PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Ultra-Vac

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
11-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Just wanted to ask if any one owns or has used an Exmark Ultra-Vac. Does it really create a vacum force that acually pulls the leaves out of the deck and into the bags.
Iwas mulching last week with my 48" ZTR and noticed that when I came to the end of a row and turned it left a small pile of leaves ,maybe ten or so,Does the vac help suck up those few leaves at end of the row.
I am really thinking about purchasing a vac but I don't want to waste my $$$$.
Can you guys give me some input on this. THANX

TLS
11-06-2002, 09:15 PM
I have the UV for my 60" Lazer. It sucks.

But in a good way! It does however draw some power! What hp engine do you have on the 48"....21hp ? You should be OK.

My biggest complaint would not be an issue with you. Its the overall WEIGHT of the hopper! The 3 bagger unit is heavy as heck!

Other thing I don't like is that I have to take my "Director" OCDC off to use the bagger.

Plus the bags fill up in NO time flat. But all baggers do, so thats not meant to be against Exmark. They have a real nice well built unit.

Just where are these 10 leaves coming from? The front? Blowout? I wouldn't say the UV CREATES any more suction, just that it swallows whatever the deck puts out.

OK, enough of this suck and swallow thing....see what the internet does to us!?!?! :eek:

65hoss
11-06-2002, 10:01 PM
Those leaves in front are due to being pushed. Thats normal. You have to get experience with it to know how to handle it. Every mower I've had or used with a comm'l deck on it has done the same thing. Side discharging, mulching, ultravacing all does the same. Its irrelavant. Leaves haven't got under the machine yet by the time you get to the end of a run.

EJK2352
11-06-2002, 10:19 PM
I used to hate fall clean up's, till I got the Ultra Vac. I have used Peco vac's in the past and they did an ok job. The Peco's didn't bag grass very well. The Ultra Vac does an excellent job bagging grass as well as leaves. The only drawback is the frequent bag emptying, but like TLS said it's true with all baggers. :) ;) :) ED

Cutter1
11-07-2002, 12:30 AM
I have 1500 hours on my one Laser with the bagger. I have beat the @$%# out if it. The only thing I had to do is replace the vac belt and I wore the bags out. It bags great, try it with gator blades in the fall, helps to get a bit more leaves in the bags!!

gogetter
11-07-2002, 01:41 AM
I thought I had read something here about a new design that dumps from the seat. I e-mailed Exmark and they said they will tell me more after the 14th because they are debuting some new stuff at a show and I guess they don't want to talk about it until after the debut.

But I sure hope it's correct. I just can't see manually emptying 2 or 3 bags (depending on model) all day long. But backing up to a pile, pulling a lever and then going on your way sure sounds sweet!
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Lazer next year and a Dump From Seat collector may seal the deal.

Anyone heard anything more concrete about this yet?

TLS
11-07-2002, 09:00 AM
Only problem I have with the new UV bagger is that you'll never be able to just grab one full bag and dump it in your pickup! Sure if your a homeowner, or have a wooded area to dump in, it would be fine, but for getting the bagged contents where you want them, the ORIGINAL is still a better idea.

Looks like its the same basic design, just remove the 3 bags and replace with the new hopper :confused:

Who knows.

Exmarks' being WAY too secretive this year :rolleyes:

Esby
11-07-2002, 10:21 AM
The new dump from the seat bagger for Exmark is also going to cost alot more....about a grand more. My dealer quoted me list price at $2,000-$2,100...he said he might be able to work from there.

TLS
11-07-2002, 10:49 AM
My Ultra-Vac Bagging system cost me $1800 installed plus tax. This was on 9-21-01 and was on a LC mower.

This is for the Full Size Lazer (3 bagger unit) The 2 bagger unit (Lazer HP's) may be cheaper.

I really don't think it'll be $1K more for the new dump sytle. Everything is the same except they replace the removable bags with the dumping hopper. The hopper cover looks similar, and the impeller and tube are definately the same.

MacLawnCo
11-07-2002, 11:57 AM
Here is a link to the thread with a pic of the new bagging system.

http://207.44.158.62/~admin2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35746&highlight=QDS

Runner
11-07-2002, 12:49 PM
Another thing I wondered about the new unit was how you tell when it is full, as opposed to just having the hose plug up. Is there a window to see the material level through? I would love to feel a tarp when it is full of all the bushels this thing will hold. I have to say, as I said a long time ago. I think I would stick to the older design of the individual, more handler friendly bags if I was going to buy one of these.

gogetter
11-07-2002, 07:50 PM
I myself wouldn't be using it for grass, just leaves in fall. And since I would be using it in conjunction with a leaf loader, the weight of the debris wouldn't be an issue. Just dump at curb and suck 'em up.
Only problem, it looks like it's just for the 60 and 72 inch Lazers. I was thinking of getting a 52" HP. Oh well, guess I'll have to look at other brands (Peco, etc.).
Thanks for the link to that thread MacLawn.

Tommy as far as you dumping into the back of your truck, how about one of those ramps that replace your tailgate? Then you'd just back up onto the trailer, and then up the ramp onto the truck and dump. (there's a photo in another thread of someone doing just this with a Walker). Just a thought.

TLS
11-07-2002, 10:40 PM
Gogetter,

The way you described with the gate ramp, and all would take significantly LONGER (time wise) then just dumping, by hand into the truck with the individual bags. You'd have to hop curb, back UP the trailer ramp, UP the truck ramp (all while your whole trailer must be totally EMPTY) and dump. A lot of extra maneuvering just to remain seated on our THRONES!!!

The 52" LAZER HP with the "regular" UV is a NICE combo. A lot of guys use it on here and a few I know personally use it as well. The slight advantages with the new UV are not all that good.

LeoS818
11-08-2002, 10:56 PM
We have a 72' lazer with the UV. Mid Oct we to an exmark show in town. There they had the new UV. Looks just like the old one, except there is a trap door where the bags were. The factory rep said the list price is $2002.

dr grass
11-09-2002, 09:23 AM
i have a 721d grasswrecker, and it is supposed to be the "fall cleanup king" but even this machine leaves a small pile of leaves at the end of a stripe. you must first go around the perimeter of the section you are cutting. than you can turn quicker, and sometimes back up to run the small pile over. i seen the ultra vac at the eXamrk dealer, and it looks like a pretty good setup. screw them bags though. i would opt for the dump from the seat modle.

shep :)

odin
11-09-2002, 10:18 AM
I dont like the dump from the seat we got on a toro.Its way to heavy the weight rake on the front weights a good 150lbs.

We have ultra vac's a on the lazer hp's and a scag three bagger on a tiger cub.
One exmark with ultra vac and the scag cleans a yard real quick.
Got a track vac setup for the dixie we use on the larger properties.