PDA

View Full Version : Working with other contractors on a job. Coordinating / Managing

DVS Hardscaper
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Ok, this is a topic I'm being serious about. Grab your smartphone and read this while you're sitting on the throne, this is a long one!

First off I would like to limit the responses to those that have been around the block a time or two in the contracting industry and that can relate.

From time to time we do jobs where the client may have other contractors working on the property while we're there doing our thing. I fine with this for the most part, depending on the nature of what they're doing.

I also work in capacity of general contractor. Where I coordinate and manage and overlook the subs, and I get paid for it.

Well we're starting an excavating related job next week. It'll entail importing about 150 cu yds of fill.

At the same time the home owner is replacing her concrete driveway. During the pricing phase of the job I told the lady her concrete guy could place his rubble in the hole, with kind intentions of saving him from hauling and paying dumping fees. Why export rubble when we're importing, right?

So she talks to the concrete guy and he is very happy that I came up with doing that. Big load off his shoulders.

About 45 days ago she asked me to call the concrete guy and tell him my plan of attack. So I did, nice guy, everything fine.

I shoot the lady an email about 9 days ago saying we're behind schedule due to the rains. She responds "no problem".

Sunday night she shoots me an email asking when we'll start. I respond with the date and day.

She responds and says "can you call the concrete guy and coordinate?"

Ok, well this is where I am interested in hearing others opinions.

First, for the record, let me make it clear we're a small, busy operation. I AM HUGE ON CUTOMER SERVICE AND COMMUNICATION. it's truly the foundation of my success. It's a skill and an art and it's not something everyone can master.

I have my plate full with managing our current jobs. This nice concrete guy is working for her, he's not my sub.

I sent her a nice email saying "would you
Mind calling him and just tell him the details stated in my email". She sent an email back saying I really needed to coordinate with him. And 4 hrs later she called me.

I didn't tell her this but frankly I do not want much involvement with her contractor for liability purposes. Next thing you know something comes up and it's a he said she said. Where as if I keep a low profile, there is no finger pointing at me. And my contract does not include managing her people.

So I politely said she had to call him and simply pass on the info in my email. She said "but you said you would coordinate with him". And yes I did, I thought coordinating was me
Telling him we'll take his rubble and we'll be ready the 2nd day". My priority is communicating with our client. If we're behind I have to call her and advise, I don't think I should be responsible for calling every other Tom dick and Harry that she may have working there! They're her babies.

She sounded upset with me. I'm sure once we start and she sees me everyday she'll she that I'm a genuine guy an that we do quality work.

In the past this topic has come upon this forum, and most folks say they hate working with others. But it's not a perfect world and sometimes we have to.

What are some thoughts from some of the veteran contractors here? I'm my case I think we had a communictikb problem, I think she thought I was going to take this guy under my wing and communicate with him like I do with her.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Lol

And before someone responds with "how hard is it to call someone and say we're strting on Monday" let me say that would be my response if I was you reading this!

This guy is a talker. The last time we spoke I had to pull over on the side of the road because I was almost out of signal and he was a talkin and a talkin and a talkin and a talkin and a talkin. So much so - I think he's a happy drunk! That was my impression I got from our phone conversations.
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
09-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Lol

And before someone responds with "how hard is it to call someone and say we're strting on Monday" let me say that would be my response if I was you reading this!

This guy is a talker. The last time we spoke I had to pull over on the side of the road because I was almost out of signal and he was a talkin and a talkin and a talkin and a talkin and a talkin. So much so - I think he's a happy drunk! That was my impression I got from our phone conversations.
Posted via Mobile Device

thats the great things about cell phones, dead zones, say hello hello are you there a couple of times and then hit end. I've said every time you start out doing something nice they will take advantage of you like she is doing and somehow when something goes wrong its somehow your fault. you did the right thing.

SVA_Concrete
09-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Ah.. the ole hello hello trick

We work with other subs about half of the time. Where you are drawing the line is a good thing it keeps responsibility clear. I have a personal fault that I am working on....in that I would call the other sub contractors. Even when im not getting paid for it cause I hate headaches.

I give alot of free work away...the superintendent style of work.... I don't place enough value on managing subs and logistics.
Posted via Mobile Device

SVA_Concrete
09-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I don't know if im qualified to respond..... I've been in the industry snce 2003 and no I wasn't 12 in 03working for my dad...
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenLight
09-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Not intended to sound harsh, but you put yourself in that position as soon as you green lighted him dumping his concrete into your needed fill area. At that point it wasn't her responsibility, it became yours. I have been in contracting long enough to know it's a VERY RARE occurence that any of us are just doing the other contractor a favor. Let's be honest here, sure he is getting a great benefit from dumping his busted concrete on site, but im sure it's scratching your back a little bit too having a large amount of free fill without delivery or labor expense.

Once the above variables took place you were compromised. She could very easily simply never call the concrete contractor and on the day you show up you find a very large pile of busted concrete piled up in front of your excavation site. Then the bickering begins with her saying "well you said he could dump his busted stuff into your site and you weren't here, so he made a nice pile for you close to the proposed area." At this point, everyone is about to be pointing fingers.

OutdoorCreations
09-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I am young, but I will chime in. I would just text him and be done with it. Ask him to confirm he got the text. If he calls you to "talk" just don't answer and when you see him onsite tell him you were walking into a meeting and couldn't talk right then.

DVS Hardscaper
09-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Not intended to sound harsh, but you put yourself in that position as soon as you green lighted him dumping his concrete into your needed fill area. At that point it wasn't her responsibility, it became yours. I have been in contracting long enough to know it's a VERY RARE occurence that any of us are just doing the other contractor a favor. Let's be honest here, sure he is getting a great benefit from dumping his busted concrete on site, but im sure it's scratching your back a little bit too having a large amount of free fill without delivery or labor expense.

Once the above variables took place you were compromised. She could very easily simply never call the concrete contractor and on the day you show up you find a very large pile of busted concrete piled up in front of your excavation site. Then the bickering begins with her saying "well you said he could dump his busted stuff into your site and you weren't here, so he made a nice pile for you close to the proposed area." At this point, everyone is about to be pointing fingers.

ok, but the only thing is Fill Material in the DC area is free :) So, we do not benefit by letting him leave it onsite.

DVS Hardscaper
09-20-2011, 08:07 PM
I am young, but I will chime in. I would just text him and be done with it. Ask him to confirm he got the text. If he calls you to "talk" just don't answer and when you see him onsite tell him you were walking into a meeting and couldn't talk right then.

thats the best response yet!

GreenLight
09-20-2011, 08:12 PM
ok, but the only thing is Fill Material in the DC area is free :) So, we do not benefit by letting him leave it onsite.

Really? They will deliver a dump truck full of fill for free? man that's utopia, but is it true?

DVS Hardscaper
09-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Really? They will deliver a dump truck full of fill for free? man that's utopia, but is it true?

Oh yeah. The DC area is gridlocked. No where to stock pile material. So they haul it out as soon as it's broken out of the ground. Desperate for places to dump.

GreenLight
09-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Oh yeah. The DC area is gridlocked. No where to stock pile material. So they haul it out as soon as it's broken out of the ground. Desperate for places to dump.

I have to admit, that is a pretty sweet deal. Granted we can get fill here pretty cheap, but they cut you in half on the delivery fee for a tri axle load.

DVS Hardscaper
09-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I have to admit, that is a pretty sweet deal. Granted we can get fill here pretty cheap, but they cut you in half on the delivery fee for a tri axle load.

Although, as always - You get what you pay for though. Dirt hauling in the DC and DC Metro area is a huge industry. The drivers get paid per load by the excavator. Sometimes there's a broker involved. Sometimes material is promised and never arrives because the driver found a place closer to dump. After trial and error you learn you are the good guys and who to stay away from. I have a list of about 21 haulers that I call upon. I've got it down pretty good now.

vtscaper
09-20-2011, 10:00 PM

perfect response

if you didnt want to invest time in the extra call to coordinate guy dumping his fill then you better be willing to deal with the hassles of what may come from that. the general public can be really dumb about simple things related to construction. Ive had surgeons and lawyers literally be "amazed" by the simplest accomplishments on the job. talking to a concrete guy about where to dump his debris is a scary and totally unfamiliar thing to most and they wont likely get your simple message across.

We do the occasional commercial landscape installation. we work as a sub under a general contractor. we get paid our contract price to do our work. no compensation as a gc or otherwise. however there are countless situations that come up similar to yours on the jobsite. the site excavators offer to backfill our wall for us while they are behind it as long as we wait to do our planting untill they get there machine out. this could help us both in a perfect world but we have now thrown one more variable into the line dance and one slip and guess what happens. If I agree to this then I will be directly coordinating with that contractor about whatever we are doing. Not relying on the superintendant to pass on the message because they are typically worse the the avg homeowner:).

Personally I like being very involved with all of the other contractors especially in regards to our schedules on any job resi or commercial. My experience has taught me this always seems to make things go the smoothest. however it does require time.

One thing you do know is it WILL be saving the concrete guy some time and money to dump in your hole. So since its no skin off your back one way or the other I would just call -hopefully get the answering machine- and say if you want to dump your fill this is when and where you can do it otherwise its just not going to work

custom patios
09-20-2011, 10:57 PM

thats how I would have handled it. but not the root of what DVS is talking about. its another case of misunderstanding one another.
The client infers more information than what DVS really meant when he said he would coordinate with the other contractor. On the other hand, if I were the client, I also would conclude that he is going to MANAGE the process with the other contractor.
I dont know what exact wording you used, but somehow, if you even give an inkling that you, the contractor, will take on a responsibilty, it becomes ALL your responsibility. nice how people do that isnt it? but it happens.

I have learned that as business owners, we must always be alert to what we say to a client and how we say it. I've found that most clients are completely oblivious to many things, but completely genious when talking money and what you said you were going to do.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
09-21-2011, 01:47 AM
Give them an inch and they'll take a country mile.

JoeyDipetro
09-21-2011, 11:31 PM
If there were only four words one could live their life by, for me, it would be "don't be a victim." While admirable that you introduced the idea of working with the other contractor in order to make things easier for the both of you, with that, you involved yourself with that contractor in the mind of the customer. It was your idea,period.

Next time, maybe you offer up the idea with a disclaimer, or worry about your end and say nothing more.

ALLPro Landscaping
09-21-2011, 11:49 PM
If it were me, I would have just called the concrete guy and said im running behind so can you come out this day, since you made the offer of him dumping his load in your excavated area, you more or less made your self involved. Believe me I know where you stand. But at the same token see where the customer stands, your changing your schedule or start date if you stated one on your contract, so at this point shes looking at it, ok now hes changing the date so in order to avoid confusion why don't you just communicate with the concrete guy, Never offer any freebies or do any good deeds, they will always bite you in the rear. I think your starting to see that. Good luck, my advice to avoid any complications just pick up the phone and call him. it will only take a min. good luck

DVS Hardscaper
09-21-2011, 11:53 PM
If there were only four words one could live their life by, for me, it would be "don't be a victim." While admirable that you introduced the idea of working with the other contractor in order to make things easier for the both of you, with that, you involved yourself with that contractor in the mind of the customer. It was your idea,period.

Next time, maybe you offer up the idea with a disclaimer, or worry about your end and say nothing more.

I don't think i'll go to the length of adding a disclaimer for this stuff. I like my disclaimers, but this doesnt need a disclaimer.

In the future if I offer something I'll simply verbally get everything out there up front. "look, i'm offering this and thats all. leave me alone!"

Kiril
09-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Way I see it ..... your idea .... your responsibility to coordinate the execution of that idea. If you didn't want to be involved, then you should have kept your mouth shut.

BTW, I might mention you have now probably spent considerably more time trying to dodge the responsibility and whining about it here than it would have taken to just do what you should have done to begin with.

PatriotLandscape
09-22-2011, 08:42 AM
I haven't had time to give a good response so I won't yet.

I do however find it interesting that which people are responding and feel they have been around the block. I have read 1 maybe 2 replies from people who have actually had an experience like this.

Great topic I struggle with it on a fairly frequent basis
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
09-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Way I see it ..... your idea .... your responsibility to coordinate the execution of that idea. If you didn't want to be involved, then you should have kept your mouth shut.

BTW, I might mention you have now probably spent considerably more time trying to dodge the responsibility and whining about it here than it would have taken to just do what you should have done to begin with.

You are a very wise man :)

SVA_Concrete
09-22-2011, 11:23 AM
You told the homeowner the option. Not the concrete guy in the first place. Your responsibility is to the home owner. She gave the option to the concrerlte guy

If you called the concrete guy and said hey you can dump in my fill area then it would be your responsibility to keep him informed.
Posted via Mobile Device

JoeyDipetro
09-22-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't think i'll go to the length of adding a disclaimer for this stuff. I like my disclaimers, but this doesnt need a disclaimer.

In the future if I offer something I'll simply verbally get everything out there up front. "look, i'm offering this and thats all. leave me alone!"

That works too.

PaperCutter
09-23-2011, 09:59 AM
There really is no good, clean answer. The second you involve someone who isn't subordinate to you - even if it's with the goal of making life easier for everyone on the site - you're rolling the dice. We make this gamble because most of the time, it works out perfectly fine and we get to be the hero and it doesn't cost us anything.

Look, we assume the same risk any time we refer someone to our client. That person becomes "our guy" in the eyes of the homeowner. I designed a project for a client where the plantings were handled by a nursery, but they also needed a small wall that the nursery wouldn't do. So I told the homeowner to call a company I know who will take small jobs and we'll get it done. Wouldn't you know it, this company has lost their mojo and is totally sucking, and I get a furious call from the client to "get your subs in line because you're responsible." Um, no. You may want to look on your contract for the wall, because my name? Nowhere on it. But what were my options? I went out to the site (at no charge), reamed out the contractor for sucking so bad, and got everything handled.

I guess the bottom line is to carefully choose which contractors you'll do something like this with. If it's an unknown, and especially in a trade where the mopes outnumber the good guys, I won't touch it anymore. Unless I'm having a flash of stupidity, which still does happen. Keeps me on my toes.

Moneypit
09-26-2011, 11:09 PM
I deal with this issue on a regular basis when it comes to home owners but mostly GC's on larger jobs. They want me to coordinate with the radient heat guy, the plumbers, the framers, the electricians, the siders, the fence guy.......the list goes on. They give me the subs phone numbers and expect me to spend my evenings calling them to make sure everyone is on schedule and doing what they are supposed to be doing. For many years, I would be the nice guy (or sucker) and do these things. Well then I finally wised up and flat out tell them it is not my responsibility.
You have to let them know right away that you have no intentions of doing their jobs right off the bat, or they will attempt to lay as much of their responsibilities as possible on your back.

JimLewis
09-27-2011, 06:18 PM

BINGO! We have a winner!

Oh, I hate it when I find myself agreeing with Kiril..... :rolleyes: ..... But he said exactly what I was going to say. I figure once I'm involved then I need to do whatever it takes to see it through. If that means a little extra time on the phone or even in person with this guy to make sure everything goes smoothly, fine. So be it. I'll do whatever it takes to make sure my job goes smoothly and that my customer is happy with us - even if that means going out of my way for something like this.

I charge a good 25% more than the majority of contractors in my area anyway. So I figure one of the reasons people hire us vs. our competitors is customer service. I'm going to be the one who goes the extra mile when most of the others out there wouldn't. The customer really EXPECTS more of me. So if I get the opportunity to do a little more, I will.

It's just like what we were talking about in that other thread about leaving little gifts at the end of each job. I want to be known as the company who went out of our way to do every little thing just a little better....a little beyond... what most other contractors would have done. And since I'm charging more, why not give them a little more?

Doing great work sets you apart from 75% of your competitors. Doing great work AND going the extra mile whenever you can sets you apart from 95% of your competitors.

DVS Hardscaper
09-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Welp, we started the job on Monday and have about 4 more hrs to finish tomorrow.

This topic has gotten some interesting replies! To say the least!

It's funny as how some really take theirselves so seriously that's it's a little extreme. And yeah, we also have some responses in this topic from my lawn fertilizer and sprinkler fans that have never really work in the excavating industry and responded solely for the sake of being hateful :)

First of all, making a verbal offer to dump a small quantity of rubble into a large hole does not bind one to anything other than accepting the rubble! There is NO legal obligation. It's amazing how some sit at their computers and get so wrapped up in theirselves that they forget about human kindness and reality. And how we forget about making new friends and working with others.

I had heard that a large retail store is doing away with their self check out line. Many here do not know me personally. Well, I have from day one refused to use a self check out line. My mindset has ALWAYS been if I'm spending money at that business, I WANT to be waited on. So on the news they said the retail giant was doing away with self check out lines as an effort to get back to providing "Customer Service". And customer service is the foundation of my success.

When you operate an established business, you'll discover all sorts of different personalities nearly each day. And, it's a reality that some personalities you will never please. Or some personalities will simply not have a full understanding of how contracting works. And then ther are personalities that try to milk you for all they can.

The rubble is in the hole. And it's covered with soil. It's DONE.

I spoke with the concrete man on Sunday. And I told him "Ms. So & So is upset with me because she wanted me to communicate with you". I said "I have to communicate with her, I'm not in a position to hang up and call you and have the same conversation twice"

The concrete man's reply:
"what is there to communicate, there is no communication, take the concrete up and dump in hole, done!" He then expressed his gratitude for me offering him to dump there. he said "I know you offered as a way to help, and I appreciate it, you saved me about $200.00 which I passed that savings on to Ms. So & So."

Today he thanked me about 3 times and shook my hand. VERY VERY nice man. 60years old, and that guy worked circles around everyone there.

I participate in this forum as a hobby. And no! Not my main hobby! I enjoy helping others. And I also enjoy coming up with topics that most would never think of. You learn alot about the types of business men and personalities from the responses. And.....its hard for most to resist reading my topics!!

And for those of you saying that the issue is my issue and all the negativity directed towards me - I have a hard time believing you'd stop what you're doing to go help an old buddy search for his lost dog.

As I replied to Joseph D, I will not be revising the contracts. And I will continue to offer to help. I'm a small business owner and so is each and every single one of you that are here. No one here is operating a Tru-Green or Brickman operation, so relax and go enjoy what you do :)

thunderthud
09-27-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm late to the game, but let me chime in with my take.

I'd say 90% of my residential construction work is in-house and self completed. When me or my guys are onsite, I really want to be in charge. I have a system we use, my guys are comfortable with how we work, and when we bring someone else in, it really relies on us to manage the job.

We have three outside clients who are the CEO/presidents of some of our commercial buildings and we take care of their residential properties because we were asked and they wanted to not know the cost, only see the results.

I run into your situation all the time with those three. I've found it easier on us to simply act as the construction manager if the other subs will let me. Usually I just bring the client and their architect/engineer a Gantt chart from Timberline showing the job and how we propose to do it and wait for the client to approve it without asking the other subs they hired.

This winter our client had a new pool designed that replaced an existing pool, they asked us to build the bluestone patio, stacked stone wall and the new plantings. Looking at the plans it made sense for us to take on the role of GC/CM onsite because we'd end up fixing all the damage caused by everyone else. So I went to the pool guy and asked if while we demo the patio and pool we'll dig the new hole so all they had to do was come in and install the pool. He was hesitant because he was protecting his area and didn't want us ruining the work, but having seen the work done by these guys, I wasn't going to watch the yard we work so hard to maintain end up looking like Beirut circa 1986. Pool guys are not excavation experts as I have found out. I would have thought they were really good excavators, but aren't. Perhaps there are some out there, but in most cases, including my own backyard, they really could stand to go to Operator Level I training at Cat School in IL.

I also did the new plumbing connections and electrical connections to a location the landscape architect designated as part of my site work.

In the end, I might have had 10 hours of job coordination, and perhaps added a day on site doing the work. But I know we saved in the end because we had excavator mats on the grass, so the gunite truck didn't leave ruts on the lawn, we left a flat work area with level gravel base for them to work from and laid the base of the pool with 3/4 crushed using our slinger instead of relying on them to place it. We left them my washout tub to clean out the truck instead of using the yard or the hole. I also put up safety fencing to keep their kids and dogs out of the work zone and let a bin to put the debris they were either going to stuff into the garbage cans or throw in the hole as they backfilled. Again, my own pool I was cleaning out the hole from cardboard, miscellaneous fittings and Dunks cups.

This job I had more in because they were my client and I love the reputation I have with them, both at his house, and his office buildings.

I really like the opportunity to run a job if allowed. It saves the remaining few hairs on my head if I know how the puzzle pieces go together. In the case of the original job, I would have just said 'no problem' and went on my way. If the guy was a talker, I would have said 'hey, I need to make some money, can we chat on the jobsite, and perhaps buy beer at a later date?'

The question to ask is will I have less stress and sleep better if I am in charge making a couple of phone calls, or will I have annoyed people all around if I don't? I will admit my size of company probably makes my way easier for me. If I were smaller, I can't answer because I've never been there.

JoeyDipetro
09-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Welp, we started the job on Monday and have about 4 more hrs to finish tomorrow.

It's funny as how some really take theirselves so seriously that's it's a little extreme. And yeah, we also have some responses in this topic from my lawn fertilizer and sprinkler fans that have never really work in the excavating industry and responded solely for the sake of being hateful :)

First of all, making a verbal offer to dump a small quantity of rubble into a large hole does not bind one to anything other than accepting the rubble! There is NO legal obligation. It's amazing how some sit at their computers and get so wrapped up in theirselves that they forget about human kindness and reality. And how we forget about making new friends and working with others.

I had heard that a large retail store is doing away with their self check out line. Many here do not know me personally. Well, I have from day one refused to use a self check out line. My mindset has ALWAYS been if I'm spending money at that business, I WANT to be waited on. So on the news they said the retail giant was doing away with self check out lines as an effort to get back to providing "Customer Service". And customer service is the foundation of my success.

When you operate an established business, you'll discover all sorts of different personalities nearly each day. And, it's a reality that some personalities you will never please. Or some personalities will simply not have a full understanding of how contracting works. And then ther are personalities that try to milk you for all they can.

I spoke with the concrete man on Sunday. And I told him "Ms. So & So is upset with me because she wanted me to communicate with you". I said "I have to communicate with her, I'm not in a position to hang up and call you and have the same conversation twice"

"what is there to communicate, there is no communication, take the concrete up and dump in hole, done!" He then expressed his gratitude for me offering him to dump there. he said "I know you offered as a way to help, and I appreciate it, you saved me about $200.00 which I passed that savings on to Ms. So & So."

Today he thanked me about 3 times and shook my hand. VERY VERY nice man. 60years old, and that guy worked circles around everyone there.

I participate in this forum as a hobby. And no! Not my main hobby! I enjoy helping others. And I also enjoy coming up with topics that most would never think of. You learn alot about the types of business men and personalities from the responses. And.....its hard for most to resist reading my topics!!

And for those of you saying that the issue is my issue and all the negativity directed towards me - I have a hard time believing you'd stop what you're doing to go help an old buddy search for his lost dog.

As I replied to Joseph D, I will not be revising the contracts. And I will continue to offer to help. I'm a small business owner and so is each and every single one of you that are here. No one here is operating a Tru-Green or Brickman operation, so relax and go enjoy what you do :)

Why is it that each time a member disagrees with you, you feel the need to validate your purpose here on the site......like somebody here owes you for being here? You can be wrong....it's ok. If somebody says something you don't like, you like to respond with, "relax, I'm here to help....blah, blah." Why is it that if you are wrong, others need to relax? Can't help but notice that. If you like, I will take the time to dig through the site and post examples. However, I have a feeling that the regulars know what I'm talking about.

Obvioulsy, you have a lot of experience and can help, but damn, you are the one that needs to relax a little.

DVS Hardscaper
09-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Why is it that each time a member disagrees with you, you feel the need to validate your purpose here on the site......like somebody here owes you for being here? You can be wrong....it's ok. If somebody says something you don't like, you like to respond with, "relax, I'm here to help....blah, blah." Why is it that if you are wrong, others need to relax? Can't help but notice that. If you like, I will take the time to dig through the site and post examples. However, I have a feeling that the regulars know what I'm talking about.

Obvioulsy, you have a lot of experience and can help, but damn, you are the one that needs to relax a little.

Awe, Joseph has a crush on someone!

Posted via Mobile Device

vtscaper
09-28-2011, 10:43 PM

Sorry but i have to call you out here too dvs..

"taking yourself too seriously" is putting a limit on a thread to who can and cant respond. I have often wondered how someone running a business similar to my own would have the time or desire to so carefully craft this online personality... i think it may be more of a hobby then you let on...

this is a communication thing, a business thing and really somewhat of a common sense thing for anyone in any trade. Im sure there are plenty of sprinkler guys who can relate just fine and might have some insight to share... however that wouldnt matter because you banned them from responding...

lighten up, have a beer, just sit back and smile the next time some newb writes a humurous post or response..i dare ya

muddywater
09-29-2011, 08:16 PM
and the lesson here is to... stfu! I know sometimes it just keeps coming out of my mouth like a terrible hot unstoppable diarrhea.

DVS Hardscaper
09-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Im sure there are plenty of sprinkler guys who can relate just fine and might have some insight to share... however that wouldnt matter because you banned them from responding...

LOL! :laugh: Actually...a "sprinkler guy" DID respond last week. oh, about 4 long paragraghs. I don't know what it said. Anything more than a couple short paragraghs I don't read. I just know about an hour later a moderator deleted it and I had nothin to do with the deletion. Someone "banned" himself :laugh:

allinearth
09-30-2011, 08:10 AM
It would cost you much more than a phone call if the homeowner mis-communicates or forgets to call and you have a pile of debris to deal with. You can't win in this situation so best just to suck it up and take care of business. I would rather make the call and be sure its done than to rely on a homeowner that doesn't understand what needs to be done.

GreenLight
09-30-2011, 08:43 AM
LOL! :laugh: I don't know what it said. Anything more than a couple short paragraghs I don't read. :laugh:

Wow, if you played by those rules you wouldn't be able to read 90% of your own posts..

But seriously, sounds like the situation is settled and you ultimately did speak with the concrete guy and handled it. I didn't see the hate filled post, but I take your word for it. Life goes on and at the end of the day we all have our own ways of handling things. I know I have certainly had my share of "why did I ever even mention that?" moments when speaking with customers.

AztlanLC
09-30-2011, 09:29 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
and here comes the name calling, it sounds like elementary school :dancing:

DVS Hardscaper
09-30-2011, 10:31 PM
and here comes the name calling, it sounds like elementary school :dancing:

Haha, pointing out an observation :) Isn't name calling, two different contexts.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
09-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Wow, if you played by those rules you wouldn't be able to read 90% of your own posts..

But seriously, sounds like the situation is settled and you ultimately did speak with the concrete guy and handled it. I didn't see the hate filled post, but I take your word for it. Life goes on and at the end of the day we all have our own ways of handling things. I know I have certainly had my share of "why did I ever even mention that?" moments when speaking with customers.

There is a protocol to how to correctly build an interlocking pavement.

There is a protocol to expensing your new equipment purchase(s).

There is a protocol to what to look for when deciding what loader to buy.

But there is not a protocol for the magic of working with an assortment of clients, all with different indivudual personalities!

It's very easy for us (including myself) to sit at our laptops and dispense opinions. That's easy. yet can be far fetched if we haven't actually ever been in such a situation.

These types of topics can be fun and educating, with the right participation.

When things non routine take place, you must improvise and hope what you do doesn't come back to haunt you. You get caught in the moment.

Business is no different than life. Not everything is routine. If it was routine, there would be nothing to learn.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
10-01-2011, 12:55 AM
this is a communication thing, a business thing and really somewhat of a common sense thing for anyone in any trade.

Exactly. But the true irony is that the contracting industry as a whole lacks in communication and business skills. Those 2 items may be 2nd nature for you and I, but sadly it's not 2nd nature for a large portion of the industry. You customers have told you stories about how they had an unpleasant experience with the guy they used at their old house. And you stood there shaking your head in disbelief.

Back in July I went to meet with a client after doing an Online quote. As I was leaving the lady sAid to me "you have been very responsive, that's very unusual for your industry". The quoted statement isn't to self promote myself. But her "thats very unusual for your industry" is very very true and that statement did not just derive from thin air.

Posted via Mobile Device

JoeyDipetro
10-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Not a crush, just pointing out an observation.....you know about that. For as knowledgeable as you seem to be, one has to wonder why you are so childish with some of your replies. Come on dude, can somebody disagree with you and not get flamed?

DVS Hardscaper
10-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Not a crush, just pointing out an observation.....you know about that. For as knowledgeable as you seem to be, one has to wonder why you are so childish with some of your replies. Come on dude, can somebody disagree with you and not get flamed?

Here Joseph, since you obviously do not log into this site to share your business experience(s), and since it appears I'm on your mind quite a bit, you seem to have a thing for me, I am sending you a special little gift. Don't worry, it's our secret