PDA

View Full Version : The stones on some people

bcg
09-28-2011, 07:48 PM
I tell you, the longer I'm in business, the less faith I have in humanity. We've decided recently to add another service line to our business that requires some specialized skills so we called the various manufacturers of the material we'd need to talk about why we should use their product and about what sort of on-site assistance they'd be able to give us on our first couple of jobs with the part that we need to learn. One of them brought a rep from a company that is already offering the service we're adding (I guess they misunderstood and thought we were looking for someone to sub it out to) and we talked about the job we already had lined up and what we needed from them. They sent a bid over with $xxx in for helping us out on the first job, a number that was a little high but something I could live with. Then they called us a couple of days later and said "Oops, we underbid the help part." and sent us a new bid that was 4x the original for the assistance, obviously they really don't want to help us.

Today I'm out talking to my customer at the job I've already got lined up and that I talked to them about and he mentions to me that that contractor that was at that meeting dropped by earlier that day and basically attempted to land the job for himself. I'm amazed that someone would be so sleazy as to attempt something like this. I really don't know what to say about a contractor that would try to steal a job from someone that was already bringing him in on it.

Rant over, I just had to share.

Mike Leary
09-28-2011, 10:36 PM
What a crock! Did your client hang with you and did you tell the REPS to go stick it? :hammerhead:

Sprinkus
09-28-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm not surprised, unfortunately.
But that's the difference between us and a lot of other folk.
Nice that your customer respected you enough to let you know what the other guy did.
Speaks volumes for your character.
You now owe me one beer. :drinkup:

bcg
09-28-2011, 11:06 PM
I have good relationships with my customers, I'm loyal to them and they're loyal to me in return. Besides that, in this case because it's a new service offering we're doing the job at cost and there really wasn't much chance of losing the job. It just floors me that someone would try that.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-28-2011, 11:13 PM
It didn't involve pigtails did it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
09-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Sounds like free enterprise at its finest ..... heh Pete? :clapping::rolleyes:

Waterit
10-01-2011, 11:47 AM
It just floors me that someone would try that.

Just lost a job to a competitor whose approach was to let the customer know that whatever my price was, he'd be 20% less.

NOTHING surprises me anymore when it comes to bidding.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Sounds like free enterprise at its finest ..... heh Pete? :clapping::rolleyes:

Blame the person not free enterprise. I guess you are the type that blames the gun not the criminal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
10-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Just lost a job to a competitor whose approach was to let the customer know that whatever my price was, he'd be 20%

The only way to beat that lag is charge for a design and supervise the install; you all know someone will try to lowball you. I've gotten installs by convincing the client I was in it for the long haul, and, long after my price was forgotten, the quality and attention to service was remembered. :clapping:

AI Inc
10-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Just lost a job to a competitor whose approach was to let the customer know that whatever my price was, he'd be 20% less.

NOTHING surprises me anymore when it comes to bidding.

Bid it at cost and let him beat it.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm with mike. I'm rarely the low bidder but quality and attention to detail goes a lonnng way.
As for the tactics of that guy: I have a fellow contractor whom I worked on several projects with. The relationship became one sided and I was looking to end it. Well week before I did, I won a bid on a maintenace account and was told the second bid was from him! He was bidding my end of the work, jackass! After the split, he sleaze balled me and went to the jobs we had worked on jointly and cut my throat. Fools that went for it came right back to me. I politely raised my rates 15% and they didn't bat an eye. Some guys have no integrity.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
10-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Bid it at cost and let him beat it.

Never even thought about that: you get your design straight, the boiler plate specs together, make sure you've got the Listerine, and sit down with the would-be client and SELL yourself. Dinking around with "competition" makes you one of them; distance yourself. :clapping:

Waterit
10-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Never even thought about that: you get your design straight, the boiler plate specs together, make sure you've got the Listerine, and sit down with the would-be client and SELL yourself. Dinking around with "competition" makes you one of them; distance yourself. :clapping:

I don't dink around with the competition: when the guy told me what the counter-bid was, I thanked him for the opportunity to practice my estimating (I'd gotten a little rusty after 30 years) and promised not to return his call when the other guy wouldn't come back to stand behind his work.

BrandonV
10-02-2011, 09:43 AM
What you adding on? Hardscaping? I once got a fellow landscaper a paving job (asphalt) and he had the odasity to pitch him doing the landscaping to the client before we moved in. The client was appauled and he's not gotten any more leads from me.

GreenI.A.
10-02-2011, 01:51 PM
I gave a client an irrigation and lighting proposal last week on monday, another contractor (known in this area for using the cheapest products available and quickest methods) geve them a quote on Tuesday. The customer emailed me on tuesday night saying that the other contractor gave a price of $6,600, nearly half of my $12,000 proposal. The customer showed him my lighting design and he said he would do it exactly the same for an additional $500. He told the customer tht he uses HD product and that the quality is exactly the same as the overpriced stuff that I buy, and that I only use the more expensive product to justify charging more. The customer asked if I could come down to meet his price, so I told him yes, I would. I would match is price of 7k, and with that new price i will use the cheapest materials available, use irrigation methods that will use 2x as much water, over water half the lawn while underwatering the other half. Use large high pressure heads to water the delicate flowers instead of drip, not warenty any of my work, and if you need me to stand behind a manufactures warenty next year, I wont return your phone calls. The customer didn't hesitate and said he would put the original signed contract and deposit check in the mail the next morning.

This other contractor is known for these tactics and has done this to me 4 times now on quotes, usually he just tells the customer flat out that he will beat any price by atleast 25%, usually closer to %40-%50. I actually turned him into the state in the spring because he advertised as a LLC when he wasnt