PDA

View Full Version : Paver Nightmares

JimLewis
10-01-2011, 07:59 PM
There are just certain situations where you just have to look and say to yourself, "Damm...did you have to???"

There are so many things wrong with this project that I don't even know where to begin. It would take too long to list the things that are wrong here. Believe it or not, it honestly looks twice as bad in person as I was able to show with these photos. The driveway is at an impossible slope in many parts. The elevation change from the sidewalk up to the main gate is like 10'. The angle you have to turn just to get into the driveway is impossible. The slope continues to be a major problem all the way up to the garage. I wish I could have captured that in the photos but the weeds are just too tall to really see what I am talking about. The paver installation alone was done all wrong, despite the impossible slope and angles. It's just sad and all wrong.

This house currently sits vacant in a part of Portland that is one of the most highly sought after real estate areas in town. Most homes in this neighborhood go for $1Mil-$2Mil and this house sits vacant now because you can't even get your car up to the garage to get to your house every day. It's what I call "Paver Nightmares." I wish you could all see how much worse it looks in person. This was a disaster from the start, I'm sure. And it's just gotten worse over the years.

nepatsfan
10-01-2011, 08:52 PM
How long did it take you guys to do it?

93Chevy
10-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Looks like Detroit.

JimLewis
10-01-2011, 09:11 PM
How long did it take you guys to do it?

Haha...... Always one in every crowd...... You're a funny guy..... :laugh:

nepatsfan
10-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Haha...... Always one in every crowd...... You're a funny guy..... :laugh:

LOL...I know you guys do nice work:laugh::drinkup:

larryinalabama
10-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Looks like work done in the 1920s?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
10-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Jim, do you have your demolition license? A few sticks of c4 and you guy's can redo that mess. I personally wouldn't know where to begin with that mess.

DVS Hardscaper
10-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Do you have any pictures of the construction process? What brand is the material?

DVS Hardscaper
10-02-2011, 01:08 PM
i always did like the Adams Family

Darryl G
10-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Ok, yeah, that looks screwed up. But aren't the problems mostly related to the pre-construction engineering and architectural design of the house and lot and driveway? I don't think that anything the paver contractor did would resolve those problems. It's not like you can just rip it all up and do it over and fix it without some major site work. It's still going to be steep as hell. I think the blame should go to the engineer/architect.

DVS Hardscaper
10-02-2011, 01:53 PM
there was no architect or engineer. thats a build as you go.

zedosix
10-02-2011, 03:45 PM
That job was likely done over 20 yrs ago. I remember using that brick in the late 80's. Just needs some polymeric sand and edge restraint, then its good for another 20yrs. :)

DVS Hardscaper
10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I believe Jim mistitled the topic.

I do not see a "nightmare". And the people that had it done probably did/do not either. Thats what they wanted.

I see a challange. An opportunity for me as a contractor to bring in my architect, my excavator, my skiddy bopper, and my F-250 (with the cool sounding engine of course) and make some money.

I will be posting pictures, oh....in about 15 months. (I think that's along the lines of how long MRusk would be there)

JimLewis
10-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Yah, okay. You do that..... :rolleyes:

Darryl G
10-02-2011, 08:06 PM
They could just install a small underground parking garage like they do in some cities...problem solved...where do I collect my fee?

Dr.NewEarth
10-02-2011, 09:37 PM
I wonder why they didn't originally locate the driveway to the left of the property and straight from lower left to upper right?

It would have still been steep, but not so (F......) messed up

My other idea was to locate a parking spot inside and to the left of the black gate where
it appears flatter? Then they can pull in and back into the top right parking garage.

Those bricks on the hill are ugly and a maintenance nightmare I will bet.
Are those suckers coming up from the tree?

How about pitching a two level retaining wall and a new driveway?

JimLewis
10-03-2011, 01:17 AM
How about pitching a two level retaining wall and a new driveway?

Yah, well first of all it's been vacant for a while. Probably bank owned.

Second, I am not in a position to need to chase down business. We grew by 45% last year and over 50% again this year. I see all sorts of stuff like this where I could stop and pitch my services but I'm already more busy than I can handle with just the calls that are already coming in to stop and trying to sell someone on something they may or may not be interested in.

JDiepstra
10-03-2011, 02:30 AM
Yah, well first of all it's been vacant for a while. Probably bank owned.

Second, I am not in a position to need to chase down business. We grew by 45% last year and over 50% again this year. I see all sorts of stuff like this where I could stop and pitch my services but I'm already more busy than I can handle with just the calls that are already coming in to stop and trying to sell someone on something they may or may not be interested in.

You cant be that busy if you have all sorts if time to be going around taking pictures of random garbage you say you dont even want to work on. I dont get the point of all these threads on lawnsite where people just make fun of other peoples stuff. Serious psychological issues on this site!:laugh:

JimLewis
10-03-2011, 03:49 AM
Right. Because it took me SOOO much time to take these photos when I already had my camera in the front seat for another photo shoot I was doing 3 houses down on a job we just completed. I couldn't possibly be busy because I had time to take a photo. Right. Good point. I'm making it all up. Ok..... :rolleyes:

Sorry. I'll make sure not to take 60 seconds out of my day just to make sure you think I'm really busy. :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

If you don't like the threads, the don't participate. Who's the one with issues? The one who makes the post or the one who takes time to go through everyone else's posts, reads them and then goes the extra mile to comment on what a ridiculous waste of time this all is?

DVS Hardscaper
10-03-2011, 11:16 AM
If you don't like the threads, the don't participate. Who's the one with issues? The one who makes the post or the one who takes time to go through everyone else's posts, reads them and then goes the extra mile to comment on what a ridiculous waste of time this all is?

Well Said Jim! There are some here who have NEVER posted one picture of their work. Never started a topic. Yet they chase down others with only negative comments. One particular response from a particular subject in my 911 Topic spoke volumes.

Darryl G
10-03-2011, 11:26 AM
You cant be that busy if you have all sorts if time to be going around taking pictures of random garbage you say you dont even want to work on. I dont get the point of all these threads on lawnsite where people just make fun of other peoples stuff. Serious psychological issues on this site!:laugh:

We can all learn from the mistakes of others. A large part of learning any trade is learning what not to do! You would be hard pressed to find a member that has contributed more or his/her insight and knowledge to this site than Jim.

DVS Hardscaper
10-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Yeah but if you got that job it would add another 8% to the numbers :weightlifter:

I hear ya on the chasing down business. I see work all the time that I would love to re-do, but I don't have the time to pursue.

There is a property nestled on a backroad about 3 miles from my house that had a HUGE retaining wall that was failing. I wanted to price rebuilding that wall. But at the same time I didn't have the time to initiate any action. So about every 2 months I would drive by it and see if anything's been done with it. After about a year it finally got rebuilt. (by the home owner i believe :dizzy: glad I didnt waste my time)

Dr.NewEarth
10-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Time for a Snickers bar!

nepatsfan
10-03-2011, 07:21 PM

Are you related to topsites?