PDA

View Full Version : Organic Lawn Equipment?

AllBrad
09-24-2011, 02:00 AM
I would like to know what other organic companies are using for maintenance equipment. Reel, electric, rotary? Is your company just organic or Eco? What type of grass? Thanks.

Smallaxe
09-24-2011, 09:45 AM
We travel around with 6 goats per k, for an hour of mowing an charge extra for fertilizing... anyother man made energy source is no more green than the next... :)

AllBrad
09-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Well, there is organic, which is basically soil science and not grass science. Then there is eco-friendly which I take as pushing a reel. I have one for my personal lawn, but doubt many will pay extra to use one in there lawn. Then finally there is natural, which puts everyone out of business. Natural would be the goats, or the 6 foot lawns. We have a guy on our local craigslist selling eco-friendly mole removal. He will bring his daschound (however you spell it) around and let nature do its thing.

AllBrad
09-24-2011, 07:23 PM
smallaxe, Perhaps you are serious about the goats. Are you?

Patriot Services
09-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Not even the goats are 100% organic. They produce methane and you still have to transport them. I still maintain my view that this planet barely cares we are here. Despite our best efforts to eradicate various lifeforms nature adapts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
09-24-2011, 07:29 PM
smallaxe, Perhaps you are serious about the goats. Are you?

I'm serious that it would work well, but equally serious it may not sell well... besides only giving you 1 lawn per day... :)

AllBrad
09-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Well are you still using gas powered rotary mowers. I live in alabama, and we have the thick warm season grasses. Today I purchased a fiskars 18 inch, and it does a really great job on St. Augustine. However, if I were to offer an eco-friendly service (including organic soil etc.), I will have to wait for a battery powered zero turn that last all day long or get about 3-4 guys pushing along with me to compete with my 48" zero turn. Then I have to pay for all that mess. So is anyone doing anything eco-friendly succesfully, or is everyone just organic soil with gas powered rocket mowers?

Smallaxe
09-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Not even the goats are 100% organic. They produce methane and you still have to transport them. I still maintain my view that this planet barely cares we are here. Despite our best efforts to eradicate various lifeforms nature adapts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Batteries get recharged from coal burning plants or nuclear, methane is a constant companion to swamps and rain forests as well as CO2(plant food), recycling cost more in fossil fuel energy from beginning to end, so unless you have a religious belief about Gaia, it really appears to be a scam.

I agree with you, the planet barely knows were here in the sense of CO2 and methane, but I would like to know the radiation levels of the atmosphere, sea and soils resulting from Japan's fallout episode... :)

Patriot Services
09-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Considering Siemens is rumoured to be abruptly pulling out of the nuclear game I would say there might be a global shift on nuke futures.
Posted via Mobile Device

AllBrad
09-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I guess no one is going to answer my ?.

Kiril
09-25-2011, 11:43 PM
I still maintain my view that this planet barely cares we are here. Despite our best efforts to eradicate various lifeforms nature adapts.

Sorry man, but this has got to be one of the most ignorant things I have read here lately. :dizzy:

There is no such thing as a zero foot print lawn or zero foot print landscape. There are a variety of "Eco-friendly" options .... find one that works and run with it. The important thing is you try to do it in a sustainable fashion.

phasthound
09-26-2011, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=Kiril;4169813]Sorry man, but this has got to be one of the most ignorant things I have read here lately. :dizzy:
/QUOTE]

What is ignorant about his statement?

AllBrad
09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
I am not asking if anyone has found a zero foot print solution. I am asking the people reading this organic forum what equipment they use. If I go to the regular residental and commercial mowing section, I will get replies like," I love my hustler 104 inch 57 hp walk behind and what do you mean about alfalfa pellets". I personally use a 19 hp 48" bobcat for a solo operation.
But I want to know what the guys that are using organics are using. The guys reading this post.

magicmike
10-04-2011, 08:37 PM

Organic would mean the type of soil you use, fertilizer, etc.

So your question is about "eco friendly" equipment so if you want to go to a full "eco friendly" company the only thing i think you would be able to do is get a bunch of batteries installed into your truck and get some electric mowers and other equipment, and charge them in the truck, not sure how long they take to charge and everything, and this will probably cost a pretty penny. Equipment is not ORGANIC.

quiet
10-04-2011, 10:59 PM
I've always had a silly idea of pulling a gang reel set up behind an electric golf cart . . .

phasthound
10-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Sheep will mow and fertilize turf, goats will prune and fertilize shrubs. :)

gardengreen
11-28-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm using all propane powered equipment. I have a 48" walk behind with a 17hp kawi running on propane as well as my 22" push ,trimmer and small blower.

CHARLES CUE
11-28-2011, 09:06 PM

Are you asking about mowers? organic mowers no wonder you got smart a## answers [Goats no even cut and no striping ]

Goats can also be a organic pesticide they pull nimble will out one piece at a time.

Charles Cue

Turboguy
11-29-2011, 07:14 AM
I am waiting for the day they genetically engineer goats to only eat weeds.

gunsnroses
11-29-2011, 09:32 AM
I think you would be better off encouraging your customers into getting rid of turf all together or (reducing the amount to be able to push reel), or establishing a different type of grass to be mowed a few times per year. In my opinion turf maintenance (pretty grass) and "organic" is somewhat mixing oil and water. I wonder if and how long it will take for an average maintained pretty lawn to be priced out of existence. To answer your question about the mower.... I am not organic so my answer is invalid, but you did make me think about....what mower gives the best cutting gal per k....or lowest carbon footprint per k? Carbon footprint of an electrical mower would change depending on electric source. Like most questions on this forum, your answers are not exactly what you wanted.

Ticolawnllc
11-29-2011, 11:04 AM
I am waiting for the day they genetically engineer goats to only eat weeds.

Just let the goats eat every thing and bill yearly. Talk about zero foot print

cleanairNC
12-14-2011, 12:49 PM
These guys are doing it right!! Using electric equipment and charging spent batteries with a solar set-up right on the truck. We also use organic fertilizers, bio-diesel(when applicable), and purchase carbon offsets for our vehicle use.

www.cleanairlawncare.com

PM me if you have any questions.

AllBrad
05-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the response cleanair. Guess I am not ready for this forum. Maybe it's cause Im from ALABAMA. currently making a mower out of sticks and stones. Hard to keep the "blades" sharp.

AllBrad
05-14-2012, 04:08 PM
To everyone in this forum and on this site. Thank you for all the information you have shared with all. It has been a pleasure learning the other parts of the business. I have spent 20+ years behind some type of equipment and have spent the last 4 years behind this site. I know that my question could have been approached differently. I suppose all the joking on my behalf is just part of the learning one must suffer through. Once again, and sincerly, thanks for all the information and all the time spent on this site. Now I have to go back to work. Then back to the books and hopefully soon the microscope.
AllBrad

cbrickey
05-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas. I have been thinking this over and while goats will not work for this application, sheep and/or cows, etc. will and that would be great to take care of a field that I am getting tired of bush hogging. I also love the idea of solar panels on a truck.
To answer ur ? I walk to most of my jobs and pull my equipment in a wagon. I am trying to figure out a cheap way to mount it to a bicycle soon. I do use gas equipment, but I try to do everything else I can by hand (ex. edging, weeding, etc.) and will maybe try a reel mower soon.