PDA

View Full Version : Need ADVICE Tonight!! To buy or Not to buy!!

IrishHank
11-07-2002, 08:07 PM
I am considering buying a used Toro Z-Master. It is a 44" cut model 147. The Mower is 5 months old and has 45 hours on it. The guy who wants to sell it is asking $4500.00. I have to let him know in the morning so let me thank you in advance for your opinion. Let me know what you guys think I sould do! Take it or Leave it?

Thanks

Green Pastures
11-07-2002, 08:20 PM
By the model # you gave that's the 17 hp Kawasaki motor on it right?....If you're a big guy, 200+ lbs you will have some problems with the mower just not having enough power to pull you around and cut thick grass QUICKLY. You may not notice it in thin, short grass, but get into the thick tall stuff, you'll have to slow down. It does 8.1 MPH according to Toro's catalog, faster than a w/b, but slower than most ZTR's. It's a Toro, which in my opinion makes it a good mower, just think about

Try to talk the guy down in price based on these concerns.

I was also thinking that you did not say, how long you were considering buting a mower. I would advise against making ANY overnight decisions on which mower to buy. DEMO, DEMO, and DEMO some more.

odin
11-07-2002, 08:23 PM
another thing with that 44 you have zero trim side the wheels are as wide as the mowerdeck

Brickman
11-07-2002, 09:27 PM
Sounds to me like he is asking close to new price. See if he would take $3900. I had a 36" Toro w/15 HP Kohler. Never had any power problems.

Bill Davis
11-07-2002, 09:31 PM
no side trim, small motor, fairly high price, and no warranty I would definetly have to pass on this one.

ksland
11-07-2002, 09:36 PM
Is it a 44" ZTR that you are looking for? What would you use it for? Fenced area? or small lawns? I find when undecided like this I choose to not make a move, very rarely do I regret it. I would regret much more often chances that I was unsure of and took.

yardman1
11-07-2002, 09:37 PM
I would have to agree with Bill Davis on that one. Have you demoed or used any other ZTR mowers? I would just hate for to spend that much money on a mower and in 2 months you ended up hating it, but that is my .02 cents.

Kevin

Fvstringpicker
11-07-2002, 09:38 PM
I've got a Z-master with a 44 inch deck and a 17 hp K. I weigh 200 lbs. So far I haven't had problems with the power but I wouldm't want to go with a much wider deck. As most know, the toro and xmark tractor are the same machine. As for price, Outdoor Products in Columbus Ga was selling this machine new for $5,500 a few months back. I don't think he's going to get better than $4,500.

IrishHank
11-07-2002, 09:43 PM
I know the dealer he bought it from and it sold for 6,100 here in Florida. It has a Kawasaki engine on it (17HP), and keep in mind it is a ZRT not a walk behind. I hate making quick decisions, but If I buy it when the season starts again in March I will pay full boat for it! Plus sales tax. I have used it, but not much. Does anyone have any input as far as performance on the z100 series mowers?

Bill Davis
11-07-2002, 11:26 PM
The only think that i serously dislike about the Z100 series is the deck. It is a stamp deck and not a welded deck. With some of the things that i have managed to hit with my Exmark I would never buy a stamp deck again for a ZTR. It's your decision though.

Fvstringpicker
11-07-2002, 11:40 PM
I've had good luck with mine. I use the mulching kit and it's done a good job. If/when I have trouble with the deck, Ill put an exmark deck on her. Price wise, you're right, sale tax would be added. $4,500 not too bad with 45 hrs. I have enough Jew in me, (not kidding) to offer him $4,100 and see if he blinks.

Envy Lawn Service
11-08-2002, 02:31 AM
The only thing I have to say is this....

When I 1st started thinking about a ZTR I was convinced that a 44" or 48" would be plenty for me. Well It probably would. Butthey have no trim on the deck. Imagine trying to mow up close to something with it. I bet after you do, you'dd decide something in the 52" range is minimum for trim ablity. Heck I'm eyeballin' some in the 60" range now. Go figure!

If you are seeking a small ZTR, I have only seen one that was a 48" and had some trim. That was one of the old frame design model Huqvarna or Yazoo Kees exactly like the ones pictured on their web site.

That's about all that I can really say, hope it helps.

We do 4 U
11-08-2002, 02:36 AM
I was told by my toro dealer that the Z100 mowers share a lot of the same parts as the Time Cutter Z, the Toro home owner version of a Z. $4500 is close to new price aroud here, try and talk him down if you want it.

Envy Lawn Service
11-08-2002, 02:52 AM
I believe you've been lied to there. I saw absolutley no common stuff on them. Just looked at them today.

awm
11-08-2002, 08:55 AM
my dealer has a 62 demo w 62 hrs for 6200 i believe. if interested ,email me as i may not get back this way for a few days.

NHLawns
11-08-2002, 09:46 AM
I have the same mower you are looking at. I had the new bagging system put on for fall clean ups. So far it has preformed very well for me. It can get in to some small areas that I would have use a 21" on, so it saves me from having to go back to the trailer loading and unloading. If you can justify the purchase and have the need for this unit I do not think you will regret it.

MWHC
11-08-2002, 11:34 AM
I also own this mower. The engine is plenty strong even if you are 200 lbs. There is a great difference in parts and quality between this mower and the home owner version. The Z Master 44 sells new between 5500 and 6000. It is a nice machine if you need a small Z. If you don't have small gates to contend with, spend the extra $$ and get a wider deck. The time you save will make up the cash difference fast.