PDA

View Full Version : opinions on Ryan mataway seeder

JCResources
09-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Anyone have opinions on the Ryan mataway slit seeders? I'm currently using a Billy Goat overseeder, works good with two passes in opposite directions.

Looking to increase production and reduce operator fatigue. We are having a monster overseeding season after the drought this summer.

For those that have used the Ryan, will they do a decent job with one pass?

and will the de-thatch reasonably well perhaps with a spring tine reel?

Thanks.

agrostis
09-20-2011, 06:47 PM
I have never used the billygoat. So i don't know what running that machine is like. But i will tell you that the ryan is slow. You probably won't see a increase in productivity and you will have to seed in two different directions.
The de-thatch reel is really just to help get grass seed to the ground. I woudn't use for straight de-thatching.

turfcobob
09-21-2011, 07:01 PM
The Ryan unit is a monster to run especially if you have hills. You will still have to do two pass seeding (this is true with all slit seeders so you can be accurate) Ryan blades are pricey and hard to change, unit is slow. It is top heavy and you cannot get spring blades unless they are new to the line. I can say these things as I helped develop the unit in 1988 when I was with Ryan. Look at the LS22 that Turfco has
turfco.com
http://www.turfcodirect.com/

JCResources
09-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks to agro and Bob for the replies. Agro you talked me out of it and I'm glad for it. There was a Ryan for sale at an auction nearby that I thought might be a deal. After your post it didn't sound like I'd be gaining much.

Had an idea that it was just a dream to be able to seed well with just one pass, just didn't know if such a machine existed.

Bob, thanks for the insider info I will be upgrading to a Turfco if it looks like we're heading into another seeding season in 2012 like we've had this year.

BTW, that Ryan seeder sold for $1700, looks pretty high compared to one of your LS-22s

Thanks again!http://www.facebook.com/pages/Legacy-Land-Care-LLC/256225321177

lawn king
09-22-2011, 03:49 PM
The ryan is old technology, it takes a lot of labor to manhandle!

turfcobob
09-22-2011, 04:04 PM
When folks are talking about one pass seeding they are usually talking about golf course seeders. They are expensive and when used on common turf they will eat parts. They are designed for nice turf on golf courses.

Another reason for two passes with the smaller seeders is for accuracy. You set the seeder as close to 50% of your total application and make your first pass. Then you measure your seed. If you used less than half your seed on the first pass, open it up a bit, less than half and you can close it up a bit and get an accurate seeding overall. Also seed on a 45 degree angle on your second pass so you are sure to fill all the spots you miss on the first pass. Just some hints for more you will have to call me this is too much typing... 520-836-8162