PDA

View Full Version : Honda Commercial Walkbehinds????

Lawn Sharks
11-05-2002, 09:20 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 Honda Commercial Walkbehind (Model HRC 7013ZXA) 48" with Hydrostatic for $600. Needs a little work but nothing I can't do over the winter by myself. It has 619 hours on it.

My local dealer is Toro,Exmark and Scag and says he doesn't know much about these mowers as there are none working in the area although he can easily get parts for it if I buy it.

My question is:

Has anyone used one of these or someone that does and if so what are your impressions of it. Good mower? Bad mower? Good cut? Bad cut?

Please let me know as soon as possible as I am not sure this will last long.

Cheers,
Keth

:blob1:

greenman
11-05-2002, 09:27 PM
Do a search. You'll find your answer I'm sure. Only way I would buy it is if I could turn right around and sell it for more $. I wouldn't use one.

Scotlawncare
11-05-2002, 09:31 PM
i had the gear drive and it sucked. the cut was ok but the controls were wierd. I did notice that the hydo had real low controls. I do NOT like the larger honda motors and trying to get parts for them is crazy. Almost every one has to come from God knows where. Cost for maint is high due to having to pay for the Honda name on the parts.

My opionion is to WALK away. Go find a good used Exmark Turf Tracer or Belt drive Metro. Make sure you have a Good dealer in your area for the mower you are going to buy. Dealer support will make almost any mower better.

Scot

IBGreen
11-05-2002, 09:34 PM
I asked the same question last month and g-man was the first one to answer with the same reply! De-ja-vu. If its only $600 I would buy it, it will pay for itself in two weeks. I love Honda but everyone said don't buy there commercial wb. I would say exmark I got to demo one because GREENMAN wouldn't let me try his out haha! Anyway, $600? Buy it tonight!

Brandon Shaw
Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

greenman
11-05-2002, 09:37 PM
Brandon- you can demo my Exmark anytime. You just have to answer your cell phone:D

<-------
Oh yeah, dont get too close to my little dude, he might get your shirt dirty.

Lawn Sharks
11-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Greenman,
Why wouldn't you use one? Have you had a bad experience with it or have heard bad things about the Honda Walkbehinds? Curious where you get your opinion from as it would be most helpful to know.

Cheers,
Keth

greenman
11-05-2002, 10:00 PM
No, I have not personally owned or used one, because I asked around and was told that they were not all that good. I have also heard that the larger Honda engines aren't that good, either. As far as the smaller engines, I have a 5.5 hp that on a 21". Its been through abuse.Its 3 years old and the engine has never given me any trouble.

Scotlawncare said that he had one, and I know that there are a couple of others that have owned one.

Lawn Sharks
11-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Greenman,
Thanks for the info. It is valuable. I hope to hear from some people, other than Scot, who have had their hands on one of these machines so I can make an informed decision. So far the input from the forum is leaning towards not buying it. We shall see!

Cheers,
Keth

65hoss
11-05-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by greenman
Scotlawncare said that he had one, and I know that there are a couple of others that have owned one.

I bought this one new and then sold it to Scot with less than 80 hours on it. It had a few issues that needed to be fixed at that point. It took the dealer forever to find the correct parts and get them in. Honda's support on the larger units completely sucked. The dealer I got it from is great. They are a registered honda dealer and service center. They had the worst time getting anybody at honda that knew anything about these units. Scot cuts part-time and over the next year the mower was down more than it was up. Finding the parts and getting them was extremely stressful. Not to mention expensive. The motor makes decent power it just has a lot of little things that can and will go wrong. So, $600 wouldn't make me buy it. Its not worth sinking your money into. Plus, parts in the future will be even worse to get. Honda doesn't want to play in the comm'l midsize mower market anymore.

mowngrow
11-05-2002, 11:16 PM
i have never used any of their comm. wbs before, only their 21" stuff. the 21s are great. the only dealer in my area that i know of was Reeds in Little rock and they do not carry any of their larger stuff only the 21s

scagman
11-06-2002, 02:30 AM
Look over the deck closely for cracks, especially around the spindles. Couple years back I mowed for a service and I used a 48" Honda with the 13 hp. I cant say anything bad about it. They mow surprisingly well in the wet and Honda must have cranked those little motors up, becuase it had adequate power. I would definetly buy it. I will say that this season he replaced the whole deck, so look it over. I think it cost him around a grand, he was lucky to have found it in a wharehouse.

lawnperfections
11-06-2002, 11:21 AM
My Honda has 400 hours on it. No problems so far.

Bill Davis
11-06-2002, 11:24 AM
IB i told you that you were welcome to try mine. By the way i have tried calling you to send work your way but when you dont answer the phone it doesn't work to well.

Green Pastures
11-06-2002, 12:37 PM
I've never even seen a Honda W/B, and did not know they even made larger commercial mowing equipment, WHERE have I been? Anybody have a link to where you can see these things?

Nevermind, I found it.

Scotlawncare
11-06-2002, 05:46 PM
Just remember guys that Honda DOES NOT make the mower anymore. They are no longer in the Commercial market so those units are no longer being produced. they were produced for only two years so my guess is that Honda will not be producing parts for them soon. If your going to buy a mower make sure that the company still makes them or you can find parts for it. I have yet to find aftermarket deck parts for the honda ie spindles. Oh, just to let you know. the honda spindles are $200 EACH. NO AFTERMARKET avail. I checked with two dealers.

Just some other info to add to the fire.

Scot

Lawn Sharks
11-06-2002, 07:21 PM
I bought the machine today. It was in much better shape than I expected. Was owned by a welder who was given it in lieu of payment of a bill. he got a trailer and this mower and only needed the trailer for his snowmobile. The debt that was paid off was for $1200 so he figured the trailer was worth $600 and that meant the mower was worth $600 as well. I told him these mowers retailed for much more than that when new. To make a long story short I fired it up (second pull) and took it for a long drive (almost 40 minutes) to get the hydros warmed up. Mowed some heavy wet grass on a hill with snow and leaves mixed in and it never had trouble except for one steep area that would be the limit of most WB's. Hydros seemed fine. Engine had no smoke and the plug was the perfect chocolate brown color after the heavy test ride. Need a new tire due to a slow leak.

I had talked to my local dealer before going to see the machine and he gave me some tips on what to look for as well as what was offered by our faithful forum participants. Two of the three spindles were perfect and well greased (nipples on all) and the far right spindle had a slight bit of movement and may need to be replaced. Deck was solid, no cracks and only a few spots of rust. I talked to him about the cost of replacing the spindle as idle chit chat and he said " I will give it to you for $500 since I have no use for it". I said sure, we loaded it in my truck, drove it home, changed the oil and proceeded to mow about an acres worth of wet grass with no problem. At top speed I could barely keep up with it. This will be a fun winter garage project getting it all perfect and I feel I could sell it tomorrow for more than what I paid so no harm done.

Pros - engine is strong for its hp rating.
built like a tank
hydro (oh so sweet)
price
size (will cut significant time off of my jobs)

Cons- fixed deck ( would have preferred a floating deck obviously but beggars can't be choosers)
pistol grips are not a great design and will take some getting used to (they changed this in later models for a good reason)
no mulch plate ( will weld one that will work)
spindle repair or live with it
needed a tire (ordered two four plys)
can't seem to find Gators for this (will have to figure this one out!!)

Cheers,
Keth

lawnMaster5000
11-06-2002, 10:12 PM
good to hear that the mower is in good condition, I did reply to your email - but i guess that wont matter anymore.

Gators are available and If you cant get them let me know and i can give you my dealers name - he can hook you up.

Your spindles should be good so disregard what i said in my email about the old greaseless spindles being junk.

I would suggest changing Hydro oil just to make sure that you know its good oil. Any 30 weight engine oil is think is what you are supposed to use.

and ohh ya - get a velke TOMARROW

Lawn Sharks
11-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Scott,
Received your email and enjoyed it. Thanks.

As for the Gators, is it a particular model from another mower that fits? I have searched some sites and didnt see a direct reference to the 7048 model that I have so I am assuming that I will need to either retrofit or perhaps am lucky that another model is perfect.

Good suggestion on the hydro oil. It states "Only use 10-40" next to the hydro fill. I spent 12 years sailing around the South Pacific on a sailboat that had a lot of hydraulics on it. I hate working on them so I ordered two new tires and when they arrive at my dealer (two days) I am dropping the mower off for a complete hydro oil and filter change along with the new tires (another job I hate!) That should get me through the summer.

The weather this weekend is supposed to be nice so I am going to do a final mulch and mow with my neighbor who has a 13 hp leaf blower. We work together and get both yards done in record time. He is a superintendent at a very prestigious golf course so we have some fun. I snuck the new mower into the garage when he wasnt around so it will be very funny to see the look on his face when I drive the new hydro out for our Saturday leaf fest. Woo Hoo!

Cheers,
Keth

Scotlawncare
11-07-2002, 05:40 PM
Honda did make a true mulch kit for their mowers. I ordered one for the 36 i did have. you might be able to find one somewhere. Also if you plan on keeping this mower for a while, get your dealer to give you a parts breakdown for it so it will help in ordering parts if YOU know the exact part number.

As for gators, I think that mower can use the same size blade as exmarks. i'd carry in a blade so dealer can measure it.

Scot

HarryD
11-07-2002, 07:52 PM
I bet you could buy the bearings for those spindles and rebuild them for under $30 a piece .I know I could . if the bearing housing is not craked why would replace the whole thing :confused: alot of guys just replace the whole bearing assembly because its alot easier or they dont want the hassle of tearing the assembly apart . somtimes removing the shaft can be a bit tuff if you dont have a press

blades
just take off one of the old ones and messure it and go that route most blades are pretty much the same on all walk behinds

greenman
11-07-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Bill Davis
IB i told you that you were welcome to try mine. By the way i have tried calling you to send work your way but when you dont answer the phone it doesn't work to well.

He wouldn't answer when I called either. Just send the work my way:)

IBGreen
11-07-2002, 09:52 PM
Sorry green, but don't be buttin in on my mooch work!:D

greenman
11-07-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by IBGreen
Sorry green, but don't be buttin in on my mooch work!:D

:D I would never purposely take a friend LCOs work.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-07-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Keth
built like a tank
hydro (oh so sweet)
pistol grips are not a great design and will take some getting used to (they changed this in later models for a good reason)
needed a tire (ordered two four plys)
can't seem to find Gators for this (will have to figure this one out!!)

1st built like a tank; that is one of the reasons Honda got out of the market, they were not built like tanks,

2nd they never changed the design on the mowers, second reason Honda got out of this part of the market.

Blades for mower easy to find from "any" dealer. Same with tires.

If you can't find a part for this mower, e-mail me I know where you can get them, but I have to know which part it is first so don't e-mail me asking where.

I had a few Honda's for a short time, got rid of them in a hurry.

It does cut n stripe pretty well.

Bill Davis
11-07-2002, 10:58 PM
I think the problem with old IB is the wife is keeping him busy doing chores around the house so much that he cant take calls from friends. :D