PDA

View Full Version : Local Exmark dealer totally looney tunes

Mowin4cash
11-06-2002, 10:38 PM
Just had to share this. I visited my local Exmark dealer today because it was raining and I didn't have anything else better to do. So I thought I'd go in and see what this operation had as far as equipment. Of course the salesman didn't know that I cut for a living, so he really poured on the "facts" about Exmark. And to be fair, a couple of other brands also. He was telling me how they were superior to anything on the market. I then let it "slip" that I had looked at Dixie Choppers. Then he proceded to tell me that all the guys in my area were trading in their choppers on exmarks because 1) The spindles aren't holding up. 2) You can only get 2000 hours out of a chopper. 3) bla bla bla The best comment he made was that when they had accepted used choppers in trade, one had only 173 hrs on it, nobody would by it. I then proceeded to tell him how I was in the business and have logged thousands of hours in choppers with virtually no repairs. And how that just a year earlier, I demoed the 72" Exmark with the diesel from this same store and that the deck lift mechanism fell apart while mowing over rough ground. I just had to laugh all the way to the truck.

richard coffman
11-06-2002, 11:29 PM
:rolleyes:

Now that's something to laugh about. I've had a simular situation happen to me today. I went to the meyer distributor in my area to get some replacement parts for my snow plow. When i was up at the counter and the "big wig rep" happen to overhear what i was saying & wanted to look my plow over. We got outside & walked up to my truck and he did everything in his power to convince me to get a new plow instead of replacing parts o mine. Yea the plow in about 10 years old & looks to be desired, but hay, there meant to be used,not prettied up. When i dug my cowboy boots in the dirt like a was roppin a bronkin bull about keepin my plow & getting my parts i needed, he then tried to way over price what i wanted into getting me to change my mind. At this point, I'm totally turned off & wanted to tell the guy wear to stick it, but instead i told him i knew what the parts prices were and called earlier in the week, oh, he then told me he was only giving me a rough estimate (his rough estimate for example was a new motot for my power unit was $140.00, I called around & got it for $69.00. then the light kit was $200.00, but i checked around and got it for $89.00)
Man what some people will do to make a buck. I'f the guy would have been honest with me and didn't try to change my mind, I'm sure i would have baught a few things from them.
anyone else gone through this?:blob4:

Swampbeast
11-06-2002, 11:37 PM
I walked into a Toro dealer, and asked a rather innocent question, "Are these big 44 inch Toros any good?" Instantly the man behind the counter started lauding the Toros to the heavens, meanwhile making fun of SCAG and Exmark. Then he concluded his little sales pitch with this line, "but this doesnt matter to you, you would never need a mower this big and powerful! You would just hurt yourself." (bear in mind I am only 20, and dont look my age, I look about 16-17 people tell me) I then procedded to tell him about my lawn mowing company, how I was the manager of it, how I was making more money than he was, how I operated machines far bigger than 44 inches on a daily basis. His slack jawed amazement was very gratifying!

:cool:

65hoss
11-07-2002, 12:47 AM
:dizzy: :o :dizzy:

Envy Lawn Service
11-07-2002, 03:10 AM
I'll tell you what ticks me off since I've been actively shopping and checking out all the brands. I'm conserned about 3 key issues....

#1 - How well does it cut & stripe?
#2 - How well does it mulch?
#3 - How well does it handle slopes?

Of course everyone has the best cut, stripe and mulching ability. But what really gets me is how they go on about how there machine handles slopes better than other makes.

Ferris says our IS makes the machine handle hills better than anything out there. Gravely says our pivoting front axle makes our machine handle hills better than anything out there. Grasshopper says our low center of gravity, wide drive tires and under the seat gas tank makes us better. Great Dane says our wide stance, low seat height and under the seat gas tank makes ours better. And the list goes on.

Every machine can't be the best! It seems like some questions are just a waste of breath.

Tony Harrell
11-07-2002, 05:18 AM
Ever heard the word "salesman"?

awm
11-07-2002, 08:06 AM
ditto. these guys makin a livin just like we are. i will agree a good salesman has a good sense of timeing, as to what to say an when. kinda like a standup comic.
the rite one could have sold u :) .jmo

dr grass
11-07-2002, 08:56 AM
sounds to me like a WHOLEEEEEE bunch of BULLS*&T form a WHOLEEEEE bunch of different people. Listen to me people! If you want to do proper research on defferent brands of mowers follow the list im about to make up ... trust me it will be good...

1) Read REadREAD REaD!!! (books on mowers, pamphlets, internet, whatever...)
2) Talk TALk TAlK .... ( to other lco's, salesman (but dont take it more than lightly) previous owners of different brands, etc...)
3)Listen LIStEN LISTEN lisTEN !!! to all of this information, and make a decision based on your now-up-to-date knowlege.

Any inprovising will be welcomed!! hope this helps

shep :cool:

Green Pastures
11-07-2002, 11:40 AM
I'm wondering why you guy's are in dealerships where you have no intenton of buying a thing, asking a bunch of questions, where you KNOW you are going to get a biased opinion. WHAT, do you think the man making a living at a Toro dealership is going to pull you quietly aside and tell you......."Exmark is really the best mower, I suggest you go over there", HUH, would you tell a customer who calls you for work that Joe Blow's mower shop down the street does a better job than you???? Then you make a mockery of the guy's advice and opinion just because you had "nothing better to do".

How would you feel if your competing LCO called you out to his house for an estimate. Let you spend your precious time ($$$) walking the property, counting bushes, measuring off square footage of grass to be mowed, linear footage of edging to be done, figuring out a fert. program for the turf ect. THEN, when you handed him the proposal he started telling you how he could do it better with his own company. Laughing in your face. How would you feel?

It's the same thing.

I know some of you don't want to hear this but COME ON GUY'S what comes around goes around. Think about wasting other peoples time, it will come back to you.

Luke 6:31
"Do to others as you would have them do to you."
NIV

I'm ready go ahead and start bashing.

MacLawnCo
11-07-2002, 11:54 AM
Very well said Scott. I totally agree.

HarryD
11-07-2002, 12:07 PM
I agree with you some what Scott but these sales guys are also in the wrong for bashing other mowers saying theres are the best when all he probly has heard is here say and has never actually ran the other brands .
I read a post not that long ago not sure who made the comment that they had gone to the latest trade show in MO and was talking to the blade runner rep about there mower . he had nothing bad to say about anyone and pointed out all the good things there mower offered all the other reps were bashing blade runner telling him they were junk .
my wife works for a car dealership so I know all about the are cars are better then your cars :( same thing . so it really depends on the salesperson some are good some are really bad at there jobs . I prefer to deal with someone with a positive attitude . the other day me and the wfe bought a new TV and the saleman could have sold me swamp land :) he was a pleasure to deal with

Green Pastures
11-07-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by HarryD
I agree with you some what Scott but these sales guys are also in the wrong for bashing other mowers saying theres are the best when all he probly has heard is here say and has never actually ran the other brands .

Harry,

1. You are absolutely correct. However, if these guys were not in there, asking questions with no intention of buying, they would not have heard all this bashing.

2. Two wrongs do not make a right.

We should sell our products/services by truthfully telling how we think our product will work for you. Point out it's strong points without comparing to, or bashing another brand. Same with selling our services, we should explain that we are good at what we do and that we strive to be the best EVERY day EVERY job, not by saying So & So mowing sucks, I can do better.

Thanks Harry for setting me straight on that point.

HarryD
11-07-2002, 07:15 PM
that is true scott 2 wrongs dont make a right . but who's to say that these guys would not have bought anything . like I said the other day we just went to LOOK :) at DVD players and bought a TV and DVD player and one of the reasons we did was because of the salesman . if the salesman would have been like the toro salesman I dont think I would have bought anything

Green Pastures
11-07-2002, 07:30 PM
You're right again Harry, I stand corrected.

I went back and read the original post(s), and I did make an ASSUMPTION based on the APPARENT brand loyality that was INFERRED in the post(s). This however does not PROVE that they were not in there to actually make a purchase. Although I still do not believe they were doing anything other than "checking out the competition" and would not have bought so much as a blade, let alone a ZTR or W/B. :D

Thanks again for keeping me thinking.

Envy Lawn Service
11-07-2002, 09:17 PM
Well, I was forced to go to a dealer today to get a set of Gators that I couldn't get from anyone else. Even though I haven't liked this place for quite some time now, I still couldn't help browsing around a bit while I was there.

I got approached by a much better sales person than I ever expected out of this place. We talked and I checked out their stock. I asked the guy some questions and really kinda feel he was being honest with me with hi answers. What a shocker!

I'll spare all the yada yada details and leave it at that.

Greenpastures,

I could use your help sorting out a couple of things if you don't mind.

Swampbeast
11-07-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by HarryD
and the saleman could have sold me swamp land :)

You say swamp land like its a bad thing, I kinda like swamp land....:D

Well, to defend myself, I was actually shopping for some more weapons to add to my Grass arsenal, and just happened to ask about the Toros.
Speaking of Toros, Green Pastures, I know you have a couple of them, when I saw them, they looked awfully long, I mean, for a 44 inch deck this one had to be nearly 10 feet from castors to handlebars. Have you noticed this to be a problem? I know in my yards that would be a problem, seeing as I have some tight corners I have to make.

Green Pastures
11-07-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Swampbeast
Speaking of Toros, Green Pastures, I know you have a couple of them, when I saw them, they looked awfully long, I mean, for a 44 inch deck this one had to be nearly 10 feet from castors to handlebars. Have you noticed this to be a problem? I know in my yards that would be a problem, seeing as I have some tight corners I have to make.

Swampbeast,

The Toro 44" W/B is 80" or 6' 8" long from the front of the deck to the T-bar. It's only a problem if you try to fit 5 mowers in a 24' trailer. :D

LAWNGODFATHER
11-07-2002, 11:01 PM
I do have to say a few good things about some of the dealers around here, they don't give you the BS lines over the other mowers, they just say what the know their mowers will do.

I went to one that is no longer in biz with 3 brand new Exmark WB's on the trailer, one guy told me after them decks on those mowers are all bent up and when they break down, come talk to me and I will sell you some of these <not specified>.

Well he was a sales men there and now owns his own dealership and sells a different brand, and my mowers have never gotten a bent deck etc.....Like he tried to tell me, and when I did buy that brand they did exactly what he told me mine would. FUNNY huh? I still have never bought nothing from him, but I will sit and shoot the chit with him.

jsr2741
11-07-2002, 11:09 PM
Hey LGF, you ever delt with Outdoor in chesterfield. What did ya think.

They kinda turned a cold shoulder to me.

Steve

LAWNGODFATHER
11-07-2002, 11:56 PM
They are great "if you mower is not under warrenty"..

Naw really can't say that, but they have a line of equipment to get fixed, and there is no priority on the small guys.

For parts, NO ONE, I mean NO ONE can do better than their parts counter, They can always locate the parts, then it's on how long till the MFG of the part sends it.

I have to admit they have done good for me, but I get picky when you spend $$$ money for several mowers in one shot and they not work right, dealer can only do so much.

jsr2741
11-08-2002, 12:35 AM
Thanks LGF. Think I'll stay with Milbrandts. They've taken really good care of me the last 2 years. Although it would be nice not to have to drive so far when I need something.

We do 4 U
11-08-2002, 12:42 AM
When I was looking at buyimg my Z, I looked at Toro, Ex-mark, DC and Hustler. I went to a Toro dealer and the salesamn told all the "bad" points of all the other mowers instead of the good points of his mower. I told him thank you for your time and I will get back to you. I bought a hustler the next week from a guy that told me to try out all the others first and to then come back and talk to him. That is the kind of saleamans I like (I use the term "like" very losely), one that sells you his goods, not bad mouthing the compition.

Randy Scott
11-08-2002, 12:50 AM
You really wonder how some salesmen can make it more than a week with their approach to selling you something sometimes.
I had a CASE skidsteer salesman stand on a jobsite with me for 20 minutes bad mouthing all the other brands and really didn't say much about their own product. I tell you what, sometimes I don't say much, but when he called, about a week after I bought my John Deere, that was the best feeling in the world telling him I wouldn't buy a CASE if it was the best unit on the planet with his poor approach to sales. The guy was speechless, until he heard the click of the phone most likely. God, that felt good. Sometimes we get to say what we want when we want, not always, but sometimes. :p

LAWNGODFATHER
11-08-2002, 01:07 AM
I use Milbardt also.

MONTE
11-09-2002, 06:34 PM
Hey I know that bladerunner rep you are talking about, he is really nice and he does not bad mouth the other brands out there! I know because I was there at the MO. lawn and garden show! His only negative response to all the bashing of his product was this and I quote "If they are bashing my product then they must be afraid of my product which means we are doing something right" I thought that that was just pure professionalism! And I will have to agree with him I do think they are doing something right!

GRASS PRO
11-09-2002, 07:02 PM
I have observed this to with dealers as well as factory rep's. Once in awile you will get a suprise which I have had a couple of suprises one with a factory rep and then two competitive dealers that worked with me and each other to help me! very rare!

Green King
11-09-2002, 07:43 PM
HI I am new to this site it's great!

I have also been told some wild things at dealerships and shows some of it you know your being lied to and others you just wonder were there knowledge comes from. Oh well you just have to analize the info for yourself and use some common sense.

Mowin4cash
11-09-2002, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Green Pastures
[B]I'm wondering why you guy's are in dealerships where you have no intenton of buying a thing, asking a bunch of questions, where you KNOW you are going to get a biased opinion. WHAT, do you think the man making a living at a Toro dealership is going to pull you quietly aside and tell you......."Exmark is really the best mower, I suggest you go over there", HUH, would you tell a customer who calls you for work that Joe Blow's mower shop down the street does a better job than you???? Then you make a mockery of the guy's advice and opinion just because you had "nothing better to do".

Actually, when I bought my first ztr mower, I went into my local Toro/Dixie Chopper dealer with all intents and purpose of buyin the "big bad toro." But the dealer "quietly pulled me aside" and told me NOT TO BUY THAT CHAIN DRIVEN THING, and buy the chopper instead. And for once in my life, I listened to someone who seemed to know what they were talking about. And boy am I glad I did. Secondly, I wasn't making a mockery of the guy's advice and opinion because I had "nothing better to do." I was making a mockery of the guy's advice and opinion just because HE DID NOT KNOW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT!!!!! I can't stand it when someone feeds me lines of "stuff" for which they have no idea the facts.

Mike

BladeRunner Rep
11-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Hey guys I appreciate the complements about how we at bladerunner try to conduct and represent our product! I am sorry that I cannot place all of you and I know some of you I have not meet yet but Lord willing we will get to meet more of you face to face in the near future!

THANK YOU!
:D :D :D

lawnworker
11-10-2002, 03:59 PM
I can't stand it when a dealer's salesman knows so little about their equipment that it's embarrassing; this makes you feel like walking out and never coming back. To bash other's equipment as opposed to upselling their own is just stupid. What a waste of time.

Most all the top brands will do pretty good at mowing. Although, some are better then others. For instance, Exmarks and Dixie Choppers are both exellent machines. One can't go wrong with either model, as long as they matched the mower for the right jobs and the unit bought is not a lemon.

KLMlawn
11-10-2002, 04:24 PM
I guess you can say I am one of the ones who goes window shopping quite a bit just in general and especially before an expected major purchase. I like to get as much info about everything that is out there, the pro/cons, and like to hear each salesmans pitch about the equipment. Every so often you do run across an honest guy who is trying to win you as a customer, not just make the sale and never see you again after you decide you really didn't like the piece of equipment he sold you. I also will say I am not loyal to anyone if I can find the price cheaper somewhere else, seeing as I have a shop I deal with strictly for repairs and the odd small purchase. He holds nothing against me and as a matter of fact will usually drop what he is doing to take care of my problem as soon as I pull in and he is very reasonably priced. I have enough to back me up if a piece goes down on warantee and it will be in for a while for them to fix it.

MTS2357
11-10-2002, 10:45 PM
Mama taught me this:

Never trust a man who chops anothers head off to make themself look taller.

Works for me.

Swampbeast
11-10-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by MTS2357
Mama taught me this:

Never trust a man who chops anothers head off to make themself look taller.

Works for me.

Your Mamma is a wise woman!