PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot has it's uses

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
09-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Went to Hd to get some lubmer, and I always go to the mark down spot in the garden center. Usually nothing good but I always check anyway. So I find in the mix of junk a new srm 225. Said right on it nothing wrong, customer didn't like. It was brand new. Got it for 169.66 regular 219.99. Not saying that I'm getting all my stuff there but I got a brand new decent trimmer that I will keep as a backup. So with all the hd bashing I just wanted to say sometimes they are good for something.

GreenI.A.
09-28-2011, 01:57 PM
went into lowes right after the hurican/tropical storm, needed to pick up a couple replacemen handles for brooms. Saw that they were pretty cleaned out of all there chainsaws due to everyone cleaning up there yards. All they had left were saws that had been picked over for parts. I picked up a 455 husky that was missing the chain and the gas and oil caps, and a 460 husky missing the sparkplug, gas cap, bar and chain, each saw I talked then into selling for $99 each. I know these aren't as good quailty huskys as i would get from a dealer but for the money I was able to rebuild them with spare parts in the shop. I'll just keep them up on a shelf for when one of my saws are done and I need an extra. So can't complain about $850-$900 worth of saws for $200. The biggest thing I get cheap at homedepot are customers. I've been standing in the isles and herd people asking questions and have stepped up and offered answers when the employees had no clue. I have landed an irrigation install, repairs, lighting job, and fert from this

JimmyTheGlove
10-06-2011, 02:19 PM
So can't complain about $850-$900 worth of saws for $200. The biggest thing I get cheap at homedepot are customers.
What a steal on those saws. I've been thinking about how nice it would be to have a spare to use for parts.
As far as saws go, is Husky a pretty good name? I need to break free of my electric chain saw and get something I can take up into a tree.

Krakatau42
10-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Home Depot's clearance section is always worth checking out. They sell returned items at a huge discount, but the best part is they still honor the 90 day return policy and warranties. A lot easier to take a leap of faith on something when it comes with three months of test driving.

GreenI.A.
10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
What a steal on those saws. I've been thinking about how nice it would be to have a spare to use for parts.
As far as saws go, is Husky a pretty good name? I need to break free of my electric chain saw and get something I can take up into a tree.

I prefer Husky over Stihl, between the two of them its mostly a preference thing and people usually prefer one over the other, same as ford vs chevy. But the Huskys you buy at HD/Lowes or any other box stores and most websites are completly different than the ones you can buy from an uthorized deer. The ones I used most often come from a dealer, this chep ones will just sit on the shelf and only go out if I need to use 4 or 5 saws on the same job or as a backup when one of the others go down

Hawkshot99
10-07-2011, 07:07 PM
But the Huskys you buy at HD/Lowes or any other box stores and most websites are completly different than the ones you can buy from an uthorized deer. The ones I used most often come from a dealer, this chep ones will just sit on the shelf and only go out if I need to use 4 or 5 saws on the same job or as a backup when one of the others go down

I know that the Echos trimmers, and Husky blowers that i have are identical at Hope Depot/Lowes as they are at a dealer. The dealer will usually have higher end models though.

I have a Husky 150BT backpack blower I got at Lowes on sale. It is IDENTICAL to the same blower at my local dealer. Same name, same engine, and stats, but it was on sale.

GreenI.A.
10-07-2011, 08:31 PM
up to a few years ago the ones build for dealers and box stores were built in completely different factories with different internal parts, model numbers would be the same, only way you could tell with out pulling them apart was by the serial number. I remember the carborators were completely different between the two

nepatsfan
10-07-2011, 08:52 PM
up to a few years ago the ones build for dealers and box stores were built in completely different factories with different internal parts, model numbers would be the same, only way you could tell with out pulling them apart was by the serial number. I remember the carborators were completely different between the two

My dealer and husky rep both told me that they are the exact same saw....bought a 455 rancher recon from my dealer and he said they were more than likely returns from lowes. people cant figure out how to start them or something and return them....there was an open house and the rep was there, i said what you said about the quality. they said there is absolutely no difference. I was at the dealer, it would be in there best interest to tell me otherwise.

GreenI.A.
10-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Things must have changed, I know back when I was working for a dealer back around 99-02 that was the case. It would make alot more sense cost wise to just produce it to the same standards.

Either way I would still prefer and recomend to buy from a dealer simply because of dealer support for repairs.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
10-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm defenitaly not saying to buy everything from a box store. I prefer my dealer, but if a good deal shows up why not. He'll still get my repair $ and big stuff.

bobcat48
10-10-2011, 09:36 PM
I bought most of my stuff at depo and lowes..they are great i love echos,the srm 225 is a great trimmer..i know i really like mine!

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
10-11-2011, 04:11 PM
I thought it would make a good back up, but I tried it to use for edging and I got to say with I don't know if it is a weight issue or something but I couldn't use the stilh trimmer to edge with I sure can with the echo. So now I use it as a primary so I don't have to swith pieces to edge.

P and B Landscaping, Inc.
11-04-2011, 03:39 AM
We have found the home depot rental truck is a solid deal when you need another truck or if your is not heavy duty enough to pick up loam,stone, etc. Its a 1 ton and you can beat on it all day for $100. After you load it up real good and get to the job the overload buzzer can be silenced by leaving the key on, off but in drive with the parking brake on, just be sure to start it once in a while so the head lights do not kill the batt.
If you need a truck for several days and are not going to put many miles on it the uhaul rental pick up is pretty cheap too.

StihlMechanic
11-04-2011, 03:57 AM
I rent the brick wet saw when I do hardscape jobs. Might rent an aerator from them next year.

StihlMechanic
11-04-2011, 04:00 AM
I prefer Husky over Stihl, between the two of them its mostly a preference thing and people usually prefer one over the other, same as ford vs chevy. But the Huskys you buy at HD/Lowes or any other box stores and most websites are completly different than the ones you can buy from an uthorized deer. The ones I used most often come from a dealer, this chep ones will just sit on the shelf and only go out if I need to use 4 or 5 saws on the same job or as a backup when one of the others go down

You're right, the husqavarna equipment sold at the box stores are low end and mad by poulan.