PDA

View Full Version : JRCO dethatcher VS chain harrow

firebox700
09-29-2011, 12:29 AM
I just bought a chain harrow and the place I bought it from said I could use it to dethatch lawns. Well I got it home and to me it looks a little to aggressive to be running over a decent lawn. Everyone I know and have spoken to about dethatching swears by the JRCO. But if I can get away with using the chain harrow i will. Anyone use the chain harrow for dethatching? Opinions please....

agrostis
09-30-2011, 08:19 PM
The chainharrow i pulled was way to aggressive for de-thatching. It did a good job on bare ground prep. I think it was made from 5/8 hot rolled steel.

Darryl G
09-30-2011, 10:05 PM
I have the JRCO and I'm not sure that what it does can really be called dethatching. Compared to a powered dethatcher it really doesn't do much. I do like using it in the spring on some lawns to get up matted maple leaves, twigs and to stand the grass up. It will get some of the dead grass up and the lawns I use it on seem to green up quicker, but I woudln't really call it dethatching. BTW, I also use it to give new lawn areas I plant a final raking after my final hand raking...gets out any remaining lumps and bumps.