timely or even to pay at all once they are up North. Too many "yard boys" are so desperate, they'll take the work at any price without a contract and then wind up getting screwed because the snow birds think they are stupid (which they are) and can get away with it.

Different demographics on the east & west coast; west coast has more mid-westerners raised with judeo-Christian values and the east coast has most of the left wingers, loser's, & Quebec Canadians.

If they are not willing to sign a service agreement (signed contracts are necessary in FL for them to seek recourse for non-performance & for us to file a mechanics) and pay in advance monthly, they are not willing to stand by their agreement.

In fact, anybody not willing to acknowledge a service agreement with a 30 day out clause is not anybody I want to do business with anyway.

jvanvliet
09-25-2011, 08:13 AM
So glad we get the northeasterners here on the east coast. When I worked in an up-per scale restaurant my tip average was 20%.
Posted via Mobile Device

You didn't get that from a Canadian, did you?

Florida Gardener
09-25-2011, 08:29 AM
You didn't get that from a Canadian, did you?

Nope. We get the ny, nj, conn, and mass crowd here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
09-25-2011, 09:00 AM
You got that right Ric, tourists are a good source of income for many FL business's. One has to be careful though when it comes to providing them services after they leave. Unfortunately, too many can't be trusted to be timely or even to pay at all once they are up North. Too many "yard boys" are so desperate, they'll take the work at any price without a contract and then wind up getting screwed because the snow birds think they are stupid (which they are) and can get away with it.

Different demographics on the east & west coast; west coast has more mid-westerners raised with judeo-Christian values and the east coast has most of the left wingers, loser's, & Quebec Canadians.

If they are not willing to sign a service agreement (signed contracts are necessary in FL for them to seek recourse for non-performance & for us to file a mechanics) and pay in advance monthly, they are not willing to stand by their agreement.

In fact, anybody not willing to acknowledge a service agreement with a 30 day out clause is not anybody I want to do business with anyway.

jvanvliet

I am 98% in agreement with your statement except the contract // Payment part. Maybe I am real fortunate to be in a smaller town and have the working professional Mid Western retirees. And Farmers who are famous for honoring hand shake deals. There is a real big difference in attitude between East and West of the Delaware River. I BAD in the fact I don't have contracts with my customers unless they ask for one. Then only a few of the Commercial accounts require one. They all pay and I have never really had a payment problem. But selling account could be a problem with out contracts.

My Market area is both Sweet and Sour. It is Sweet in the fact as a upscale luxury service provider the real Pro in my area are holding their own gross sales wise in a Very Down turned economy. The construction workers have long since moved away and we still have a ton of foreclosures. My Investment Club only does local business investment, and is just staying alive. In fact I just got a small dividend for the first time in a few years.

The Sour part is to both our North and South are the Large Marketing Areas that are potential gold mines compare to our small town. I was a single parent and told both my children our town is a great place to grow up in. But Doesn't have any opportunity for young people. The only Kids that will stay in our town are the Losers who can't make it in the real world. BTW I left as a young man and came back in my old age. The Sweet out weights the Sour at my age.

jvanvliet
09-25-2011, 12:24 PM
A handshake vs. a contract is the difference between West coast tourists & East coast tourists... integrity. I've soured on all the lowlifes on the East coast, you know the ones I mean, they want a mow-blow-go and then remember later you agreed to trim, treat & fertilize the ornamentals and no I couldn't possibly pay you for last month until you complete the trimming and the ornamental treatments now.

I have a written agreement with all my clients outlining exactly what my obligations are, it protects them and it protects me from selective recollection. They have a 30 day written out clause for any reason so they aren't hooked into a long term contract. The terms and conditions are reasonable and not onerous at all. If they have a problem with the agreement I'll modify it to the extent it is mutually agreeable and doesn't place a undue burden on me. If they don't want to sign. I don't accept their business.

All professional organizations such as Realtors, contractors, cell phone providers, etc. have written and signed agreements in place. Why not the green industry? I can understand it might be different in a small agrarian community, but life in the big city is predatory.

I laud you for maintaining your family alone. It's tough to do specially as a male since society seems to be geared toward single female parent households. I pray they are doing well and confident that you have fully equipped them with the tools they need to see their journey through.

Ric
09-25-2011, 01:36 PM
A handshake vs. a contract is the difference between West coast tourists & East coast tourists... integrity. I've soured on all the lowlifes on the East coast, you know the ones I mean, they want a mow-blow-go and then remember later you agreed to trim, treat & fertilize the ornamentals and no I couldn't possibly pay you for last month until you complete the trimming and the ornamental treatments now.

I have a written agreement with all my clients outlining exactly what my obligations are, it protects them and it protects me from selective recollection. They have a 30 day written out clause for any reason so they aren't hooked into a long term contract. The terms and conditions are reasonable and not onerous at all. If they have a problem with the agreement I'll modify it to the extent it is mutually agreeable and doesn't place a undue burden on me. If they don't want to sign. I don't accept their business.

All professional organizations such as Realtors, contractors, cell phone providers, etc. have written and signed agreements in place. Why not the green industry? I can understand it might be different in a small agrarian community, but life in the big city is predatory.

I laud you for maintaining your family alone. It's tough to do specially as a male since society seems to be geared toward single female parent households. I pray they are doing well and confident that you have fully equipped them with the tools they need to see their journey through.

jvanvliet

Rained out again and I am playing in my own yard today. In a couple of weeks we will be crying for rain.

I was Mr Mom before the Divorce so raising the kids came natural. Both my Children are 6 figure professionals living in Miami's Down Town Brickell section. In fact they walk back and forward to each others Condos. My son has a Condo on South Beach that he now rents out because Brickell area is the New Yuppie place to be. I looked real hard and Heavy at moving closer to them. So I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't think I could make a legal income in that area. Especially with a down Economy. But I am a small town Guy and I am too old to change now.

TheBetterDoorhanger
09-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Seasonal Service Calendars help ad to your door hanger distribution -- It allows you to give your customer a calendar reminding them of all the services they will need from you during the upcoming season. You can distribute this at the same time as you distribute your standard door hanger with our innovative Band-It design that allows you to distribute two ads at a time. Right now you can get 1,000 4.25 x 11 Door Hangers to put your standard advertising information on and 1,000 of the 6x9 Seasonal Calendars including Stick-It so they can post it on their fridge & be prepared to call you for the upcoming services... including design & freight for $255.

Go to http://www.adeasprinting.com/doorhangers-seasonalservicecalendar for more information OR
Request samples to be mailed to you at www.AdeasPrinting.com/free-samples so you can check them out

or just give us a call if you need more information -- 866-778-4254

Thanks!
Robin Christopherson
Adeas Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com

gsaunders5
09-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Ric, where are you located?? I'm on the Island of Venice.