PDA

View Full Version : Is the aeration and seeding business down in your area?

guitarman2420
09-23-2011, 06:08 PM
The aeration and seeding business is down for me this year. We've had 3-4 lost days of rain this month; but it seems that more people are banding together in neighborhoods and renting aerators. I was at Home Depot this week and one morning there must have been 5 pickups lined up loading rental aerators, without any kind of company logo on their trucks. My guess they are homeowners or non-professionals trying to make a few bucks. Also, how do most of you advertise for your aeration business? I use my normal Yellow Pages add that gets me some exposure on Google, etc., and a local newspaper ad. The local newspaper ad seems to be a waste this year. I think print advertising is dead.

Golfpro21
09-23-2011, 06:39 PM
we are actually up in this revenue stream....me mostly just market to our 90 + weekly accounts, they are the best and easiest to sell services on....include them in a maintenance package. We also have 30+ clients that do their own weekly mowing but want a fert/aeration/seeding package.

Our best approach at increasing revenue was to use a special 100% 4-way kentucky seed mix that is out of this world....the lawns we demoed it on last year look crazy this year...people stop and look and then call and say."I want my lawn to look like that"

corey4671
09-23-2011, 07:16 PM
my business is through the roof on this compared to last year. Click my website in my signature. I made a video that is the front page of my website promoting aeration. I've actually had people tell me that they called based on what they saw in the video. I run an ad in a local paper that goes into 18k households every week free of charge and I also advertise on this paper's website. This week alone my site has had nearly 1700 visits. I would also add that I get several calls from homeowners who are going in with neighbors to try and get a "deal".

guitarman2420
09-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Great points. I have had people also call who have gotten several of their neighbors together to negotiate a better rate. That's all good . . . saves everyone money. I must admit, I'm arriving late to the Facebook and Twitter lifestyle. I know it's a great way to reach people. I'm planning on totally reworking my advertising and marketing this off season to using more social networking and all but eliminating "paid for" print advertising. Do you sell mostly aerating only or seed and fert packages? I'm selling aeration, seed & fert for less than 10k sq feet for $140.00

TuffWork
09-23-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm selling aeration, seed & fert for less than 10k sq feet for $140.00

I'm about the same pricing as you, but I will only do that price for less than 7k square feet.

fert - 40
seed - 40
aerate - 60

My sales are further down than I expected. I thought the drought would be a great selling point and get people on board. However, most people are at complete apathy about the way their yard looks at this point. Especially since all of them around here look bad.

PS It amazes me how few people can spell aeration right. I've seen two fliers this year with is spelled wrong. One said airation and the other said ariation. :laugh:

guitarman2420
09-23-2011, 10:41 PM
I've heard it misspelled as aereation! I guess golf people call it airified.

Exact Rototilling
09-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Okay..how does you group rate work? I'm assuming you have the potential clients talk it up in the neighborhood...to get the lower price? I see this working fine on smaller properties such as 1/3 or less. It seems the big application Co here already have cut rates on 1/2 to full acre plus lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device

guitarman2420
09-25-2011, 08:25 AM
I try not to do the large 1/2 to 1 acre lots - I can do better by doing the smaller ones and complete 3 in an hour rather than 1 large one that takes an hour or more - plus usually you drive further for the larger lots. I use a 2 man approach - one large pull behind aerator and a walk behind - then one seeds and the other one aerates.