PDA

View Full Version : Misinformation

Landscape Poet
09-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Found this off another website. It is for local Orlando area sod installation. Please tell me how much misinformation you can find in the information provided!

CLICK HERE (http://orlandolandscapingquotes.com/sod-installation-2?kw=lawn%20service&ad=14549674179&gclid=CPOch6bUw6sCFUSW7QodnHiL7g)

bugsNbows
09-30-2011, 04:15 PM
So, Jamur is a dwarf variety of St. Augustine. LOL. IDIOTIC.

jvanvliet
09-30-2011, 04:45 PM

I thought Jamur was a NY rap singer :laugh:

Landscape Poet
09-30-2011, 06:09 PM

Yep, that is what caught my attention at first. I was like WTH.

Landscape Poet
09-30-2011, 06:19 PM
How many cinch bug resistant lawns are floratam?

Landscape Poet
09-30-2011, 06:20 PM
I thought Jamur was a NY rap singer :laugh:

No, but I once bought a weedeater in a back alley from him! :laugh:

Patriot Services
09-30-2011, 06:30 PM
And most customers wouldn't know the difference. Sounds like a real ethical operation. Jamur Zoysia price for SA. Guaranteed to stay green at 2" mowing height or at least until your check clears.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
09-30-2011, 06:47 PM
How many cinch bug resistant lawns are floratam?

Ah, none?

(this is to get over ten characters so I can post this)

Landscape Poet
09-30-2011, 08:12 PM
And most customers wouldn't know the difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Most LCO's would not know the difference. You know how many times I have been on a sod farm in the office talking to the owner when I see another LCO come in and say he is there to pick up some St. Augusitne? You want to know the answer to the question that gets ask of what cultivator? Ummm the regular st. augustine.

With that said I am not going to say that I can tell the cultivator of SA that you have in your lawn unless I installed it. I can tell you what cultivator I think it is ...but to say you know for sure is very hard to accurate as most of them look two similar

Landscape Poet
09-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Someone please call the billbugs and tell them that "Zoysia has high resistance to insects"

rob7233
10-01-2011, 09:56 AM
These guys started in my neighborhood. All they knew at first was how to run a Bobcat. Afterwards, they became landscape "experts". However, lost a 14K sod job to them last year. The client didn't want to hear my concerns with what they were telling him, seeing my bid was like 40% more. Imagine that!

I can bet the high cost of paying too little landed in that client's yard....

Landscape Poet
10-01-2011, 12:05 PM
These guys started in my neighborhood. All they knew at first was how to run a Bobcat. Afterwards, they became landscape "experts". However, lost a 14K sod job to them last year. The client didn't want to hear my concerns with what they were telling him, seeing my bid was like 40% more. Imagine that!

I can bet the high cost of paying too little landed in that client's yard....

Is this that company that got that one job we went at looked at with irrigation issues, tree root issues, shade issues, access issues and oh yeah it was all bermuda and they were going to spray it once? LOL I do wonder how there job turned out...I bet they are scratching there heads right now.

Patriot Services
10-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Well at least they provided some fertile soil for the Bermuda to re~establish itself. I bet it looked great growing up through the gaps in the I'm sure crappy install.
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
10-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Is this that company that got that one job we went at looked at with irrigation issues, tree root issues, shade issues, access issues and oh yeah it was all bermuda and they were going to spray it once? LOL I do wonder how there job turned out...I bet they are scratching there heads right now.

Yes Sir, that be the one. I still have the address somewhere. I wasted my time in writing a two page letter outlining my concerns since it was a referral from an associate. I'm also curious how it turned out. Probably FUBAR.

bugsNbows
10-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Someone please call the billbugs and tell them that "Zoysia has high resistance to insects"

Funny thing though. I'm hearing about some "northern" zoysia varieties that have been attacked by different species of chinch bugs than we have here. One day, our SCB's may just change their appetites to Empire, Jamur, etc. Hope not real soon though.

Landscape Poet
10-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Funny thing though. I'm hearing about some "northern" zoysia varieties that have been attacked by different species of chinch bugs than we have here. One day, our SCB's may just change their appetites to Empire, Jamur, etc. Hope not real soon though.

Interesting...I had not heard that yet. That would be the end of "Empires" marketing scheme....end of many homeowners demand for it, not all but many.

Landscape Poet
10-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Yes Sir, that be the one. I still have the address somewhere. I wasted my time in writing a two page letter outlining my concerns since it was a referral from an associate. I'm also curious how it turned out. Probably FUBAR.

It does warrant a trip down there during EOW sometimes this winter. We need to see the quality install they recieved:rolleyes:

Darryl G
10-02-2011, 11:10 PM
I was hoping it said which side goes down but it doesn't. :(

ericbl
05-09-2012, 11:00 PM
I know this is resurrecting a post, here it goes. I have Jamur Zoysia for my lawn. It was developed here locally by Dogget. The grass is tuff as nails. Here is my path over the past three years. I bought a torro mower to cut it did not do a very good job mulching, bought a Lowes cheap lowes mower was even worse. I purchased an acre of land behind my house and bought a gravely 34" compact pro the grass Boggs it down . I finally got a tru cut reel mower going cuts right thru, and it looks great. I have to figure out why the mower is cutting lower on one side than the other. The grass LOOKS like darf St. A.

easy-lift guy
05-10-2012, 05:37 AM
You needed a reel mower to cut your type of turf in the first place, who ever told you you could use the other types and brands was wrong. Take the mower back to the dealer and have them either adjust the height or show you how to and get back to work.
easy-lift guy

bugsNbows
05-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Typically, on reel mowers, there is an adjustment for the bedknife that allows one to "even" out both sides. There is also usually an adjustment to the reel / bedknife contact. This can be checked with newspaper (or similar paper) to get a clean scissors-like cut rather than a tear or rip. Goggle reel mower adjusting.

Ric
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM

I have a different view of Reel Mowers.

High maintenance cost of reel mowers has some of our local Golf Courses going to 21" Rotary 7 gang mowers for fairway mowing. IMHO a SHARP 21" walk behind gives every good of a cut as a Triplex Reel.

Besides Bed Blade adjustment, Back lapping and reel grinding are technical skills that only GREAT mechanics have mastered. If your Green putts great thank your Club mechanic. A reel Mower for home use is only for the real up tight IMHO. They pay more and get less because they are trying too hard.

Florida Gardener
05-10-2012, 12:44 PM

High maintenance cost of reel mowers has some of our local Golf Courses going to 21" Rotary 7 gang mowers for fairway mowing. IMHO a SHARP 21" walk behind gives every good of a cut as a Triplex Reel.

Besides Bed Blade adjustment, Back lapping and reel grinding are technical skills that only GREAT mechanics have mastered. If your Green putts great thank your Club mechanic. A reel Mower for home use is only for the real up tight IMHO. They pay more and get less because they are trying too hard.

I disagree. I have cut empire zoysia with a rotary and reel and the difference is day and night. Plus, you can only go so low with a rotary and I have seen some cheap homeowners who install empire and drop the rotary all the way down only to have a scalped lawn. I do agree that a trained mechanic is necessary though. Yes, they are expensive to maintain, but that is why you charge more to use them.
Posted via Mobile Device

easy-lift guy
05-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I disagree. I have cut empire zoysia with a rotary and reel and the difference is day and night. Plus, you can only go so low with a rotary and I have seen some cheap homeowners who install empire and drop the rotary all the way down only to have a scalped lawn. I do agree that a trained mechanic is necessary though. Yes, they are expensive to maintain, but that is why you charge more to use them.
Posted via Mobile Device

So very true.
easy-lift guy

bugsNbows
05-10-2012, 03:01 PM

If a person wants to cut zoysia at or below 1 ", a reel type would be the much better choice... IMO. Additionally, I've adjusted and lapped many a reel mower. It's not rocket science. If it were, I would have not done it...I'm a lousy mechanic! LOL.