PDA

View Full Version : I hate the wind!

lawnkid
11-06-2002, 05:12 PM
Man, I really hate the wind, Why can't the wind just stop blowing while we're doing cleanups. I did a cleanup today and the wind really didn't like me today and casue me lots of frustration:(. Is there any tips on hhow to make a cleanuup more effective using a 52" Scag hydro walk behind, Homelite ST-275 trimmer, Echo PB-603 bp blower, Giant Vac 8hp Push blower, rakes and tarps. First I blow all the leaves out of the beds with the bp. Then with the push blower I make a pile, then I put them on the tarp, then I mow, trim, and finish blowing. Any suggestiona would help.

CMerLand
11-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Yea go home on windy days or handle other tasks. When fighting a losing battle against a superior force (mother nature) it is better to withdrawal your forces to fight another day. There is no good that can come out of doing a leaf cleanup on a very windy day.

If they pay per hour you have to spend a whole lot more time getting the job done. In addition chances are that a whole lot more leaves will fall after your done leaving the property cover and the client will question why their paying money and it doesnt look like anything was done.

If its a contract job, you'll take a bigger bet out of your budgeted hours chasing leaves when more are sure to fall. Then you have less time then planned to finish up the leaves for the year.

Only other suggestion would be to not clean the beds till the final cleanup of the season. You spend alot of your time cleaning out around and under the bushes, which will only fill up again as the leaves continue to fall. We hold off on the beds till the final cleanup of the season.

Good luck

CMerrick

LB Landscaping
11-07-2002, 11:36 AM
After it poured all day yesterday it is windy as hell outside. Put's me 2 days behind. At least the wind will dry things out and the rest of the leaves will fall.

Lawn Specialties
11-07-2002, 04:48 PM
Aint it funny how the wind never blows towards the truck

mdb landscaping
11-07-2002, 07:03 PM
i know the feeling. every now and then ill be working on a windy day, and i will get so frustrated. The wind will calm down, and i fire the little wonder up, but once i start making some progress the wind blows all over the place. I must look pretty funny swearing to myself. usually on windy days over 20 mph, ill do a different job if i can. Its just not worth all the hassle.

MOW ED
11-08-2002, 08:15 AM
Chased them yesterday in 15 to 20mph gusts. It sucks but the upside is that it is drying them out so they turn to dust when the wind finally stops.
After a while I gave up on the cleans and went for the final mows where it didn't matter if I am picking leaves or not. But I am running out of final cuts too.

ksland
11-08-2002, 08:20 AM
A suggestion for you.....Move the truck! LOL :p

No seriously, it sure does seem that way.

Gravely_Man
11-08-2002, 02:35 PM
Working in the wind doing clean up will really make you question yourself and what you are doing. Sure the wind makes it nasty being outside but hopefully it is blowing all of the leaves down and getting them together for you. I am sure this is not the case but it would be nice if it were.

Gravely_Man

mdb landscaping
11-08-2002, 06:57 PM
well, the wind plagued me today. its sucks doing cleanups on a windy day solo. luckily this year i have a vac setup so i can basically put the pile wherever i want as long as i can get up to it with the trailer and billygoat truckloader. the worst is when the wind constantly switches directions like today. you finally get the pile moving in one direction, and then the wind decides to blow a different way:blob2: :blob2:

LAWNGODFATHER
11-08-2002, 10:59 PM
We had no problems working in the wind with my vacs today.

Phishook
11-09-2002, 01:33 AM
The 15-20mph wind saved me about 2hrs. today.
Double cut/Wind rowed/and a little baggting.

dr grass
11-09-2002, 01:55 AM
cmer couldnt of said it any better. if you getting pizzed, pack your sh*t and go home. it taint worth it bro!!!

shep :angry: