PDA

View Full Version : 31 vanguard

odin
11-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Got a flyer in the mail and briggs is gonna be showing off a new air cooled 31 horse motor at the gie in nashville.

I assume it must be a dihatsu.

Farmboy
11-06-2002, 05:51 PM
Does the flyer give you what cc the engine is? And I quess it is a v-twin engine?

odin
11-06-2002, 05:58 PM
farmboy

It is a vtwin but they didnt say how many CC's it was

Richard Martin
11-06-2002, 06:06 PM
This is pure speculation but it may be a Generac engine. Briggs may have made a deal with Generac Power Products when Briggs bought the home generator division from Generac.

John DiMartino
11-06-2002, 08:09 PM
Smaller Briggs Vanguards are Mitsubishi engines,so thats also a possiblity.

GRASS PRO
11-09-2002, 07:10 PM
The engine sounds interesting! Although I have heard that generac has been having problems.

Farmboy
11-22-2002, 06:40 PM
Did anyone get any info on this engine from the GIE show?

Envy Lawn Service
11-22-2002, 07:08 PM
The 31 HP Briggs Vanguard is already out and on 2002 equipment. Scag uses them on the Sabre Tooth Tiger. There are both gas and diesel forms. These are LIQUID COOLED though. Three cylinders too, not V-twins. As far as my limited knowledge goes these are the same thing as Daihatsu engines.

odin
11-22-2002, 07:11 PM
envy

The 31 at the show is a new air cooled 31

captdevo
11-22-2002, 07:27 PM
generac...or vicesa versa.....the generacs look ike briggs vanguards!!

i'm anxious to see!!!

Envy Lawn Service
11-22-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by odin00
envy

The 31 at the show is a new air cooled 31

A V-twin or what then?

odin
11-22-2002, 07:34 PM
V-twin

Jerry L
12-30-2002, 11:24 AM
Generac Power Systems, Inc. manufactures air-cooled engines from 6 to 30HP, and does not have any "deals" with Briggs with one exception. Briggs buys Generac's single cylinder engines for generators sold through Home Depot. The Generac 30HP engine is not related in any way to Briggs, Diahatsu, or Mitsubishi. As for service and parts. Magic Circle is a parts Distributor and all of their dealers are Generac Service Dealers, so if you get your Dixie Chopper serviced where you purchased it you should have no problems.

rodfather
12-30-2002, 03:25 PM
I'd like to see this one...surprised they are coming out with a air-cooled type at that hp. Wonder how many hours they expect to get on it before a rebuild?

Jerry L
12-30-2002, 04:10 PM
An educated guess is that B&S sees their best opportunity for incremental growth is sales into the commercial mowing and construction/rental markets, because they have virtually no exposure in those markets now (as compared to consumer power equipment). Another educated guess is that the engine is again a joint venture product from the far east Mitsubishi or Diahatsu. Hopefully they aren't just doing a bore and stroke job on an Intek V-twin.

P.S. I noticed in another thread where there was commentary on engine torque ratings. The Generac "Guardian" GT990 30HP engine has 55.7ft.-lbs. @ 2200RPM. It is the top banana in air-cooled

BladeRunner Rep
12-30-2002, 05:32 PM
Briggs has contacted us and is sending us one of these engines the first part of february. I do not have any info on who is making the engine or cc's of the engine or torque curve. They have been very secretive about it! I will keep you posted when we receive it and put it on the dyno! Briggs is also sending us one of there new 27hp v-twin l/q engines It is a daihatsu engine! It is also a good looking engine with a good torque curb rating!

BladeRunner Rep
01-10-2003, 09:24 PM
just received the specs on this engine! Engine is 900cc and is a daihatsu engine with a generac design.

Jerry L
01-13-2003, 09:17 AM
The "New" Briggs & Stratton Air-Cooled V-twin is NOT a Generac design.

Farmboy
01-13-2003, 11:01 AM
They sure look very similar.

Jerry L
01-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Farmboy and all other concerned parties,

I've seen the new B&S 31 HP air-cooled v-twin, beyond it being a v-twin it looks nothing like the Generac, its also a smaller engine
895cc vs. 992cc. The Generac Guardian is available as a vertical and a horizontal, is the B&S?

Farmboy
01-13-2003, 12:01 PM
Ok so it is not the same engine. I beleve that the bladerunner rep said it was a daihatsue engine! So I have a question is generac going to be on any other mower than dixie chopper? Most of the dealers and sales rep's that I have talked to have said that there are reliabilty issues with the engine. Also I read on here and have talked to cutters and dealers about the dixie xt3000 mowers having problems.

Jerry L
01-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Farmboy,

Answers to your questions and comments.
1. Yes, there will be other OEM's who use the Guardian engines. Due to non-disclosure agreements I cannot say who at this time.
2. We have had an issue with weak starters and smoking on hills. We are introducing new starters at this time (much more powerful and durable). We have also redesigned the breather to eliminate the smoking. I cannot address any issues Dixie has comes across. I do know the new extreme mowers are extraordinary performers that have had a couple of out of the gate hiccups. Mr. Art Evans is committed to dialing-in these powerful mowers for the upcoming season.

WREBELMACHINE
01-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Not that this means anything to me because I am using diesel powerd machines, but I do think that other companies could help in your curring the problems with the generac engine.

GRASS PRO
01-15-2003, 08:53 PM
I have always heard that the briggs vanguard engines were good. The generac engines I have heard both ways on it. Most of what I here is the lack of parts availabilty and service with the engine.

BladeRunner Rep
01-15-2003, 09:10 PM
Go to vanguardengines.com for the specs on the standard version of this new engine!

Richard Martin
01-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Jerry L

Would you care to identify who you work for? It may give your statements more weight.

Jerry L
01-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Richard,

I am the Product Manager for Generac Guardian Air-Cooled Engines. I think this info is listed in my profile. I am involved in not only engine sales, but I am also the Field Applications Manager.

Richard Martin
01-16-2003, 12:30 PM
Jerry L,
Thank You from those of who sometimes forget the profile is there.

Jerry L
01-16-2003, 12:55 PM
GrassPro,

I would have to agree that at one time parts were at times difficult to get for Generac engines. We had tried to elimenate parts problems by signing every Dixie Chopper Dealer who sells the Guardian powered mowers. All of these dealers see the need to service what they sell. My parts distribution is handled to the dealers 3 ways. 1. Regional distributors, 2. Through Magic Circle, 3. Factory Direct. Hopefully that will make it easy for the service dealers to get parts.

David Gretzmier
01-16-2003, 01:06 PM
My brother was one of those that had multiple problems w/ his generac dixie out of the box. 6 shop trips the first month, 3 starters and some electrical/switch issues. you ever get the feeling manufacturers uses us to test thier equipment and fix it accordingly? didn't generac know people would be starting thier engine 6-10 times a day? Dave g

Farmboy
01-16-2003, 01:53 PM
I have heard of countless problems with the generac engine not only here but among cutters and dealers. Hopefully the new vanguard engine will not have these issues! Generac is apparently fixing the problems from what I am reading. But I think this is why the other manufactures are not currently using this engine.

Jerry L
01-16-2003, 02:49 PM
David & Farmboy,

The vast majority of failures have been starters. We are addressing this problem. Certainly we had hoped for a trouble free product launch, and I'm sure nobdy at Dixie wanted to have out of the box problems on a new engine. We plan to have a fantastic 2003 selling the most powerful air-cooled v-twin available.

P.S. It takes time to sell "new" products, Mr. Evans was first to realize the benefits of more HP. Others WILL FOLLOW!

captdevo
01-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Jerry L

i'm a Chopper dealer. my rep said new starters are coming.

when are the new starters for the generac due out.

i have an xt3000, the starter is bad, chopper sent me another overnight, but it's the same starter.

thanks,
Dave

Jerry L
01-17-2003, 09:25 AM
This may not be the answer you are hoping for , but its honest. The new Starters will become available sometime in mid February. We will serve units in the field first. At this time any starters that demonstrate performance problems will be replaced with the orginal style starter. The orignal style starter is readily available.

David Gretzmier
01-17-2003, 09:40 AM
true- my brother is on his 4th, but aparently some are better than others. this one has lasted 40 hours or so.