PDA

View Full Version : 30 footer

TimNNJ
09-25-2011, 04:48 PM
How would you guys handle this..I can get a 40' boom back there...on the other side the hill starts to go down...he wants a star on top.with clear c9s..there is a big bridge to the left and this thing would stick out big..over looks the town below...but pricing right is the tricky part for me...we would have to wire it down too..gets pretty windy..

turf hokie
09-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Does he want the star with c-9's? or a star and the tree wrapped with c-9's?

The stars I have all came with c-7.

Price the star accordingly (cost+markup+bucket truck) and if you are decorating the tree base x height x your rate for c-9.

The star, your going to want to get a long piece of rebar or similar and secure it to the main leader in order to get the star to stay in place and not break the leader out of the tree. I am sure next to the water you will get some pretty good gusts...

A tree that size you should go with 24 spacing on the c-9 wrap

TimNNJ
09-25-2011, 06:30 PM
2' spacing up the tree...or 2' between bulbs...where we would start wrapping it up is 66' around on the bottom and about 25' high.....not sure where I would get the star...but I want to get this guy an estimate...

KrayzKajun
09-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Thts gunna look awesome. I wish people down here cared tht much about holiday lighting
Posted via Mobile Device

turf hokie
09-25-2011, 07:00 PM
2ft between light, that way you can move the lights around to where you want them easier. Any less on a tree that size and you will burn thru lights fast

I'm guessing he wants a 3d star of Bethlehem on top, pm me I might be able to help you out.

This guy may end up with sticker shock

I would be around 3000 easily and that is for a rental not selling the lights
Posted via Mobile Device

turf hokie
09-25-2011, 07:05 PM
This is a 30' spruce with 600 warm white led's on 2 foot spacing.

greenbaylawns
09-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Nice Tree Bryan..Scott from Nebrasaka..Good luck this season on the lights!

David Gretzmier
09-27-2011, 07:47 AM
looking at cost, I think 5k plus or more is a good ballpark. You will probably need a couple of spools of bulk cord at 24" spacing, around 500-1000 LED c9's, depending on how lit you want it. we would do as much as we could with maxed out 6 foot little giants and then use a lift for the top to save rental time, and try to schedule 2 jobs for the rental on a wekend or something to split the cost. rental for a weekend can be around 600-900 bucks for a 30-40 foot 4wd boom. the rental company here will move it for another $125 during rental. And remember you gotta rent it to put it up and down. I do zip ties here and there loosly so you can cut them in January but they still will hold lights up there. Just adding numbers in my head, I would be closer to 5k year one and 2.5 k year to year. The rental alone can be half that in cost.

TimNNJ
09-28-2011, 10:16 PM
I found a 30 towable boom...for 250 a day...plus everything else..we shall see..

turf hokie
09-29-2011, 07:07 AM
I found a 30 towable boom...for 250 a day...plus everything else..we shall see..

Good luck, I tried a towable boom my first year and found they were absolutely to finicky with needing to be perfectly level, could be the one I had, but I returned it for a refund after fighting with it for 3 hours and called in a 60' bucket truck.

David Gretzmier
10-02-2011, 05:54 PM
I did a towable boom once. kinda shaky. the photo shows a tree near a drive way, so maybe... but I like the 4wd booms.

good luck.

TimNNJ
10-06-2011, 09:15 AM
he was in shock..lol..may just do the front of the tree..or something..oh well..

David Gretzmier
10-07-2011, 05:10 AM
I have seen that shocked look many times. But I encourage many folks to do a decent big tree once and add up all the numbers. most who have done it would never do it for less than double what they paid out of pocket. it is expensive.

we did a 40 footer or so one last year that was a permanant install with about a 1000 18" space LED's, boom, everything. zip tied lights to branches, Did it over a weekend, plus a day, used the boom on another job, etc. I would never consider doing it again for less than 5k. If it was a rehang I am not sure I would rehang it for less than 2.5 k.

It just really gets your attention when you think about how many dollars you could have made doing a home or 3 in the same amount of man hours.

But man, when you look at a big tree you have done, it does feel really good. nothing quite says Christmas to the heart like a huge lit tree.

If I get the chance, I hope to do a 50-80 footer with a 85 foot boom someday.