PDA

View Full Version : Questions about wiring new home

starry night
09-25-2011, 08:11 PM
As some of you may know, Mrs. Starry Night and I are building a new home.
The general contractor is ready to do electrical work this week.
Is there anything we should be doing now to make later outside lighting easier?
For instance, is there any reason why we should put the transformer in the garage as opposed to outside? Are transformers from most of the major manufacturers rated for indoors and out? Thanks.

Richie@
09-25-2011, 08:25 PM
I would have additional GFCI protected outlets one at each corner of the home , and maybe have them switched from inside locations for transformers - Holiday lighting etc.

starry night
09-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks Richie. I figured on the GFCI outlets and plan to ask that they be on dedicated breakers. Or are dedicated lines / breakers an unnecessary expense?

Richie@
09-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks Richie. I figured on the GFCI outlets and plan to ask that they be on dedicated breakers. Or are dedicated lines / breakers an unnecessary expense?

I think it's well worth having them Installed and from switched locations within the home.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-26-2011, 12:43 AM
With UPB controls there is no need to have the outlets switched from interior locations. I was of the opinion that 'switched outlets' do not meet code requirements, even though I have seen these installed in the past.

Many landscape lighting transformers are not rated of use indoors. It all depends on what listings they carry. You want to be careful about this. Best idea is to speak to your local electrical inspectors and see what they will and will not allow. There are transformers that state they are approved for use indoors or outside, but still do not conform to local interpretations and standards.

Richie@
09-26-2011, 06:58 AM
With UPB controls there is no need to have the outlets switched from interior locations. I was of the opinion that 'switched outlets' do not meet code requirements, even though I have seen these installed in the past.

Many landscape lighting transformers are not rated of use indoors. It all depends on what listings they carry. You want to be careful about this. Best idea is to speak to your local electrical inspectors and see what they will and will not allow. There are transformers that state they are approved for use indoors or outside, but still do not conform to local interpretations and standards.

There is no code that I know of that does not allow an outdoor GFCI receptacle to be switched , but the UPB control would be a better option.

drewguy
10-21-2011, 01:04 PM
I would have additional GFCI protected outlets one at each corner of the home , and maybe have them switched from inside locations for transformers - Holiday lighting etc.

I wouldn't necessarily do them at corners, but rather in locations where it would be sensible to locate a transformer, both for running wires to certain locations and where the transformers can be hidden.

I personally would explore the possibility of locating the transformers indoors for appearance purposes, recognizing the code issues that may arise.

RLI Electric
10-21-2011, 09:36 PM
However, I would recommend the transformers on the outside if you are not going to service the equipment yourself. This way your service guy can take care of issues and you don't have to be home. If you are considering every aspect of a new house wiring, consider audio. I know it is not related to this forum but once the sheetrock goes up, you are in a world of difficulty. Sonos is a good system to work with. You can control audio zones from your smartphone as well as iPad. Additionally, if your electrician can install a Lutron lighting control system you can do lighting, shades and thermostats from your phone or remote locations.
Select a scene button such as "Patio", your shades open up, the landscape lights go on and you just increased your living space.

David Gretzmier
10-22-2011, 03:05 AM
for holiday lighting, I would install the outlets as descibed up high, multiple breakers, with an additional one near the front door, but I would run all of these not going through switches, but a tork or intermatic multi-pole digital timer in the garage. It allows all of your holiday lighting to come on and go off at once. have a hot outlet by your front door as well for tools, vacuuming car, etc, but the timed one can be used for door wreath, front porch lit trees or halloween items, holiday yard art or inflatables, etc. a indoor digital multi pole timer can be bought for 50-60 bucks from Home Depot and can usually handle 40-60 amps at 240 volts, thus it should handle several breakers. putting one beside your breaker panel in the garage is pretty easy and should be relatively inexpensive.

I would not do the same for your landscape lighting outlet. many folks turn off landscape lights when doing Christmas lights. allow the timer inside the trans to do its job.

starry night
10-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks everybody for all the good input.

Phil

shovelracer
10-24-2011, 08:26 PM
having redone my entire home in the last few years, my suggestion is wire it all. Cat 6 to every room for networking, a media closet, prewire for home theater and outdoor audio, and at least 2 dedicated circuits on the front of the house. I personally would do 3, 2 switched. Most important run conduit pass throughs all over. Whatever media cables you install now will be obsolete in a few years, and these will make it nice and easy to update them.

starry night
10-24-2011, 08:44 PM
having redone my entire home in the last few years, my suggestion is wire it all. Cat 6 to every room for networking, a media closet, prewire for home theater and outdoor audio, and at least 2 dedicated circuits on the front of the house. I personally would do 3, 2 switched. Most important run conduit pass throughs all over. Whatever media cables you install now will be obsolete in a few years, and these will make it nice and easy to update them.

:laugh: Thanks shovelracer but I don't know how to operate most of which you suggested wiring for. :laugh:

My cellphone makes calls only. Heck, I don't even know how to operate an ATM. Cables obsolete? I'll be obsolete in a few years.