PDA

View Full Version : Dodge dump truck w/ V10

dutchacres
09-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Ok guys I was going to get out of the business but with the economy the way it is I am just going to keep on doing what I am doing. A little about my business I started in 1999 and I have cut back to just me and possibly one other guy when I need the extra help. I do everything from mowing, mulch, shrub trimming and snow removal. Right now I am very small because I was going to get out but I'm going to go ahead and stay in for awhile longer. I have a 16' enclosed trailer which houses my Deere Z930A 60" mulch on demand and my 52" Scag Pro V walkbehind as well as all my handheld stuff. My customer right now are 3 large commercial properties and one residential lawn. All the commercial properties I do everything at. So here is my point and my question. I have a 2007 Nissan Titan that I pull my stuff with now but I don't want to put a plow on it. I have found a super nice 2001 dodge 4 wheel drive dump truck. My budget is limited and I am thinking I will just sell or trade the Titan for the dodge. My only concern is reliability on the dodge since it is a V10 and not the cummins. So what would you guys do if you were me?
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
09-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Oh the Dodge has only 51,000 miles on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

JD7210
09-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Fuel Mileage isnt the best, but you will be fine. We ran one to 200k miles and no major issues. I think there was a few issues with the early V10's, but towards the end of their production run they turned out to be a good motor

32vld
09-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Problem is the v10 is going to suck up the gas. Enough to say keep your current truck to landscape with and the V10 to plow with.

Plowing puts a lot a wear on a truck. I can see it having a dump being handy if you don't have a dump trailer. Thing is how often do you need a dump now?

I think if you wanted one truck or can only afford one truck to landscape and plow then a 1/2 or 3/4 ton with a 350 to be better suited then a v 10.

THEGOLDPRO
09-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Considering hes only got 4 accounts he wont be doing THAT much driving between accounts, so i really woulden't worry about the gas consumption. As for the reliability of a v10 i woulden't worry about it too much we have 100k on our v10 with no problems.

dutchacres
09-23-2011, 10:49 PM
I wish I could afford to have both trucks as I love my Titan. I would use a dump more often if I had one and I won't be stuck on four accounts long as I am planning a marketing blitz here this fall to line up a bunch more work. Thing I thought about doing is just renting a skid loader this winter and buying a push box but if we don't get any snow I am screwed big time. At least with the truck I can use it year around and I am not out anything really besides the cost of installing the plow. Have you guys had any transmission issues with your trucks? Seems to be a common problem with Dodge. That is really about the only thing that is a concern. I'm going to talk to the dealer Monday and see if I can take it to may buddy that is a mechanic so we can check it out with a fine toothed comb. They only want $14,900 but I think I'm going to offer 11,500 out the door.
Posted via Mobile Device