PDA

View Full Version : Please help.

wattsup
11-07-2002, 09:47 AM
To keep it short:

Customer moved into new house last week. The yard is @90% weeds. It also has a ton of shade. They want to start with leaf removal, and then get some grass growing. Is it too late to seed? I think they will have to use a fine fescue or something else that will grow in shade. My suggestion would be to kill the weeds then seed, but it is too late for that. What are some other options? Thank you.

dr grass
11-07-2002, 09:59 AM
90% weeds!!! kill off the weeds and start from scratch

shep

wattsup
11-07-2002, 10:07 AM
When do I do this? They do not want to wait until next fall to plant seed, and I have not had good results with seeding in the spring. If some one could tell me they have done it, it worked, and what they used (seed & fert). I will try anything once, or twice, or ......... Thank you.

Lawn-Scapes
11-07-2002, 02:02 PM
First do a soil test and add amendments if necessary. Check out your local ag center and ask what blend does best in shade for your area. They should also be able to tell what kind of results you will get for seeding this time of year.

How big an area is it? How 'bout laying sod?

tailoredlook
11-07-2002, 02:09 PM
till up the area, use Scotts landscaper sun and shade mix, starter fert and straw. should work fune.

Green Pastures
11-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Soil test.
Kill the weeds.
Fix the soil.
Install sprinkler system.
Grade.
Sod.

It may be a little late for seeding. I have no idea if that means sod will do ok or not. I'm assuming that if the sod is dormant, it will just lie there fine untill spring. Maybe, maybe not.

I think it's ok to seed in the EARLY spring, just have to explain that without proper watering, darn near perfect soil conditions and proper mowing height, they will lose some of the grass that has not yet matured due to the heat/stress of summer.

mdb landscaping
11-07-2002, 08:07 PM
you could do a sod install, and the sod would just lie dormant till spring. its pretty much too late to seed now, and i dont understand why they would wait till next fall. Plant some seed in early may, and tell them to water. you should have a nice established lawn before the summer heat comes and should be all set.

Scotlawncare
11-07-2002, 08:14 PM
kill the weeds now and seed. I dont think you will be able to find fescue sod in TN. there is a zoyza sod that is more shade tolerant now that you might try. finding it at local sod farms will be hard.

I'd just seed with a fescue blend maybe throw in some rye to keep from having soil erosion.

Scot

AGG Lawn Maintenance
11-07-2002, 10:27 PM
I'm with TSG. To add:
Make sure your get a blended seed with a 80% or higher germination rate. (%'s found on the back of the bag.) Starter Fert should be used for newly seeded lawns. (any other fert will burn the new seedlings.) After checking the PH level lime might need to be added. You may also need to aerate the lawn. Oh and spread hay over the new seeds to keep the birds from eating them and also feed the lawn. Sorry this isn't in order. I'm tried. Do your researh and check with your local Ag Ext agent. The best times to seed are in the Spring and Fall.
Travis

Bill Davis
11-07-2002, 11:37 PM
I'm with Greenpastures on this one. Do a whole renovation of the yard. The job will then make you look better and will make the customer happier than just doing patchwork to get their yard looking decent.

jsr2741
11-07-2002, 11:44 PM
If it's really that bad and you know anything about putting down sod, I'd talk to them about sodding their yard early next spring.

By the time you put all that effort and man hours into the work they want done it might be more expensive than putting down sod. At least this way they have a nice green yard next year and dont have to wait til the following year for grass. JMO

Steve

Bill Davis
11-07-2002, 11:53 PM
exactly right. Sometimes it is hard to sell people on the whole job at once though.

Envy Lawn Service
11-08-2002, 01:38 AM
I have your answer!!!!

I'd take the renovation as total as the customer would pay for. Don't just assume they woun't spend the money. Hit them with the whole thing up front. They may have cloesd with some cash in there pocket in planning for fixing the place up. If it's ano go, then sart backing down and offering them choices until they bite on something.

I'd kill it all if possible, but atleast the weeds. I'd get the soil test. I'd till if the ground is hard at all, but atleast core the crap out of it. Then ammend with proper nutrients, working the fertilize into the soil during tillage if possible. You'll have a hard time being sucessfull at getting deeply rooted turf established if the soil isn't fertile deep.

After that sow Millennium Tall Fescue and apply straw. You could add some rye to if you wanted. Then make sure it's kept moist until seedlings are established. Three weeks after planting, fertilize again with high P & K fertilize like say 10-20-20 at a rate of 10 lbs per 1,000 sq ft. By this time you should have good development. This fertilization should ensure a good feeding of N and put P & K in for root development and resistance to future drought as well as winterizing if you will.

I did a renovation on October 19th with that fescue and 17-17-17 for ammendment to barren soil. I got a urea/ammonium sulfate form of nitrogen as well becuse the soil was alkiline. So the type of fescue, using 17-17-17 for starter, the alkiline soil and planting this late was all new to me.

I'm having great results so far. I had plenty of rain on my side. But I've had severl good frosts on it as well. Everything is doing much better than I expected. I believe it will be a sucess in the end. But i'll be the 1st to admit I had all but conviced myself it was doomed to fail when I started.

I know you'll ask.....I'm in western North Carolina

If I can help any more let me know