PDA

View Full Version : mole control?

dylan
11-06-2002, 11:28 PM
Hi Everyone
I had a bit of a different question today from a customer and I was hoping someone out there had a answer.
He said that for the last 3 years a "lawn care company" was spraying his coniferous shrubs with something to prevent moles from eating the bark off them, under the cover of snow. Last year they did not spray and appearently moles girdled his shrubs. The company has since gone out of business and he is not sure what product they were using. Has anyone heard of such a product or know where I could look this up for interests sake? Thanks

EJK2352
11-07-2002, 09:11 AM
dylan,
The only sure fire way to get rid of moles is with a trap.

Green Pastures
11-07-2002, 11:25 AM
Dylan,

I have to agree 100% with EJK. I have a customer with a severe mole problem, AND on top of that they do not want to kill anything, like a cute furry little animal. I tried the castor oil spraying, killing the grubs, chewing gum in their holes, ground pounders worked pretty good. The only way to rid yourself of them completely is to invest in traps and set them every time you see an active run.

Runner
11-07-2002, 12:57 PM
In the first place, I believe that your customer was very badly misinformed. If he has something chewing the bark off of his shrubs, it's something other than moles. You have to be able to identify and know the pest before you can target it. A little research, and I am confident that YOU can come up with a remedy for this for your customer. It's in here!;)

f350
11-07-2002, 03:25 PM
broken glass in the tunnels. a mole is not able to clot there blood, thus bleeding to death

Willdro
11-07-2002, 09:36 PM
Jerry Baker said stick a rose bush stem in the tunnel, it would scratch the mole and bleed to death.

GroundKprs
11-07-2002, 10:41 PM
Moles are carnivores, they eat insects and worms living underground. The "lawn care company" was not treating moles eating bark. If they were, they had one heck of a gimmick going.

Most likely they were mice (mice stay on the ground, even under a snow cover) or rabbits (work just above the snow blanket). There are animal repellents to use, but I am not that well versed on them. I have always controlled mice by using D-Con in their runs. If out in the open or near pets, I stake a piece of window screen over the bait, using eavestrough spikes to hold the screen in place. This also keeps birds from eating the bait. Mice like to nest under evergreen shrubs. There they are hidden, and food is just a few inches away.

KLMlawn
11-08-2002, 10:05 AM
To effectively "deter" moles you can spray Castor oil ...20% oil to 80% water in a pump sprayer, then water it in for about 15-20 minutes. This will make them move on for about a month or so, then you have to retreat the prop ... good easy safe way to make extra money.

dylan
11-08-2002, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all the replys.
I've been looking at some university webpages and their information matches everyone elses. Moles only eat insects and worms. They can up to tunnel 15' per hour in search of food and the maze that they leave can become inhabited by mice who strip the bark from trees.

JasperStorm
11-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Victor "Out o' Sight" mole traps are the best. "Spear type" traps are no good.

The "Out o' Sight" traps pinch the little b@stards, breaking their spines. There is no gore involved. If, while removing the expired mole, you still find yourself wincing, you may want to prance over to a new line of work, such as flower arranging or interior design.

GroundKprs
11-09-2002, 07:48 AM
One problem with this board is pointed out in the previous post. You must be aware of the biology of everything in your area. In WA, where main mole problem is star-nosed mole, it is best to use the Out O Sight type trap, because the target tends to run deeper than the eastern mole, which is the main problem for those east of the Rockies. For mole control in the east, these underground traps are usually not necessary.

But I always dig up a tripped harpoon trap, instead of just pulling it out, because having a carcass means success. I have seen times when a really big mole will trip a harpoon trap before he gets under the spears. So, Jasper is correct for his region in using the underground traps; we just have it easier in the east. But I do have Out o Sights; sometimes need them in early summer when eastern moles are just a little deeper than normal.

bobbygedd
11-11-2002, 03:01 PM
hey, just do to the mole what tony did to ralphie in last nights episode of sappranos