PDA

View Full Version : A first for me in Texas

txgrassguy
09-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Got called to a long term client's residence to correct a poorly performing section. Client complained of low pressure, wet spots in the yard and decreased coverage.
Long story short I started with the most obvious leak, uncover the spaghetti tubing connected to the drip line and notice it appeared chewed in half. While repairing this I kept hearing gurgling noises while activating an adjoining section with my remote.
Dug up a large leak and discovered the swing joint poly pipe had three holes chewed in it, all along the bottom of the pipe. Damned pipe had teeth marks on it but the rest of the site showed no mole hills or trails.
First time I have ever seen this even when I worked in P.A. which is alive with burrowing creatures.
Didn't get to the camera quick enough to snap a pic since the client wanted to keep the pipe - thought it looked like an animal was trying to make a flute.

DanaMac
09-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Amazed me the first time I saw that too. Moles, voles, squirrels, chipmunks. And I thought chewing my fingernails was bad :)

AI Inc
09-20-2011, 03:26 PM
I see chipmonks knawing drip tubing quite a bit. Time for the drywall bucket.

jvanvliet
09-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Possibly a rodent type genus response to drought conditions.

Wet_Boots
09-20-2011, 07:37 PM
anyone seeing rodents gnawing PVC to get water?

Mdirrigation
09-20-2011, 09:35 PM
I have had teeth marks in pvc 2 times in 28 years , I wont use drip because every time we get dry the little critters chew right thru it .