PDA

View Full Version : Very inspiring video - light from plastic bottles

steveparrott
09-24-2011, 10:18 AM
http://youtu.be/JOl4vwhwkW8

Lite4
09-24-2011, 12:32 PM
.05 solar tube. Now he needs to find some phosphorescent liquid to fill those things up with for nightfall.
Posted via Mobile Device

BrandonV
09-24-2011, 03:17 PM
real awesome

LLC RI
09-29-2011, 10:39 AM
pretty innovative.. like a third world solar tube... but Im confused... if they have electricity, why not just put up a couple of CFL's in their houses?? The one guy was talking about how his electric bill went down and they showed cords running along the ceiling.

starry night
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM
pretty innovative.. like a third world solar tube... but Im confused... if they have electricity, why not just put up a couple of CFL's in their houses?? The one guy was talking about how his electric bill went down and they showed cords running along the ceiling.

I think that probably by using these bottles, they don't have to run electrical lights during daytime.

My question is why the bleach in the water.......to keep it clear?

LLC RI
09-29-2011, 11:12 AM
my guess is that water helps to transmit the water. It's a medium through which the light is diffused and transmitted.... like a solid spread lens of sorts .. I'd say.

If the bottle was empty, the amount of light would only be that which is carried along the surface of the plastic bottle. With the addition of clear water, the light has something to 'stick' to and distribute.

In this vein, I think it would be cool for them to put red and green water in for Christmas ;-)

Dano50
09-29-2011, 11:30 AM
I loved that. Very creative and inspiring.

Tomwilllight
10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
This should remind us all what a gift light is when we are in the dark.

Tom