PDA

View Full Version : Overseeded. Is it safe to mow?

slemon
09-21-2011, 01:02 PM
I overseeded my lawn 9 days ago with KBG/RYE mix. I see seed germination in bare spots but established lawn looks like it needs a mowing. Should I mow now to give germinating KBG more room as it still has ways to go or would I do more harm?

JDiepstra
09-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Id wait......

PowerstrokeWalker
09-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Wait.......We always mow ours a little shorter then seed it so we can go 2 to 3 weeks before mowing again

slemon
09-21-2011, 03:24 PM
I did cut lower than usual before overseeding but I'll wait. We are getting some cold nights. Today was like 47F. Will that slow the germination and growth?

agrostis
09-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Cold weather will slow down growth but not enough at this time of year. Don't mow until you can't pull the new grass shoots out of the ground easily.

gqnine44
09-21-2011, 07:17 PM
You guys really dont mow for people who you seeded for two to three weeks? I dont see how that is feasible or profitable. We mow - carefully and perhaps avoid the bare areas but I dont see how there is any other choice but to mow the lawn.

PowerstrokeWalker
09-21-2011, 07:37 PM
You guys really dont mow for people who you seeded for two to three weeks? I dont see how that is feasible or profitable. We mow - carefully and perhaps avoid the bare areas but I dont see how there is any other choice but to mow the lawn.

What a joke>>>>>feasible or profitable:hammerhead::nono::confused:
Its called QUALITY<<<<<<<<<<<can you imagine seeding a multi million dollar or for that matter a 80,000 home then mowing in one week NOT ME!!!!!
They pay good money and I'm not mowing it for at least two weeks

slemon
09-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Yeah, obviously I'm after quality not feasibility :)

gqnine44
09-21-2011, 08:03 PM
What a joke>>>>>feasible or profitable:hammerhead::nono::confused:
Its called QUALITY<<<<<<<<<<<can you imagine seeding a multi million dollar or for that matter a 80,000 home then mowing in one week NOT ME!!!!!
They pay good money and I'm not mowing it for at least two weeks

Yeah I can imagine it - I do it. Have you ever tried it or do you just assume your gonna mess it all up? If anything the seed comes in faster in the areas where the tires have pressed it down. I wouldnt let my customer's lawn get a foot tall while I wait for seed to germinate - that doesnt make sense - is that a joke? As I said, I would mow around the very bare areas while the seed is coming up but I dont believe you can not cut the whole lawn for two whole weeks or more while the grass is coming up.

Geesh is this whole board full of rookies or what?

PowerstrokeWalker
09-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Yeah I can imagine it - I do it. Have you ever tried it or do you just assume your gonna mess it all up? If anything the seed comes in faster in the areas where the tires have pressed it down. I wouldnt let my customer's lawn get a foot tall while I wait for seed to germinate - that doesnt make sense - is that a joke? As I said, I would mow around the very bare areas while the seed is coming up but I dont believe you can not cut the whole lawn for two whole weeks or more while the grass is coming up.

Geesh is this whole board full of rookies or what?

A foot tall??????????Are we talking mowing in may or lat sept to oct
Damn grass is not growing that fast now.
As far as a rookie goes we can compare yards anytime you would like.
Damn you started this crap with your comment on mowing short and waiting one to two weeks.Get over it!

PowerstrokeWalker
09-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Damn cant we ALL get along:drinkup:Have a beer on me