PDA

View Full Version : Design Build Operations Month to Month Income

chicagoguy77
09-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Hello all,

I've been doing mostly lurking on here and making good use of the search tool but I have a question I couldn't find an answer for I was hoping someone could help me out with. I went out on my own this year for the first year ever. Most of my experience is as a high end construction and later maintenance manager for big company's here in Chicago. I want to eventually break back into the maintenance game but this year I focused on residential design build with a patio emphasis. Next spring will be my first season with public marketing, I have a big yellow page ad "CD Size" and an optimized website in the works. Most of the season I was working alone and had a guy or two help me out with the labor intensive hardscape work but had some work droughts here and there. For the most part I'm happy with the season and the bills will get paid through the winter. My only marketing this year was word of mouth and flyering on slow days. (I distributed 4,000 flyers in April and May.) I completed 24 projects so far and expect to wrap up another 6 before Thanksgiving, 2 are in progress. So here's my question. My gross income percentage up until now and projected through this season are listed below by month. I'm big into data and feel like I had a slow mid season and wanted to know what everyone else's design build season looks like compared to this apples to apples. Average light and heavy months for design build enhancement work?

March 1%
April 17%
May 18%
June 15%
July 11%
August 13%
September 12%
October 9% (Projected)
November 7.5% (Projected)

Thanks everyone for whatever thought you may have on this subject.

DVS Hardscaper
09-20-2011, 11:33 PM
i don't know what your gross income percentages mean.

For a start up one man business, they will climb climb the 1st yr. You're going from $200 jobs to $3000 jobs. Know what I mean?

All I can say is we have been busier this year than we have in the last two years.

And for the first time since 2007 we have a backlog of work!!! (applause)

chicagoguy77
09-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks DVS, what I meant by percentage of gross income by month was I was trying to show where all my work was. I had a really strong April and May, a pretty busy June, July, August but since August I've been getting slower and slower. Is this kind of pattern typical for the hardscape guys in Zone 5? I thought I'd have a stronger finish but it seems like everyone is already thinking about winterizing their landscapes.

DVS Hardscaper
09-21-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm not sure what a zone 5 is, buy I'm sure it's very very lovely there.

For me the last 2 weeks of July and 1st 2 weeks of august are slow because everyone is vacationing. Home owners think hardscapes in spring. And early summer. For the most part. It's going to take a start up person a while before they have people calling year round for estimates.

I offer winter discounts as an incentive for folks to let us do the work now as opposed to waiting until spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

chicagoguy77
09-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks again DVS... Be thankful your not familiar with any zone 5 let alone the one I deal with. And it is very lovely... For another month.

DVS Hardscaper
09-21-2011, 11:55 PM
so I hear! I have a friend in Illinois!

PatriotLandscape
09-22-2011, 12:19 AM
August=February but with higher payroll
Posted via Mobile Device

TheBetterDoorhanger
09-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Hey there -- we have the perfect product for this time of year. Its our Seasonal Service Calendar. It allows you to give your customer a calendar reminding them of all the services they will need from you during the upcoming season. You can distribute this at the same time as you distribute your standard door hanger with our innovative Band-It design that allows you to distribute two ads at a time. Right now you can get 1,000 4.25 x 11 Door Hangers to put your standard advertising information on and 1,000 of the 6x9 Seasonal Calendars including Stick-It so they can post it on their fridge & be prepared to call you for the upcoming services... including design & freight for $255.

Go to http://www.adeasprinting.com/doorhangers-seasonalservicecalendar for more information OR
Request samples to be mailed to you at www.AdeasPrinting.com/free-samples so you can check them out

or just give us a call if you need more information -- 866-778-4254

Thanks!
Robin Christopherson
Adeas Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com