PDA

View Full Version : Who flags lawn sprinkler heads?

walker-talker
11-05-2002, 03:43 PM
Pretty simple question. When you have an aeration or any other job, who flags the heads? You or the homeowner, or no set policy.

Thanks
MATT

kppurn
11-05-2002, 04:40 PM
I provide flags for the homeowner at least a week in advance. With my luck I would miss one and damage it.........my fault. If they miss one......not my fault.

dfor
11-05-2002, 05:55 PM
I have the customer flag the heads.

Green Pastures
11-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by kppurn
I provide flags for the homeowner at least a week in advance. With my luck I would miss one and damage it.........my fault. If they miss one......not my fault.

What he said for exactly the same reason. Although you must inform the customer in writing of possible damage for it to be a binding, legal agreement.

walker-talker
11-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Thanks!! The approach that demands that the customer flags the heads seems like the best way about it.

MATT

GroundKprs
11-05-2002, 10:27 PM
It is much better to flag yourself. Then if you do damage, you know it's your own fault. If the customer flagged heads last night, and you come to aerate today, will he really believe the head you hit was not flagged? (He was already gone to work when the school kids came by pulling up the flags, LOL.)

I flag heads right before I aerate, so I know they're all marked. Client pays for the time to flag heads; that's a lot cheaper than irrigation repairs. I tape measured all regular clients years ago, so I can locate heads even in spring before irrigation is turned on.

65hoss
11-05-2002, 10:41 PM
It is entirely impossible with bermuda and zoysia lawns to find all the heads. The small one are hid all over the place. My policy is: The homeowner MUST mark the sprinkler heads and valve boxes with the markers I provide. If I hit one its my fault. The plugr's are completely non-forgiving. It would shatter it if it hits one.

For example, we did a 4000sf seeding job last week. I left the flags. In that area were 43 heads that were marked. There was absolutely no way I would have found them all if I spent all day there.

KLMlawn
11-05-2002, 10:57 PM
Honestly, the easiest way to find and mark all of the heads is to manually turn the system on, zone by zone, from the main box (and any auxilary boxs) and mark them when they pop up. It is ok if the lawn gets a little wet prior to aerating ...
You can do this and charge for the extra 15 min. to do it, although if you price the aeration job correctly by not giving this invaluable service away for a penny per sq.ft. or less, then that 15 minutes or so shouldn't make or break you on the whole job.

TLS
11-05-2002, 11:49 PM
Hmmm,

Been mowing lawns since 1979. Never....EVER....came across an irrigated lawn. SURE, I've had to MOVE sprinklers....that are attached to HOSES!! :D

I have seen about 3 lawns that are irrigated in my local travels. Plus one CVS that went in that installed them. (They're lawn is new and crappy. Spend all that $$ on irrigation, yet nothing spent on proper seed and apps???)

Anyway. I guess irrigation is more prevelent in certain areas?

Currier
11-05-2002, 11:56 PM
I don't DEMAND that they flag sprinklers. I heighly encourage it. I tell them chances are it will be o.k. and it usually is. Why be so extreme? Just mention that it helps reduce damage if you know where the liabilities are...

If walmart DEMANDED something of me I'd tell them to kma.

greenman
11-05-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
It is entirely impossible with bermuda and zoysia lawns to find all the heads. The small one are hid all over the place. My policy is: The homeowner MUST mark the sprinkler heads and valve boxes with the markers I provide. If I hit one its my fault. The plugr's are completely non-forgiving. It would shatter it if it hits one.

For example, we did a 4000sf seeding job last week. I left the flags. In that area were 43 heads that were marked. There was absolutely no way I would have found them all if I spent all day there.

Turn on all the zones. Much easier, but you will get wet.

Bob Minney
11-06-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by TLS
Hmmm,

Been mowing lawns since 1979. Never....EVER....came across an irrigated lawn. SURE, I've had to MOVE sprinklers....that are attached to HOSES!! :D

I have seen about 3 lawns that are irrigated in my local travels. Plus one CVS that went in that installed them. (They're lawn is new and crappy. Spend all that $$ on irrigation, yet nothing spent on proper seed and apps???)

Anyway. I guess irrigation is more prevalent in certain areas?

About 90% of lawns have a system here. Dragging a hose can be a full time job in the summer.
Even new starter homes come with a system.

greenman
11-06-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by TLS
Hmmm,

Anyway. I guess irrigation is more prevelent in certain areas?

Seems to me like most people of north dont use irrigation systems. For whatever reason I don't know, other than the strict water restrictions. There are alot of irrigations systems here, probably at least 1/4 to 1/3 pf population here has it.

65hoss
11-06-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Currier
I don't DEMAND that they flag sprinklers. I heighly encourage it. I tell them chances are it will be o.k. and it usually is. Why be so extreme? Just mention that it helps reduce damage if you know where the liabilities are...

If walmart DEMANDED something of me I'd tell them to kma.

Apparently you don't use machines that will destroy them. Demand? Yes. A *** driven machine hits with so much force that a sprinkler head would completely shatter when hit. Chances with these types of machines are not good. We get a lot of holes per sf and it hits with enough force it takes plugs of wood out of tree roots.

When I demand they mark them and explain why people respect me more as a professional. If I would say "chances are" you don't give people much confidence in your ability or knowledge. I promise if you break a head the owner will be demanding you fix it. My name and word of mouth are too important to throw caution to the wind based on stupidity.

The problem with turning the system on manually and marking them is most systems down here are in people's garages. We have no access to them.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-06-2002, 01:14 AM
I don't care how they are marked, they will be one way or a nother. If I do it, it is in my fee, if they do it, I made morem money off the job.

Not like the dumb **** that said he didn't this year and swares he didn't hurt any.

He just don't know it yet.

I have yet to break a head that was marked that worked or buy one that was marked that I damaged.

walker-talker
11-06-2002, 08:35 AM
Like 65Hoss says, I will give them the flags to mark the heads, but I rather have them do the marking. The only reason I brought this subject up was because the other day I went to give an estimate and just forgot to bring flags with me and the homeowner said that he had flags.

GroundsKpr brought up a good point about the business should flag the heads, for liability reasons. One thing that I do (if the homeowner marks the flags) is walk the property and look at the layout. You can scan the patterns of the flags and usually spot if there might be one missing. Thanks for the replys!!

MATT

MOW ED
11-06-2002, 09:15 AM
Its not so much the heads that are the problem, its the darn Invisible Dog fence thats buried 2 inches under the grass.

dmk395
11-06-2002, 10:11 AM
only a fool wouldl not mark the heads, to easy to hit them

JimLewis
11-15-2002, 02:39 AM
only a fool wouldl not mark the heads, to easy to hit them Mark me down as a fool, then. Because we just aerated 47 lawns in the last 2 days and we didn't mark one of them. Funny, we didn't break one sprinkler head either.

I figured out a long time ago that the time we spent turning on systems, flagging sprinklers, etc. was a total waste. We'll maybe break a sprinkler head every 50 lawns or so but it usually only takes a $3-$15 sprinkler head and 15 minutes of labor to fix it. I'd much rather just fix one once in a while than waste half an hour at each house marking out sprinkler heads. Do you know how much time you waste doing that?

Been mowing lawns since 1979. Never....EVER....came across an irrigated lawn. Dang. You must work in the sticks. 'Round here 50% of lawns are irrigated. Once you get into the high end residentials it's 90%. And that's mostly where we work.