PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Pump Motor has bad bearings

tonyvol
09-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Hey everyone, My neighbor was throwing away this Berkeley Pump and asked if I wanted it. They said the motor has a bad bearing. Is it worth repairing it? If so, can I just replace the bearing in the motor or would I be better off buying a new motor?

http://www.berkeleypumps.com/ResidentialProduct_Item_SSHM_2.aspx

Thanks,
Tony

Wet_Boots
09-24-2011, 09:25 PM
look to buy a new motor - you must match the existing motor's service factor

tonyvol
09-24-2011, 09:30 PM
look to buy a new motor - you must match the existing motor's service factor

Thanks Wet Boots!!! I look for a new motor. Hopefully they won't be hard to find.

Tony

Wet_Boots
09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
it looks like at least a $300 motor - maybe a bearing replacement might be done - videos can be found

tonyvol
09-24-2011, 10:45 PM
it looks like at least a $300 motor - maybe a bearing replacement might be done - videos can be found

Thanks Wet Boots. I try and see if I can find replacement bearings first.

Thanks,
Tony

Wet_Boots
09-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Find yourself some tools, too. Check out some of the videos and websites.

regularguy
09-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Most motor shops won't touch a small motor because a replacement motor is so cheap and they can't charge enough to make the repair worth their time. That said in the winter when I don't have anything else to do I will replace the bearings on an electric pump motor if it needs it, really it is a simple job and usually the hardest part is getting the old bearing off. I have had them freeze up and the bearing will spin in the bearing housing for a while and with those I simply make a tin can bushing and then press the new bearing in. A hint for getting the new bearings on, put the bearings in the oven at 225 f and the shaft in the freezer overnight, they slide right on. A bearing shop will probably have those bearings for < $10