PDA

View Full Version : first rain

AielLandscaping
11-07-2002, 09:50 AM
just thought i'd let everyone know, that we have just gotten our first rain in 170+ days. i don't know how you guys do it. this little bit of rain is going to throw off my whole schedule. what's the best way to go about getting back on track?

Bob Minney
11-07-2002, 10:04 AM
Take a 2 week vacation and get some rest. You may have the same problem again in another 170 days;)

bubble boy
11-07-2002, 10:13 AM
only in california...:rolleyes: :D

work late then work sat

sat night hit town...

Ryan Lightning
11-07-2002, 03:44 PM
Aiel, I have %95 of the lawns I do on a monthly price,(same all year long) There lawn should get mowed about 48-52 weeks more are less, I dont keep track. I do there lawn on the same day every week, so no one can say, it rained Thursday, why didnt you come on Fri. ? If its raining hard I dont show up at all, If its just raining a little are even really wet from the night before, Ill show up and check the timer and blow stuff off, are what ever.
I know a few guys that show up every week even in a storm:rolleyes: (They wont mow every week) and then say take the week of X-mas and Thanksgiving off.
I dont have any problems doing it this way, and I dont do any Contracts. I just try and get enough $ per month, that even if I start there lawn in the spring, it wont bother me if they get rid of me before winter. And all the burmuda lawns get rye grass, so theres something to mow. Hope that helps.

Gravely_Man
11-07-2002, 04:16 PM
That is quite a long stretch without rain. Taking a day off occasionally for a "rain delay" is nice. It gives you a chance to catch up on the office items that need attention or equipment maintenance. I advice is enjoy the rain as you don't get much.

Gravely_Man

rodfather
11-07-2002, 05:13 PM
How in the world can anything grow if it hasn't rained in almost 6 months? Does everyone had a sprinkler system in their yard in your area?

IBGreen
11-07-2002, 08:48 PM
Just ask greenman or anyone else from Arkansas. Its raind the last oh, seven days or so. I was starting to look for the ark!:D I just took off when it was pooring and when it drizzled we worked. It was really bad because we did an entire landscaping job in the rain and the day after we finished it was sunny.

greenman
11-07-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by IBGreen
Just ask greenman or anyone else from Arkansas. Its raind the last oh, seven days or so. I was starting to look for the ark!:D I just took off when it was pooring and when it drizzled we worked. It was really bad because we did an entire landscaping job in the rain and the day after we finished it was sunny.

Yep, we had over 5 inches of rain last month, it rained 17 out of 31 days. It has rained here this month almost every day since the 1st. Today we had lot of sunshine, and it reached 68 degrees. Its going to be sunshine now, but only until next week:(

Bill Davis
11-07-2002, 10:39 PM
The sunshine has me in the best mood. Today i had no wet leaves and no wet curbs to blow. It was great!!:) After the 4 days of sunshine in October we deserve it.

Green Pastures
11-07-2002, 10:47 PM
It's been raining here for almost 2 weeks straight. A day to sort of dry out here and there but RAIN, RAIN, RAIN. Today was beautiful and some dry air moved in, high pressure, a slight breeze.

By noon I was out doing leaf cleanup with the Walker. MAN, I love the Walker. When the leaves are dry like that, you can go and go and go and go, did I say go? I thought I had my Peltor's up to loud and couldn't hear the hopper alarm. It really packs ALOT of shredded leaves in that hopper. It was perfect too, cuz I was mowing at 3" but the grass hasn't grown since I last mowed, so I was getting VERY little clippings and all leaves. Why did I wait so long to get a Walker?

bubble boy
11-08-2002, 09:59 AM
weird here. yesterday almost freezing-somewhere under 40 on the US scale.

last night, by the time i went to bed had warmed up enough to make it a pleasant, cool evening. today is downright warm-at least warm enough to work in a t shirt

we have gotten some snow this week though!

go figure

ilovethisgame
11-08-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
How in the world can anything grow if it hasn't rained in almost 6 months? Does everyone had a sprinkler system in their yard in your area?

Yes, you have to remember yards here are small this is 21" mower country here. If I popsted pics of my jobs you guys would wonder how I could make a living at this :confused:

-Dave

bubble boy
11-08-2002, 12:23 PM
my operation will always have a crew with two toro prolines. start the new employees there doing 5000sq ft props...good $

ilovethisgame
11-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Yeah, it helps that people here pay 500k plus for these tiny propeties. So money is never really an issue.

-Dave