PDA

View Full Version : leaves are falling green

Phishook
11-07-2002, 01:32 AM
Just woundering why some of the trees are dropping there leaves green. Also, What is causing the delay of them dropping this year.

It's not all trees, some maple, and a few others.

My theory is...The drought this summer didn't put enough moisture in the leaves to make them drop(weight). Then the early frost froze some of them off before they could change color and drop.

MOW ED
11-07-2002, 07:05 AM
I've seen the same thing. One night last week everything was green and it got down to about 25 degrees. The next morning some trees that were green completely dropped. I'm talkin, not one in the tree. They mulched up nice too. I don't know why but I wish some of these slow silver maples would learn how to do that.

dr grass
11-07-2002, 09:01 AM
just a bad, strange fall following a bad, strange summer

shep :confused:

ksland
11-07-2002, 10:54 AM
Now we just need a good snowy winter to make up all the lost profits :D

mdb landscaping
11-07-2002, 03:24 PM
leaves are way behind here too. Ill be starting my first round cleanups tomorrow, and thats about 2 weeks later than i normally start. I hope the snow holds off till all the leaves up. The oaks just started dropping and have 80% of their leaves still on.

rodfather
11-07-2002, 05:16 PM
This Autumn has been whacky...first the drought and the leaves looked like they would drop way early.

Now, we are a full 2 weeks behind in them changing and droping. I wish someone could explain it to me:confused:

GarPA
11-07-2002, 05:25 PM
I love watching mother nature and I'll bet some of you do too...she has a way of taking care of her plants doesnt she...watching and learning from what she throws at us is one of the few fun things in this insane biz we're in...

HarryD
11-07-2002, 07:33 PM
im not a tree guy but ive noticed over the years that when we get a heavy frost early that some trees like mullberry , ash & black walnut will just let them go . Im sure there is a reason

GroundKprs
11-07-2002, 11:22 PM
Ever see the leaves just hang on a tree or branch that dies in summertime? Leaf drop is determined by the tree. If branch dies, or even if you get a sudden extended early deep freeze, the normal leaf drop cycle is interrupted, and leaves can hang on for a long time.

Leaf drop is caused by plant hormone signal to the abscission layer. The abscission layer is a layer of cells at the base of the leaf stem. Their function is to disentegrate when so signaled by the plant. Not sure what triggers this disentegration, whether it is basically temperature or day length, or a combo of them in different plants.

This has been a very strange year around here. Trees that started to drop leaves in August suddenly stopped, and still have leaves. 10 days ago, many maples lost all theoir leaves in a 3 day period, and some of them were still green. It may be goofy, but that's nature.

See a short discussion on <a href="http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/optics/olympusmicd/galleries/darkfield/abscissionlayerlow.html">abscission layer</a>, or find a lot more on a Google.

rodfather
11-08-2002, 05:49 AM
Glad to see somebody has an idea what's causing this:confused:

robert payer
11-08-2002, 07:37 PM
I do not mean to be the black sheep of this thread but I have found that all is on time here in Ohio. I have always been of the opinion that the most aggressive cleanups begin the week after Holloween. For about 4 years this rule has applied since I had discovered it. Yes Mother nature has conditions that can change things as discussed. I respect every ones statements. I am sure that the majority is right but I am content with the after Holloween rule.