PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting....Is it right for me?

mainec
09-24-2011, 03:57 PM
I know everyone's story is a little different, so here is mine. I am getting ready to get out of the military and head back to my home area of Colorado. I really want to go back and start a landscape business. I have been doing lots of reading and have some basic knowledge.

I really feel this is the perfect time to try this even with the current economy. My wife has an excellent job that will easily transfer and thank God she is able to totally support out family. With that being said I am not in the position where I have to make $$$ to feed the family. Of course I want to make money but I want to do it right.

I had a little part time highschool job mowing lawns when I was 16. I had about 6-7 accounts. The only equipment that I have is my personal stuff that I use at my own house. Craftsman Self-Propelled mower and trimmer and then an electric edge trimmer and electric blower. I of course have more than enough truck with my '11 Chevy 2500HD Diesel.

Of course I think I can read most of the forums to find out how to start. But how do I know if it is right for me? Mostly am in the right area? I have read somewhere that I should consult an accountant and attorney prior to starting. Has anyone done this?

mainec :usflag:

joshman108
09-24-2011, 10:06 PM
The lawn/land business in CO always struck me as strange. It's so short isnt it?
Isn't it mostly snow there?
How long is the growing season anyway?

mainec
09-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Well in the more mountainous areas probably only a couple of months. But in the areas like Colorado Springs and such it will proabably be more like 6-7 months. I know my parents are there and they are still watering and mowing their yard.

ed2hess
09-24-2011, 10:52 PM
You need to build on your service skills......lawn mowing isn't going to last forever.

mainec
09-24-2011, 10:53 PM
You need to build on your service skills......lawn mowing isn't going to last forever.

Are you talking about adding additional services beyond just mowing?

C & T Landscaping
09-25-2011, 04:02 AM

Yea I believe he is, like landscaping, hardscaping, irrigation, installs etc. Makes more money too...Good luck :drinkup:

mainec
09-25-2011, 01:16 PM
I think that I am going to start with that and slowly learn new trades. I am looking to go to my home town of about 18-20k people. That I am aware of there is no serious landscape companies in down. Not to mention this town is made up largely of retirement age people and which I see as a opportunity. As I mentioned I did this in highschool with no advertisement other than word of mouth. With everything I know now and more resourses I have now, I think this will be good.

ed2hess
09-25-2011, 08:03 PM

No I am talking about doing something else like plumber or bug guy or something with a skill that you can build on. Going into a little city of old people is a dead end in my mind. Old people pinch their money and 20K size of a town is pretty small.

GMLC
09-25-2011, 08:50 PM
If you like the outdoors, working hard, being your own boss/running a business this may be for you. My suggestion would be to take some business classes and start networking. Surround yourself with successful people and don't be affraid to get out and be active in your community. Most fail due to poor business decisions and not being able to network.
Posted via Mobile Device