PDA

View Full Version : walk behind question

BOTURF
11-05-2002, 08:55 PM
I just got the new copy of grounds and it state in the back you could figure getting 100 hrs per horse rating on a gas engine , well that ,means my 17 horse kaw is about shot with 1600 hrs on it but it still seems to run very well and actually i have had no engine problems .So what do you guys think ? I was hoping to get about 2500 hrs out ofit before getting rid of it .

dmk395
11-05-2002, 08:56 PM
That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I have a 3.5 horsepower poulan 20" with thousands of hours on it.

greenman
11-05-2002, 09:09 PM
I agree with DMK. I have an old lawnboy that probably 15 yrs. old at least. Theres no telling how many hours is on that old thing. Never been any work done to the mower.

Scotlawncare
11-05-2002, 09:57 PM
the main thing here is MAINTANCE. I don't care if you have a 31hp diesel or a 3hp briggs, it aint going to last 500 hours without some regular maint.

Now whoever said take the hp x 100 will give you the life expectancy is full of it. i've seen several small engines with 1000's of hours on them. the key is if you maintain them well, i.e. oil change at reg intervals and clean air and fuel filter.

Scot

GrassMaster84
11-05-2002, 10:05 PM
I agree with scotlawncare. You should definately be able to get 2500 hrs out a 17hp engine with the right maintenance and protection from the weather!!..

kenneth parsons
11-05-2002, 11:03 PM
I have a Lesco 52" Hydro with the 17 KAW. I had changed the oil regularly and performed daily filter maintenance. This spring the thing suddenly began knocking and the bottom end came off in the middle of a 4 acre job. It's a 97 model and only had 300 hours on it. Put a brand new 17 KAW on it and bought a 23/60 Laser 2 weeks later. I haven't put 2 hours on the Lesco since buying the laser. I wish I would've gotten 100 hrs per hp out of that engine. I think I'll sell the lesco!

Trav
11-05-2002, 11:21 PM
Ken, I was thinking about getting a lesco 48" wb hydro only 3300.00 should I steer clear of it? or do you think the new ones are built better? They look well made to me . Thanks for any help.
Trav

mowngrow
11-06-2002, 12:31 AM
do your regular maintenance and drive it til the wheels fall off.

ProMo
11-06-2002, 08:58 AM
my old scag ztr got 1000 hrs before blowing up and covering me with oil it had oil change every 25 hrs i believe it was because there old design had the motor under the seat and it didnt cool properly because they changed that design soon after i bought it that was the last orange machine ill ever own

GarPA
11-06-2002, 09:22 AM
speaking of maintenance....how often do you guys change oil in the larger engines? I know what the book says but it seems too many hours between changes...mine is a 23 kaw

rodfather
11-06-2002, 05:51 PM
50 hours or so on the 17's and 23 Kawis, Gary.

lawnkid
11-06-2002, 06:00 PM
That figure is prabably averaged out to guys who just change the oil, put gas in, and do some minor repairs when needed not to prevent problems. In my flyer it states that we not only do regular maintenance but we check our mowers daily o assure that we won't have a breakdown while mowing your lawn, and have to come back.

Gravely_Man
11-06-2002, 06:05 PM
I have heard this mentioned on another site. I totally disagree with this as if you had a 1hp engine it would only run 100hrs?

Gravely_Man

TLS
11-06-2002, 06:13 PM
Page 44 of Grounds Maintenance lists engines from 20 to "Over 100" hp. Doesn't list a 17 hp anything?

Now in the article it does schmooze over about a magic 100hrs/hp but I dont see that as correct.

I also see problems with the diesel chart. There are MANY compact tractors out there with small 14-25hp Diesels (Yanmar, Kubota, etc) that have well over 5-7000hrs and are still working great.

I would say though that on a WB mower with a 14-17hp engine, the expected 100hrs/hp is pretty darn close. I only have 492 hrs on my 1996 SCAG WB (doesn't get much use) but I seriously doubt it'll ever make the 1400hr mark. If it does, I'll be happy. I beleive that its the short runs that it gets thats the hardest on it. It gets 50 hr oil and filter changes and regular air filter cleanings, but it just doesn't sound like a healthy 1/3 of its life engine should.

Scotlawncare
11-06-2002, 06:18 PM
50 hours on all small engines is what i do no matter what size.

Scot

CMerLand
11-06-2002, 06:47 PM
Hey guys,

I think you may all be missing the big point regarding hours expected out of an engine. I didnt see the article but just from your replies let me throw out this idea and see if any lights go off at looking at things from a different point of view.

How many of you have ever sat down and figured out what each piece of equipment costs you to own per hour?? In order to figure your job costs you have to know your equipment costs per hour. To arrive at that, you take the purchase price+finance charges+maintenance costs+fuel costs+storage costs etc etc etc. Then you have to divide by the lifetime hours inspected to get back out of this machine. Where does that number come from???? YOU MAKE IT UP!!!!

The bigger the number the more hours that machine has to work before you recover your costs from that machine. The smaller your number the higher your per hour costs are when bidding your lawns.

It doesnt mean that your wheels fall off when you roll over that hour you guess. In fact if anything, the longer it runs past that happier you should be cause now your making gravy from that piece of equipment, since its already paid for itself anything more is just money in your pocket.

Lets not be so tunnel visioned about what you read out there and sometimes we all have to switch off our mechanics hats and wear the business mans hat from time to time. Your business will be glad you did.

CMerrick