PDA

View Full Version : removing weed vines on chain link...yes a weird question

GarPA
11-07-2002, 05:16 PM
now this is a weird question here that I'll just bet one of you has an answer for...started work on a nightmare property to clean up for a real estate sale...my customer owns many properties and this one he is selling...he pays me very well...most of the work is no problem...except...there is 150 ft of chain link that weedy vines have grown into here and there....its not "covered" with them but enough to make it a real hassle to get them off...they need to come off else the clean up will not look thorough...well Ive tried snipping the vinces and yankinghere and there but that didnt work...I could spend a boatload of hours getting this crap off one little piece at a time but was hoping one of you had a suggestion....the leaves are brown now but the vines will be unsightly...thanks much

rodfather
11-07-2002, 05:26 PM
Sounds to me Gary, like you gonna have to pull 'em by hand.

Either that or get a flamethrower:blob2:

GarPA
11-07-2002, 05:29 PM
ya know Rod I had a feeling that was what I was going to hear...poop!...oh well there are good days and bad..

jeffyr
11-07-2002, 05:40 PM
I clear a 40 foot chainlink fence once each year of vines. Glove up and start pulling. Just throw them on the ground and go at it with both hands working. You can thin it a bit with a string trimmer running slow to whip at it, but the pulling and snipping works best. I can do this fence (covered) in about 45 min-1 hour and am getting $45 for it. It is actually really easy work with no gas expense or wear on equipment.....just watch for poison ivy/oak.

jeffyr

Green Pastures
11-07-2002, 07:42 PM
FIRE, errr errr FFFFIIIIIIIIRRRREEEEEE, yeah FIRE, uhhhhh uh uh uh he said, FIRE

ksland
11-07-2002, 07:50 PM
I would roast some marshmellows, using the fire idea:blob2:

HarryD
11-07-2002, 08:00 PM
it all depends on what kind of vines they are if there milk weed type that are juicy just use your weed trimmer . but if there woody type vines then yes your gunna need to use the old gloves and pull them :(

ilovethisgame
11-07-2002, 08:44 PM
Had this same problem w/ morning glory vines. I bought two rake heads (no handles) and give it the Freddy Kruger treatment. Works great!

-Dave

KenH
11-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Paint the stems the same color as the chain link...:D

leadarrows
11-07-2002, 09:48 PM
If you have the time cut the vines off at ground level.
give them at least three days to get brittle before you pull off by hand. I've cleaned a lot of fence rows this way. Spend a couple of days precut-ting then go back to where I started and every thing pulls apart much easier.

OR FIRE:D

GroundKprs
11-07-2002, 11:04 PM
For herbaceous or light woody vines, string trimmer held at 45º angle, to line up with the direction of the wire. Sometimes have to hit both sides of fence.

For heavy woody vines, good old pruners and hand labor. And if it's a property you are doing long term maintenance on, next year when it's actively growing, treat with a woody herbicide; triclopyr is best.

Doogiegh
11-08-2002, 12:05 AM
I had a customer who also wanted about 80 feet of fence cleared from vines. They were thick and heavy and the chain link fence was the small like 1 inch squares, not the "normal size" 2.5 inch square or whatever. So this was intense finger grabbing.

Took me about 3 hours solid work. I also mixed up some Round-up Pro and using a handheld 3 gallon sprayer, walked the entire fence line so that the growth doesn't come back too too quick..

Makes me think I should contact that customer to see if the fence needs de-vining again :)

Gary

We do 4 U
11-08-2002, 12:27 AM
Why not try oe of those flame throwing weed killers that hooks up to a popane tank. I have seen them in norther catalog.

BigJim
11-08-2002, 02:43 AM
Fire works well,its just it will take the galvanising off the fence wire,then it will rust up quick.:blob2: .If you can spray it and leave it to die off it will come out easier.If you have to pull them out green theres really no easy way.

Westbrooklawn
11-08-2002, 09:43 AM
Use your string trimmer to remove all leaves......try to get down to only the main vines remaining. They pull out a lot easier after you've done that.

Plan on going through a lot of tirmmer line and then get down to some old fashion manual labor.

Gravely_Man
11-08-2002, 10:37 AM
I have faced this one before and it is not fun. I have tried the killing of the vines and letting them dry and then remove and I have tried removing the while they are still green. You can defiantly pull the vines out of the fence better then they are still green. It is a manual process but you should be getting paid well for your time.

Gravely_Man

edgit
11-09-2002, 12:50 AM
About twenty years ago I had a similar cleanup job for a properities grand opening and didn't have time to fool around. Rented one of those super high pressure washers. Did the trick in less than an hour.

GarPA
11-09-2002, 06:59 AM
well I finished it...as suggested above I used the trimmer to whack allot of it and then used my fingers to pull off the wrapped around stems...it actually went quicker than I thought with the trimmer help...thanks for the tip....at the risk of saying the obvious...PROTECT YOUR EYES IF DOING THIS..darn glad I did