PDA

View Full Version : What kind/how big of a trailer do you use or prefer?

brndn
09-28-2011, 04:22 PM
I work for a John Deere/Stihl/Bushhog/Frontier dealer, and we are thinking of adding trailers to our lineup. My question to all of you, who do this for a living, is what kind of trailers do you all use? Single axle? Double axle? Ones with the drop down ramp, or ones with ramps held underneath? What about tilt trailers?

We want to not only sell them, but also do a package deal if you buy a mower/tractor.

I lurk this place all the time, and love it. You all are the ones that do this for a living, so I know I couldn't get a better answer than here. Thank you all!

JDiepstra
09-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I have a 6x12 single axle. It does pretty much everything I need it to do but sometimes I wish it was bigger.

My next trailer will be 7x16 or longer dual axle and will have a gate/ramp on the curbside as well as the back.

jwsland
09-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Bri-mar 7x12 dual axle single pump 10k dump trailer. Fror a small crew it easily handles all our clean-up, material delivery needs and it tows my two Exmark Lazer z's. Barn door gates, ramps are stored underneath the trailer.
Decking boards stained and poly'd make it look profesional while increasing capacity.

A package deal on a small loader and dump trailer sounds like a good idea to me! 10k like mine is on the light side imo if your planning on hauling alot of dirt or stone.

ArenaLandscaping
09-28-2011, 04:59 PM
I have a 6x12 single axle. It does pretty much everything I need it to do but sometimes I wish it was bigger.

My next trailer will be 7x16 or longer dual axle and will have a gate/ramp on the curbside as well as the back.

I wish I lived closer to Texas, I would buy this trailer! I think this is the kind of trailer you might be looking for. Lots of options!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2011-77-x-16-PROFESSIONAL-LANDSCAPE-TRAILER-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item2a12690c6b&item=180697500779&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_2002wt_1270

I work for a John Deere/Stihl/Bushhog/Frontier dealer, and we are thinking of adding trailers to our lineup. My question to all of you, who do this for a living, is what kind of trailers do you all use? Single axle? Double axle? Ones with the drop down ramp, or ones with ramps held underneath? What about tilt trailers?

We want to not only sell them, but also do a package deal if you buy a mower/tractor.

I lurk this place all the time, and love it. You all are the ones that do this for a living, so I know I couldn't get a better answer than here. Thank you all!

I use a 7'x14' double axle trailer and a 5'x8' trailer.

weeze
09-28-2011, 05:16 PM
it's gonna vary depending on how much equipment is used by the company...some people have crews of 3 people so they take 2 ztr mowers, maybe a walk behind mower, and such so they need a big trailer....some are solo like me and only need a 5x10 single axle trailer...all i tow on it is 1 ztr mower.

JDiepstra
09-28-2011, 05:27 PM
I wish I lived closer to Texas, I would buy this trailer! I think this is the kind of trailer you might be looking for. Lots of options!!

Yeah those are sweet

brndn
09-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Awesome replies so far, guys. That's why I love this place!

What would you change about your current setups if you could change anything? For example, jwsland, do you like your barn doors on the back?

THEGOLDPRO
09-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Depends what your doing i suppose. i used to own a heavy dual axle 16 foot equipment trailer, When gas jumped upto almost 5 bucks a gallon years ago we sold the 16 footer and got a lighter single axle 14 footer to tow a 60 inch z-mower and a walkbehind around. Worked well and really helped save a few bucks at the pump.

Used it for a year or so and got sick of needing more room so we upgraded to an 18 foot Big tex, Even the 18 footer seems cramped at times and would be nice to have a few more feet, Next trailer will likely be a 20 footer.

We run a 60 inch walkbehind, and 2 60 inch z-mowers on the trailer all summer. With all of them stacked up and packed tight the trailer is completely full and just barely closes the gate by a few inches.
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=583&pictureid=4727

Richard Martin
09-28-2011, 07:25 PM
There are two trailers that make up the overwhelming majority of trailers that I've seen in 17 years of providing lawn services. The 12 foot single axle and the 16 foot tandem axle. I'd be willing to guess that these 2 trailers make up about 95% of the lawn care operators market for trailers.

johnny_boy02
09-28-2011, 07:53 PM
I have a 5'x10'. I wish it was bigger. I should have got the 7'x12'.

I would really like a dump trailer, but the added cost is not really justifiable.

vencops
09-28-2011, 07:58 PM
I've yet to hear anyone say "I wish my trailer was smaller".

I won't be the 1st. I started with a 6.5'X10.33'. I quickly grew into my 6.5'X14' tandem axle.

I wish it was 16'. I really wish I'd gone enclosed 18'.

TNGrassCutter
09-28-2011, 07:59 PM
I have a 7 x 16 dual axle with gate on the back. I wish I had an 18 ft with a side gate on the passenger side in front too. That will be my next one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
09-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Been running the same custom 6.5 x 12 single axle for 10 years now and it works for me. If I added a second rider I'd need something bigger. Also have a 7 x 12 dually low profile dump trailer that does double duty for hauling my tractor.

4 x 8 seems popoular with homeowners around here. I know plenty of lawn care guys that started with a 5 x 10 and quickly found it was too small. The big companies around here mostly run 16 and 18 footers.

ATV dump trailers are getting popular too.

Tharrell
09-28-2011, 08:29 PM
I use a 6.5 x 14 with rear and side gates.
A walk behind up front and a big Z in the back.
I also have a big push blower in the back.
I'm solo so that's what all I need.
Of course trimmertrap racks for the trimmers and a blower rack for the backpack.

I also have a 7x18 for mulch or debris.
It's just too big to haul my mowers.

fobaum
09-28-2011, 08:47 PM
I got a 16 x 7-1/2 pace. the out side width is 7'-10'' inside width 7-1/2?

knox gsl
09-28-2011, 08:59 PM
I've yet to hear anyone say "I wish my trailer was smaller".

I won't be the 1st. I started with a 6.5'X10.33'. I quickly grew into my 6.5'X14' tandem axle.

I wish it was 16'. I really wish I'd gone enclosed 18'.

I wish mine was smaller, 20' overall with a 16' deck, its about a foot to long to go in my garage as is. I really wish that someone made a trailer with a foldable tounge like a boat trailer that would be the best for me. I also wish that my trailer was 6" wider so I could get a bagger for my Lazer, It sounds like I need to get a new trailer.

A+Grounds
09-28-2011, 09:02 PM
7x14 dual axle. just enough for a wb, rider, and 21"

r.eckley
09-28-2011, 09:20 PM
If you are in so. il. you will have alot of competitionfrom Sikeston MO.
Prob. the trailer capitol of the midwest

LBA1999
09-28-2011, 09:47 PM
It all depends how many machines you need. 1 ZTR means 5x10 or a 6x12 if need room left over 2 ztr or 1 ztr and 1 or 2 WB means 6x14 min to 6x18 these will also haul a tractor too. As far as dump trailers anything larger than 6x10 should have tandem 7k axles or it will be overloaded with high sides. Do yourself a favor and pick up a quality trailer line not Lowes junk. Trailers with heavier construction, LED lights and heavier duty wheels, bearings, and tires will last longer and you will have less warranty issues to fix. Keep in mind these trailers aren't going to be used for the weekend run to get plywood at lowes or to haul the ATV to the trails. They will be beat on and used every day and need to stand up to it. I have several trailers a 5x 10 aluma for the mowers it is top of the line construction all around and will last a lifetime with no upkeep. It wouldn't hold up if used daily by a landscape crew. Because I'm solo I treat my equipment differently than a crew would otherwise I would have steel. I also have a 8.5x20 10K deckover trailer made by Pequea which is SOLID i probably have had close to twice the rated carrying cap. on it and it doesn't care. Also have a Pequea 6.5x14 dump with 6 K axles (wish it had 7K or 8K) which is a solid trailer and will easily dump 15K or more but axles are kind of light. I have had many trailers and pequea is a very well built trailer. All trailers are rated for 14K so you can just swap Axles to upgrade. Check them out my local kubota dealer sells them and it seems to be a good brand for a tractor dealer to have.

knox gsl
09-28-2011, 09:57 PM
It all depends how many machines you need. 1 ZTR means 5x10 or a 6x12 if need room left over 2 ztr or 1 ztr and 1 or 2 WB means 6x14 min to 6x18 these will also haul a tractor too. As far as dump trailers anything larger than 6x10 should have tandem 7k axles or it will be overloaded with high sides. Do yourself a favor and pick up a quality trailer line not Lowes junk. Trailers with heavier construction, LED lights and heavier duty wheels, bearings, and tires will last longer and you will have less warranty issues to fix. Keep in mind these trailers aren't going to be used for the weekend run to get plywood at lowes or to haul the ATV to the trails. They will be beat on and used every day and need to stand up to it.

I agree 100%, I hate working on something all the time and like most guys in this business I'm willing to spend more on a good trailer for daily use. A few more things to add to that list: sealed wiring harness, hydraulic brakes, radial tires. These 3 simple things will make day to day work less complicated. I think the brakes especially, I hate having to change my settings for my electric brakes, or forgetting and looking dumb with a empty trailer skidding to a stop while braking normally. Maybe add fenders that you can stand on and built in trailer tounge box.

vencops
09-28-2011, 09:58 PM
I wish mine was smaller, 20' overall with a 16' deck, its about a foot to long to go in my garage as is. I really wish that someone made a trailer with a foldable tounge like a boat trailer that would be the best for me. I also wish that my trailer was 6" wider so I could get a bagger for my Lazer, It sounds like I need to get a new trailer.

If you did (to meet the above specs)....it would be larger (SF-age).

Larger is still undefeated.:)

FoghornLeghorn
09-28-2011, 10:05 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2011-77-x-16-PROFESSIONAL-LANDSCAPE-TRAILER-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item2a12690c6b&item=180697500779&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_2002wt_1270

There's a company "Trailer Man" in Manor, TX that sells an 18 foot tandem landscape trailer with blower box, weedeater rack, and 4 foot sides for less than $2K.

Turf Tracer
09-28-2011, 10:07 PM
open trailers at least 80" wide with side gates and racks and stuff.

knox gsl
09-28-2011, 11:55 PM
There's a company "Trailer Man" in Manor, TX that sells an 18 foot tandem landscape trailer with blower box, weedeater rack, and 4 foot sides for less than $2K.

You get what you pay for on those trailers, looks like thin angle iron and cheap electrical parts.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
09-29-2011, 12:05 AM
PJ Gooseneck 20+2dove tail what I run So I can haul 3 big mowers
But you will see after having some on the lot wont be what ppl wants

knox gsl
09-29-2011, 12:08 AM
If you did (to meet the above specs)....it would be larger (SF-age).

Larger is still undefeated.:)

I would love to have a deckover trailer made from aluminum 7x14 plus a 2' dovetail and 2' sides and a tounge that would fold up to give it a total of 19' when stored. 5200lb axles and hydraulic brakes. I know it would sit higher than a normal landscape trailer but would only be about 8" wider than my truck and not as high as an open NPR truck amd weight in around 2,200lbs. I hate all these skinny East TN roads. If I'm in my lane the trailer may or may not have pavement on the passenger side and its ugly when meeting a large truck or other LCO.

knox gsl
09-29-2011, 12:13 AM
PJ Gooseneck 20+2dove tail what I run So I can haul 3 big mowers
But you will see after having some on the lot wont be what ppl wants

That would pull better than most bumper/tag style trailers.

Lawnmouse
09-29-2011, 12:17 AM
We officially opened this year, we started with a tandem 6x9 than moved to a 18x7.5 had plenty of room for all of our equipment to be carried in one shot, WB Toro Proline 32", Weed wackers on rack, Big Greenline toolbox, WB Toro 22", Tiller, Aerator and other tools and tarps. Our Truck just gave on us so i had to buy a smaller truck and I do mean small, Its a 91 GMC Sonoma v4 5 spd, and had to buy a new temp trailer, a 5x8 single axle.

You would be supriced what it can handle, I have all of my equipment minus the tiller and greeline toolbox on this trailer.

Just my 2cents. I personaly preffer my tandem axle 18' trailer

DaddyRabbit
09-29-2011, 06:46 AM
My philosophy is if you think you need a 14K GVWR trailer then get a 16K GVWR trailer, if you think you need a 16' then buy a 20'. Nothing has made me so mad than to run out of trailer. All of my trailers are double axle's with 10 ply "E" rated tires with drop down spring assist gates or ramps. Another thing, powder coating is so nice.

BPS##
09-29-2011, 06:53 AM

By the time I got done adding options and figured in the cost for going to get it myself or having it delivered it was too high.

I got a local shop to build me one modeled after theirs with some changes and using my own trimmer trap. $3400 out the door and if there is warranty issues the manufacture is close by.

I like my trailer. The next one will be a 20' instead of 16'.

DaddyRabbit
09-29-2011, 06:59 AM
I just bought this Tuesday and am waiting for it to be built which should take about 3 weeks.
http://www.southag.com/Trailers/16000%20GVWR%20Deckover%20Equipment.htm

BPS##
09-29-2011, 06:59 AM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't have to see it to know that its way too damn cheaply built and wont last for long term harsh duty service that it'll see on a lawn route.

BPS##
09-29-2011, 07:01 AM
I just bought this Tuesday and am waiting for it to be built which should take about 3 weeks.
http://www.southag.com/Trailers/16000%20GVWR%20Deckover%20Equipment.htm

Nice.

ArenaLandscaping
09-29-2011, 07:01 AM
By the time I got done adding options and figured in the cost for going to get it myself or having it delivered it was too high.

I got a local shop to build me one modeled after theirs with some changes and using my own trimmer trap. $3400 out the door and if there is warranty issues the manufacture is close by.

I like my trailer. The next one will be a 20' instead of 16'.

Nice trailer. I was thinking the same on having someone local fab a trailer similar to that design.

BPS##
09-29-2011, 07:04 AM
thanks

SNAPPER MAN
09-29-2011, 09:56 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actually they do last

I don't have to see it to know that its way too damn cheaply built and wont last for long term harsh duty service that it'll see on a lawn route.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNAPPER MAN
09-29-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't have to see it to know that its way too damn cheaply built and wont last for long term harsh duty service that it'll see on a lawn route.[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually they do last. Those trailers are very common here.

BPS##
09-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Actually they do last. He sells so many that he can sell them very cheap. Almost all landscapes here use those kind of trailers. Most common is a 16' tandem with blower box and trimmer racks. Pretty much the staple of the lawn industry here.

Hows the guys in your area survived this year with the drought and little work?

SNAPPER MAN
09-29-2011, 10:01 AM
We've been fine. Most homes here have irrigation so we still mow weekly. It's just been another normal year thank god.
Posted via Mobile Device

BPS##
09-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Their water sources must be better than some places in TX.

Back in Aug I bought a pickup out of Paris TX. I flew into DFW and saw a lot of burnt to a crisp yards and a lot of dead trees.
In the Paris area there was very little green to be seen.

Kelly's Landscaping
09-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Ummm I guess your asking more for the landscaper and that being the case Id carry 7000 gvw trailers so tandem 3500 axle's

You would want open 12 footers 14 footers and 16 footers if the guy was using to ztrs with bagging systems you need 18 footers.

Now you want a gate that drops down in the back I have a side gate on one of ours its basically useless once a week we do a lawn that requires a 21 inch mower only and it gets opened other then that never used.

Now you may want a enclosed line that is your call and if you want to offer a trailer that can carry a tractor too then you will want a heavier trailer. But for mowing lawns 7000gvw should be plenty

If you want a cheapo line of single axle 8-12 footers that's also and option.

But we all know the really issue is space how much space do you have to store the trailers at your dealership. 5000 sqft your gona have a small selection half an acre you may get to stock some variety.

icex
10-02-2011, 08:45 AM
My deere dealer sells trailers and they can't keep enough stocked, their constantly moving. They rent them for around $1200 a month for a 20 ton capacity I beleive and sell them for around $10,000+.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-02-2011, 09:45 AM
That would pull better than most bumper/tag style trailers.

Yes pulls nice empty or with a load Sometimes little long but being a gooseneck easyer to get in and out tight areas

bobcat48
11-13-2011, 03:23 PM
I use a 16' Ft landscape trailer dual axle with 4'' sides so that way i can do rock/stone jobs and haul the material on the trailer and shovel it off the trailer and into a wheelbarrow,it is great got it a few weeks back my first trailer and it is great..got a good deal on the bad boy with a scag 36'' was a deal!all the guys around use the double axles and they are easier to turn then the single ones you got the extra wheel lol some guys think differnt but it is what i like.