PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Ring of Mushrooms

vencops
09-24-2011, 04:41 PM
I made my first app. @ a new customer's home, today. I have 3 other customers in the small gated community, and the only time I've been on his lawn is the one time he asked me to mow for him, around May (his rider blew up and he was waiting for his new ZTR).

Anyways.....in the rear of the property (today), I noticed about a 6-8' dia. ring of purple-ish mushrooms....not growing very tall. I'm doing some research (since I've been home). These things are nasty pests, huh?

I'm all ears on your experiences with them.

Thanks.

RigglePLC
09-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Mushrooms (toadstools) are not really so bad. Mow them down and forget about it. The difficult thing is that fairy ring is difficult to control. Green rings are not so bad. They can be hidden with extra nitrogen. Mushrooms tend to come up when there is a hot dry spell followed by a warm heavy rain. They are the fruiting bodies of fungi deeper in the soil. Sometimes a good soaking with a fungicide will block further mushrooms. I cannot recall the name of the most recommended fungicide at the moment.

agrostis
09-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Trying to control fairy ring is a waste of time and money. Pick the mushrooms and mask the other symptoms. I have seen FR 50 yards wide. I think there is a 86 yard long ring somewhere. The dead grass you see is caused by tiny amounts of cyanide gas. It seems like the damage is worse in soils that get dry.

vencops
09-24-2011, 09:51 PM
The lawn looks great, actually. It's just "noticable". The mushrooms are the kind that aren't growing vertically, really. And, they're about the size of tennis balls (dia.) and purple-ish.

I made the homeowner aware, just for future reference. He knows it was "existing", before I took over.

Exact Rototilling
09-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Trying to control fairy ring is a waste of time and money. Pick the mushrooms and mask the other symptoms. I have seen FR 50 yards wide. I think there is a 86 yard long ring somewhere. The dead grass you see is caused by tiny amounts of cyanide gas. It seems like the damage is worse in soils that get dry.

Okay…what does it mean when the fairly ring circles are actually a darker green in lawn that has not been fertilized since last spring….such as mine. Breakdown of organic matter that is being tuned into nitrogen?

I can post pics of my lawn tomorrow for further analysis.

Smallaxe
09-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Okay…what does it mean when the fairly ring circles are actually a darker green in lawn that has not been fertilized since last spring….such as mine. Breakdown of organic matter that is being tuned into nitrogen?

I can post pics of my lawn tomorrow for further analysis.

That's a good question and a likely answer... one thing about internet searches, most discussion about lawn disease is superficial and geared towards fungicide, the 9 lbs. of cure rather than the pound of prevention...

Corn meal is supposed to produce a competetive fungi as it decays and turn into N, that eliminates many pathogens, because thethe competition... I always wanted to try that, but never have fungal diseases up here in te North... lots of mushrooms, but not from FR...

RigglePLC
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Right, exactly, breakdown of organic matter that contained nitrogen. Common symptom of Fairy Ring.