PDA

View Full Version : Question on Chevy Factory Dual Battery Setup

JakeW
09-28-2011, 02:21 PM
I have an 06' 2500HD with 6.0L with the factory dual battery setup. The batteries both are less than a year old. I have strobes in each corner of the truck that I turn on when I mow. I was chatting with a customer longer than usual 2 hours or so and the battery went dead. I have read up on the system since and kind of understand the isolation setup between the 2 batteries. My question is would the secondary battery take the voltage from the strobes if I left the key on (with the truck off). Leaving the main fully charged for starting the truck. Thanx for any help

JDiepstra
09-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Who cares? Just turn the strobes off!

JakeW
09-29-2011, 07:15 AM
You're about as helpful as tits on a wheelbarrow. The strobes are on for safety while my truck and trailer are parked on the road.

ArenaLandscaping
09-29-2011, 07:19 AM
You're about as helpful as tits on a wheelbarrow. The strobes are on for safety while my truck and trailer are parked on the road.

What about cones!!
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxJFHoJy5jiz9hug5fchbBDuv9i-DSJSb2fUWu4CA8OhFrmM8qnQ

Darryl G
09-29-2011, 08:10 AM
What about cones!!
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxJFHoJy5jiz9hug5fchbBDuv9i-DSJSb2fUWu4CA8OhFrmM8qnQ

Those are the wrong color cones for parking on the side of the road! Those are for warning of a pedestrian hazard.

JDiepstra
09-29-2011, 08:40 AM

Hmmmm, I didn't know my truck and trailer were in danger. I guess all cars should be doing this then when they are parking on the road all day every day?

If your Chevy is set up like my Dodge, it doesn't matter which battery you connect too because they are still connected to each other.

ArenaLandscaping
09-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Those are the wrong color cones for parking on the side of the road! Those are for warning of a pedestrian hazard.

Thanks for the OSHA lesson! Just an example!

The point I was making is visibility.

Lots of co. around here use lime cones.

2 or 3 of these around the truck and trailer will provide the same result as orange cones.

I also think the lime cones stand out more. Anyways a cone is a cone in my book. Many pages in my book!!

knox gsl
09-29-2011, 08:45 AM
It sounds like its time for new batteries, they should be able to run a set of strobes like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
09-29-2011, 09:17 AM
There is a universal color code for traffic signal devices. The lime cones should be used when there is a pedestrian hazard, like a crosswalk or something. To warm of a vehicle parked in a traffic lane, orange cones should be used.

I know that in a lot of dual battery systems there is a relay that joins them once the vehicle starts and seperates them when it is shut off, but that's for coach batteries in campers and stuff. You should be able to figure it out with a voltmeter.

I for one understand why you would want to keep your strobes on while parked. I turn my hazards on sometimes if I'm parked on a busy road. If i'm going to be there for an extended period I fire the truck up once an hour or so.

salopez
09-29-2011, 08:19 PM
why not just jump yourself and not worry about all this other crap?

Darryl G
09-29-2011, 08:24 PM
why not just jump yourself and not worry about all this other crap?

Maybe because it's not good to drain a lead-acid battery like that?

Aaronnc
10-13-2011, 02:11 AM
I have read up on the system since and kind of understand the isolation setup between the 2 batteries. My question is would the secondary battery take the voltage from the strobes if I left the key on (with the truck off). Leaving the main fully charged for starting the truck. Thanx for any help

I've never known the batteries to be isolated. I've seen them separated in a boat, but never a truck. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I always thought they were wired parallel. Both output at 12v right? If the batteries are fresh and test out well for amps and electrolytes, I'd check the diodes in the alternator.

TLS
10-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Jake,

I don't know how our trucks are wired with FACTORY dual batteries. With the gas engines, I think they still use the isolation method.

My '04 didn't come with duals, I bought the extra battery tray and installed myself. Ran 4 gauge battery cables between the two as a diesel would be wired. This gives you much snappier starts and a far longer reserve for aux lighting when truck is not running.

Snow plowing operation is greatly improved as well as lights don't dim as much when lifting plow.

I had a 1990 K-3500 with factory dual batteries, and re-wired them after I figured out that it's only setup like this for campers so you CAN drain the one and still start the truck. With today's electronics, I'm not 100% sure how they have them set up.

Good luck, I'd check over on Plowsite as this is a common issue with snowplows.

Darryl G
10-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the OSHA lesson!

Actually more of a DOT lesson. It's all specified in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Orange is for temporary traffic control! Yellow and fluorescent yellow-green are for pedestrian and bicycle warnings.

Sorry but this kind of stuff drives me crazy...follow the standard!

It's the same with guys around here putting slow moving vehicle (SMV) signs on their trailer gates. A trailer being towed down the road at 40MPH is NOT a SMV!

P.S. - Sorry, I just saw that I already responded to this

TLS
10-13-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm with you Darryl!

I see SMV's on mailboxes!

ArenaLandscaping
10-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Actually more of a DOT lesson. It's all specified in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Orange is for temporary traffic control! Yellow and fluorescent yellow-green are for pedestrian and bicycle warnings.

Sorry but this kind of stuff drives me crazy...follow the standard!

It's the same with guys around here putting slow moving vehicle (SMV) signs on their trailer gates. A trailer being towed down the road at 40MPH is NOT a SMV!

P.S. - Sorry, I just saw that I already responded to this

No Problem! Its good to vent your frustrations sometimes!!