PDA

View Full Version : My version of a ride on spreader ....

KLMlawn
11-06-2002, 02:22 AM
OK, I already had the Stander, so why not attach a Spyker 120?
The sprayer and boom will be mounted by spring.

KLMlawn
11-06-2002, 03:19 AM
Probably cost about the same , if not less, than another certain gentlemans creation, but mine can cut too :D :D :blob3:

Runner
11-06-2002, 11:05 AM
That will most certainly work. Great mower design to do this with. All you have tod do, is make sure you have your calibration down for the rpm's of the spinner. A speedometer would be helpful with this to keep it consistent once you have the calibration settings down.

PaulJ
11-06-2002, 11:08 AM
Another Lco here uses a Jrco speader on his 52" dane Surfer. Similar set up.

Ive been thinking of ounting a Lesco or other front mount spreader on a garden tractor I have, or would I lose so much turning radius that I'd be wasting time, I also have a old snapper RER out in the shed I thought using.
Any Ideas?
Or am I stuck walking until more money is in hand?

KLMlawn
11-06-2002, 11:17 AM
For calibration, I have found that if I just idle the engine at about 2000 RPM, that gives me just enough groundspeed to equate to about 4 MPH. I know all the SqFt of all of my properties, so I know if I am putting down to much or too little by how much product I am using for a given area. If Iknow I have a 5 K lawn and I am using about half a bag of product labeled to cover 10K, then I am about right on. For regular fert. apps, it is ok to be a hair under or over, but it is apps like Merit and the like that you want to really watch your rates or you could lose a few bucks, not to mention the uneccessary over application.

morturf
11-06-2002, 01:51 PM
The combo looks very good.

Just a quick note. Make sure you wash out the pulley area very well after you apply. It will get very rusty in a very short time. The main reason I went with a dedicated unit is because I climb a lot of curbs and obsticles. The speed you mention would not work for me. i run flat out most of the time because most of my yards are in the neighborhood of 20k. I apply to about 140 acres each round. I find a 5k yard is easier to just push than mess with a rider. I do like the thing though. Yesterday I did a 10 acre place in 1.5 hrs. That was really nice!! Good luck with your unit, looks good!!

HBFOXJr
11-07-2002, 12:31 PM
It's a shame to use a good mower around nasty acid fert. You won't hardly be able to wash it enough to eliminate the damge corrosion will do.

Nothing wrong with the general idea though.