PDA

View Full Version : Seeding tests, prepartion

RigglePLC
09-30-2011, 03:20 PM
My neighbor's yard was dug up to remove tree stump. Tree company covered with poor quality soil and seeded in July, but it was hot and neighbor did not water at all, so no response. He agreed (thanks neighbor) to let me experiment with seed and soil prep on Sept 5, 2011. Not watered, and no rain until rain started at about 3 weeks, when the first sprouts emerged. Seed sown was Scotts "Classic" (28 percent rye, plus cheap blue and fine fescue). Plots were 24 inches wide and about 8 feet long.

Treatment 4 is easy to spot; it had seed, fertilizer, raked in, and mulched with grass clippings. Just to its right is treatment 3; looks best; it had 4 times usual seed rate, 2 times fert rate and raked-in. To the right of number 3 is number two, seed, fert and not raked-in--poor germination. To the left of the clippings-mulched strip is a treatment with fertilizer omitted, and then left of that, fert, seed, raked-in treated 24 hours later with Razorburn(glyphosate, diquat)(notice the dead weeds); almost no germination. Photos were taken about 2 days apart. About Sept 24, 27, and 30th.

Gilmore.Landscaping
09-30-2011, 04:53 PM
That's interesting, I have never seen grass used to protect the grass seed before? Is that a standard practice or just something you made up?

I have started mixing everything together for the last topping of soil. For example when top dressing, I mix soil, fert and seed in a wheel barrow then dish all that out on the soil at once, maybe not the quickest method but always seems to grow fairly well.

Are you going to fix the rest of that mess now for your neighbour or just a thanks for the test areas and leave him SOL? haha

RigglePLC
09-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Ya! Maybe I should fix it up pretty soon so my neighbor's grass will look OK before the snow comes.

Reusing the grass clippings to mulch the grass came from the old days at TG, when I was fixing mistakes made by TrueGreen. Rake off dead grass, scatter seed, cover over with the dead grass--leave customer a nice note and tell them to water.

RigglePLC
09-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Ya! Maybe I should fix it up pretty soon so my neighbor's grass will look OK before the snow comes.

Reusing the grass clippings to mulch the grass came from the old days at TG, when I was fixing mistakes made by TrueGreen. Rake off dead grass, scatter seed, cover over with the dead grass--leave customer a nice note and tell them to water.

Smallaxe
10-01-2011, 10:25 AM
I didn't actually do it this year, because the grass came in b4 we got any heavy rain storms... But I'm thinking next Spring of adding/mixing dried grass clipping with the compost to slow the erosion of steep slopes in the various lawns...

Thse areas are eroded down to the tree roots and should be covered with a couple inches of topsoil or compost at least... but to prevent the topsoil from washing out again I'm thinking of just using 'the Mix' to ****** the flow of water and create a series of microdams goin down the hillside...