PDA

View Full Version : What's your diagnosis

Dirt Boy
09-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Many years old, not my problem, but I was doing some sprinkler repairs, and since I'm trying to learn the hardscaping, I was interested in this, and would like to here your opinions as to what went wrong with this install.

zak406
09-27-2011, 04:04 PM
This is my opinion it may be right or wrong so take it with a grain of salt but I want to take a stab at it.

A. it looks like over the years the freeze and thaw cycle has affected the patio
b. the wall looks like it could have been a bad mortar mixture maybe to wet?

d. it looks like a poor base construction/ bad compaction, if the base was extended farther out you wouldnt have the slant issue with the brick

zak406
09-27-2011, 05:44 PM
and not to mention no edge restraint!

DVS Hardscaper
09-27-2011, 07:56 PM
primarily settlement. end of story.

scagrider22
09-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Another good reason not to use clay bricks and mortar for retaining walls, they are designed to move with freeze and thaw.

jonesy5149
09-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Another good reason not to use clay bricks and mortar for retaining walls, they are designed to move with freeze and thaw.

:confused:
DVS hit it on the nose with a mallet...

AztlanLC
09-27-2011, 10:40 PM
the wall it could be that the footings are not below the frost line

Gilmore.Landscaping
09-27-2011, 11:07 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=230723&stc=1&d=1317147678

So its tough to tell but looks like there is a concrete base for the whole patio? Maybe wrong with that but either way looks like water got down through the joints in the patio and then trapped below pavers on the mortared banding/wall. Freeze thaw would just rip that apart.

Dirt Boy
09-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Not sure what, or how it was built, looked to me like they had an outer ring foundation of some sort, it looked to me as though it was tilted out, probably, as has been mentioned, by freeze/thaw/settlement. Apparently the center has bedding, you can't see them in the pic's, but there are drains every so often around the perimeter coming from the inside (assuming).

Thanks for the input!

DVS Hardscaper
09-28-2011, 02:41 PM
This reminds me of some pictures posted on this forum not too long ago where a mortared stone wall was built above frost line.

Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
09-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Anytime you mix combinations of cement and regular bedding, this is the result. We see the amateurs up here doing that all the time, I do get a good laugh though.

Cloud9Landscapes
10-01-2011, 03:54 AM
If they wanted brick they needed to put a footing a few inches below the frost line (which is probably DEEP in Nebraska) and then put concrete masonry units to adhere veneer brick units onto or use real brick with wall-ties. That is how it would be done around here, then again our frost line is 1" below the soil here in a warm southern climate.

I need to snap some photos of some of the brick retaining walls in my area that have fallen over due to hydrostatic pressure (lack of drain lines).

DVS Hardscaper
10-01-2011, 10:55 AM
here is a fact: brick or STONE mortared to a slab in regions that have ice and snow will FREEZE and pop.

NO, not the entire surface.

But small portions, somewhere, sooner or LATER will Freeze and pop loose or into pieces.

every single large expensive home I have ever been to where they have existing stone or brick mortared porches, walks, or patios have at least one or two loose bricks or stones. I see it more with porches, usually the corners. moisture somehow fiinds its way under or into the unit. it freezes, the water expands and its breaks.

We have a community with brick veneered fences, with brick arches over the gates. Nearly all the arches have loose bricks because of moisture finding it's way in during the winter.