PDA

View Full Version : Nieghbor wants leaves removed from my customers lawn

Turftiger2
11-07-2002, 09:23 PM
I was doing a clean up with leaf vaccum on the turf tiger. After finishing with the vaccum. Got the blower to finish up cleaning and put a little bit of leaves under some trees on the same property with the intention of removing them in a couple of weeks after the leaves are finished falling from the trees( this is when we do the bed clean outs as well.) This area had numerous leaves under the trees when we we had started. Area is a wooded area between properties.,
Upon loading up the machines the next door neighbor comes over and says he wants all the leaves taken out from under the trees and taken away NOW!! He says that they will blow into his yard. I told him I would take them away after all the leaves have fallen. He was not pleased with my response and stormed away.
Got back to the office and recieved a message from the police department wanting a call back tomorrow.
Has something like this ever happen to you? If so what were your response.

Mowingman
11-07-2002, 09:29 PM
I would have told the neighbor you will do whatever the owner of the property tells you to do, and nothing else. Then call the owner, your customer, and tell him what you are doing and why, and what it is the neighbor wants done. Let him decide what needs done I have no idea why the police would stick their nose into this unless you are violating some city code.:confused:

Brickman
11-07-2002, 09:33 PM
Be sure to post what the coppers want tomorrow.

As for the neighbor sounds to me like he was having a bad day, and looking for a power trip and you were the closest thing around. When that didn't work, he calls the cops. I wonder what he was smoking when he called them?

Turftiger2
11-07-2002, 09:43 PM
Customer called me and said the police were there and they want to talk to me. Aparently he told the Police that we blew leaves into his yard. This did not happen. He did not acuse me of that when he was talking to me about it.
Nieghbor said she is pretty embarressed to have the police over at her house for something like this.
She says never had a problem like this before with that neighbor.

KenH
11-07-2002, 09:44 PM
If you kept the piles of leaves on the property you are working, the neighbor has no choice. He cant tell you what to do with your leaves, on your property. Ive had this experience before with the police. You get some old people who have nothing else to do but watch the leaves blow.

bubble boy
11-07-2002, 09:51 PM
that's unreal:blob2:

i guess its the neighbor's word against yours. see if other neighbors have noticed you efforts to not get leaves on their yard. they could back you.

thats if the police pester you. i can't see them doing that. what proof? plus they'll use their common sense.

let us know the outcome.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-07-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by KenH
If you kept the piles of leaves on the property you are working, the neighbor has no choice. He cant tell you what to do with your leaves, on your property. Ive had this experience before with the police. You get some old people who have nothing else to do but watch the leaves blow.

Every year I get some poor schmuck old fart arrested for diaturbing the peace, and they were the ones who called the police.

I will not step foot or physicaly blow leaves on their property, if they got that way, good ole` mother nature wanted them to go there, and I tell the police the same thing.......

I have had problems with both young and old.

Been arrested once or twice or three times........

This is mostly the result of a windy day, and a ****head neightbor.

If they come out nicely I will be nice, if they come out with attitude they get it RIGHT back but doubled.

For the situation, you better tell your customer your conversation with the neighbor.

mdb landscaping
11-07-2002, 10:09 PM
people like that are a pain in the butt. i cant say ive been in that type of situation, but im suprised the police are wasting their time. legally, i dont see how you are liable. ill be interested to hear how it turns out.

KenH
11-07-2002, 10:22 PM
I think its the responsibility of the police to follow up on a complaint, even though it has no merit. I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. If the police dont do anything, I would go tomorrow and make the piles BIGGER:D

Ray&Christine
11-07-2002, 10:34 PM
Every now and then we have small problems with our customers neighbors. When ever it happens I try to leave my customer a note telling them about what happened and let my customer handle thier whacko neighbors. Last week I had the old fossil who lived next door to my customer start to pile all the leaves off his driveway on my customer lawn for me to pick-up with my Walker. He had a pile about 2 feet high and 30 feet long running along the edge of my customer's lawn. I just left his leaves there and left a note for my customer explaining what the neighbor did. My customer never said anything about it so I guess they sorted it out with this old guy. I find most of my customers are easy enough to get along with but some of the neighbors need a life.

Ray

Nebraska
11-07-2002, 10:52 PM
It happened here today too. My guys called and said they were being cussed out regarding leaves blowing from a customers yard into his. Told my guys to smile, apologize for the unpredictability of mother nature, give him a card, and let him know we would appreciate it if he kept us in mind for any lawn care needs including leaf removal.

I don't know for sure if they actually did it.....I do know at the very least they did not take it personally and moved on to the next property with minimal delay (giving him the "invisible bird" on their way out).

Some people really have nothing better to do then look to out windows and create problems.

BigJim
11-07-2002, 11:14 PM
:D Yep doesn't it always get you going when some know it all busy body comes from next door to tell you how to do your job.:angry:

jsr2741
11-07-2002, 11:31 PM
Had a fellow I work with answer a call like that. Old broad called complaining about the neighbors grass clippings being discharged into her yard. Now I'm not sure as to how tall this person had let his grass get but the copper told him he'd give him a couple hours to rake it over to his yard.

Well I guess the guy didn't think the ol'broad would call us again but she did and I think the guy ended up getting a summon's for peace disturbance.

I have had a few neighbors butt in when I'm workin and even threaten to call 5-0, but I tell them they don't need to because they're already talkin to a cop, I then flash the tin. That seems quell it pretty quick.:D

Yep, folks call for the dumbest things and don't call when something needs our attention.:blob2:

Steve

Swampbeast
11-07-2002, 11:42 PM
Wow! I have never had the police get in on it, but I have a couple of stories. This one yard I do is adjacent to the yard right next to it, and we have to just use our imaginations as to where one yard ends and the other begins. We mow this one at about 3 1/2 inches tall, the neighbor mows his own at about 4 1/2 inches. Well, guess what? He got mad and said that we should mow our lawn at 4 1/2 because, and I quote, "it makes my yard look like S--- when you dont mow it the same level, and your blowing all that dang grass clippins all over my yard!" He got so mad over this silly thing that he got his shotgun out, when he did that I had no choice but to, ahhh, 'relieve' him of it. I threw the shotgun in his pool, and then went and got the customer and told them what happened. Teh customer and the neighbor had one hell of a yelling match, (apparently they havent liked each other for a while) while me and my crew got some free entertainment watching the two old birds go at it! It all ended when the neighbors daughter came out and told him he was being a ridiculous old windbag and to shut his flapper, but not so nicely. We left.
We still mow the yard at 3 1/2 inches, and are very careful to blow as much grass clippings as we possibly can into the neighbors yard.

People sometimes.....

:cool:

Captain Calamity
11-07-2002, 11:46 PM
Here's a different twist. I had one lawn where some of the neighbors leaves were always falling on. This cool neighbor always insisted on paying the entire cleanup fee. Of course being a small postge stamp lawn it didn;t amount to much, but hey, there are some good ones out there too.:D

General Grounds
11-07-2002, 11:51 PM
:blob2: :blob2: dont people have anything else to ***** about, really by the time you get back in a few weeks you would have had a few windy days and many more leaves will have blow there, what are they gonna do call the police about the wind too, get a life. tony

jsr2741
11-07-2002, 11:51 PM
Heck swampbeast, sounds to me like you should of called the 5-0. You definitely have a flourishing of a weapon there. But I do like how you handled it, wish more people would do try and solve their problems before calling us.

Steve

Swampbeast
11-07-2002, 11:58 PM
Yes, I probably should have, but it just ticked me off that he was getting a shotgun out over GRASS so I just took it from him.
If that ever happens again (and with all the Texas redneck yards I mow, its a perfect possibility :rolleyes: ) I think I will call.

Green Pastures
11-07-2002, 11:58 PM
I dont think the neighbor can tell you or his neighbor what to do with anything on his property, unless it's like a big pile of junked cars, or lots of trash, something like that.

Nebraska
11-08-2002, 12:49 AM
Three years ago I had an old lady call the Police on me because my second pass with a 52" mower blew clippings through the chain link fence onto her yard. We agreed to take two passes blowing in then the third out. That lasted 2 weeks, forgot about it.... She called the Police again.... Did it special for another 2 weeks and forgot.... She called the Police again... They then told her to stop bothering them and to file a civil lawsuit against us or the owner of the rental. Never heard anything since. Except for the occasional comment from my crew about the dirty, nasty, nose to the glass stares she gives.

Randy Scott
11-08-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Turftiger2
I was doing a clean up with leaf vaccum on the turf tiger. After finishing with the vaccum. Got the blower to finish up cleaning and put a little bit of leaves under some trees on the same property with the intention of removing them in a couple of weeks after the leaves are finished falling from the trees( this is when we do the bed clean outs as well.) This area had numerous leaves under the trees when we we had started.

How long would it have taken to vac up these little extra piles of leaves you blew back under the trees? Probably would have eliminated this problem. I know how leaf cleanups go, and you'll finish it off nicely when they are done dropping, but this situation could have been eliminated. Lessons we learn everyday I guess. The fact that someone saw you blow some leaves back to the lawn, or was it a landscape bed beneath the tree, not clear on that, either way, even though it's YOUR customers property, pretty much makes you the scape goat.

Nontheless, the neighbor is pretty much a jerkoff. If this is all that troubles them in life they are a sad pothetic little individual. This stuff really hits me to heart to have someone mad about something so trivial in life.They're fricken' leaves for gods sake. They'll decompose and make the ground a better host for turf! Whatever! Move on I guess and it's things like this that make me realize how much better of a person I am than others. Pretty arrogant huh? Oh well. People are idiots.

goodbeus
11-08-2002, 06:54 AM
He got so mad over this silly thing that he got his shotgun out, when he did that I had no choice but to, ahhh, 'relieve' him of it. I threw the shotgun in his pool, and then went and got the customer and told them what happened.

We had that happen before, called the cops out...they we're going to take him to jail...got back to the office, the guy's attorney called wanted to know what it would take to keep his client out of jail...jokingly, i said $10,000...lawyer said,"let me call you back"...5 minutes later he called back and informed me the check was on the way and who should he make it out to...it was 2 weeks before Christmas when we got it, made one heck of a nice bonus :) :D ;) :p

Tony Harrell
11-08-2002, 07:03 AM
I've had a few personal encounters too. Trivial stuff really. My next door neighbor confronted me about mowing a slice of his yard. The back side of the property line forms a small L so I ran it straight back. From the road to the L, it gradually increases to about 2.5 feet. There's more to it than that but I won't take up your time with details. Let's just say it cost me $1800 but I got a nice letter from the DA saying how he'd rather not go to superior court over something trivial. Same neighbor came rushing out 2 weeks ago when I ran my tiller over the side lot to begin a lawn renovation. Since I live in the county, I've thought about putting some hogs over there!

awm
11-08-2002, 08:38 AM
didnt read all the replys so i dont know what direction this thread has taken.
but the original post makes me count my blessing for livin in rural nc. every once an a while we have one of these busy bodies that dont know how to mind their own. thankfully so far they move after a while. except for one ,and he keeps a low profile ,nowadays. didnt take him long to find out we dont do things that way here. yet anyway.:)

rkbrown
11-08-2002, 09:40 AM
Gee, this thread brings back memories. I spent part of my growing-up years in Reston, Virginia. In about 1972, when I was 14, we lived in a townhouse subdivision. I worked for the subdivision maintenance crew (ie. One of the subdivision homeowner association board members was tasked with the job of keeping up with the common areas of the subdivision and hired a few kids to do it on Saturday mornings). We tried to be respectful of the neighbors and didn't start until 9 am. One day he sent me off to work on the far side of the subdivision alone, near some apartments. I'm happily mowing and this guy runs up to me yelling and cursing. I turn the mower off and he continues, at the same volume as before and using the same choice language, about how Saturday is the only day he got to sleep in and how I had ruined it for him. All the while calling me names, one I thought was a physical impossibility and another questioning if my parents were actually married. This hacked me off, but I was able to keep my cooland just said "Sir, you will need to discuss this with my boss. He is on the other side of the subdivision, but I will take him to you if you would like." I can understand the man's frustration, but he certainly did not need to be verbally abusive to a 14 year old.

Brickman
11-08-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by goodbeus
He got so mad over this silly thing that he got his shotgun out, when he did that I had no choice but to, ahhh, 'relieve' him of it. I threw the shotgun in his pool, and then went and got the customer and told them what happened.

We had that happen before, called the cops out...they we're going to take him to jail...got back to the office, the guy's attorney called wanted to know what it would take to keep his client out of jail...jokingly, i said $10,000...lawyer said,"let me call you back"...5 minutes later he called back and informed me the check was on the way and who should he make it out to...it was 2 weeks before Christmas when we got it, made one heck of a nice bonus :) :D ;) :p

Dang dude, this gotta be rough. :D :D :D :D :D

AL Inc
11-08-2002, 10:04 AM
Randy Scott, I thought the same thing- This person must not have much going on in their life if they are complaining about leaves on another person's property. I don't believe there is much the police can do to you either, I could be wrong. I've been in this business a long time and we get a few of these every year.
I think most of the time we are just easy targets-just because we are blowing leaves and the wind is taking them doesn't mean we are purposely blowing them into the neighbors yard. So certain people will yell about it. Don't take it personally and good luck. Mike

Gravely_Man
11-08-2002, 11:24 AM
I am not an attorney nor is this meant as legal advice. I would imagine that the reason the police are involved is that the neighbor possible stretched the truth a little. You could be asked some questions concerning illegal dumping (if the leaves on now on the neighbors property), possible trespassing or even the making of threats. I would highly recommend that you talk with the police as soon as possible and let us know the outcome. Some people can just be difficult.

Gravely_Man

KLMlawn
11-08-2002, 11:25 AM
Had a similar situation last fall, we were pliing leaves out in the street with tarps and dumping the barrels, were then going to use the loader. The pile was about 75 ft long, 5 ft high and about 10 ft wide ... it was a bit windyand was already dark and the truck was full. The neighbor across the street comes over and says that we can't stack or pile leaves on the street and we must clean them up immediately. I told them that this is our normal method of doing a cleanup we could not fit anymore into the truck and would be back tomorrow, first thing, to finish. 15 minutes later, a cop shows up and asks what is going on ... I explained the situation and the cop understood and had no problem with it as long as when he got back on tour the next day, the leaves were gone.

jsr2741
11-08-2002, 12:13 PM
I can tell you all why the Police were called. Because the idiot called. Where I work the philosophy is to send the police whenever someone calls. The poor dispatchers have no discretion and are told they can not screen the calls.

Believe me if I could, I wouldn't go to about 70% of the crap I get sent to.:dizzy:

Runner
11-08-2002, 12:14 PM
The street is publc domain, no matter who's house it's in front of. We were confronted just last year at about this time. The neighbor from across the street and down a little ways, came out and said we can't stack leaves in front of his house. (he already had some out there. I explained that since there was already some on that side, it would save the city workers even more work, and help keep the lanes open as well. Well, you guessed it, he called the cops. They came out, listened to him, then listened to me. They then told him. "Guess what? You don't OWN the street." "That is fair game, and these guys are only helping. You should be glad they are leaving them in the street and not the right of way of your yard, because being that it is city property, and it is a city operation of having leaves placed at the curb forf cleanup, they could legally use that right of way, right up to the sidewalk."
The stupid neighbor just went inside. The thing that got me was that this neighbors house was on the west side of the street, so it was highly unlikely that any of these leaves would blow back onto his property.:rolleyes:

Brickman
11-08-2002, 12:19 PM
I think this thread is VERY good proof that mentally chalenged people should not breed. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Just Turned Pro
11-08-2002, 12:37 PM
Ditto what most have said above, this is another symptom of our “911 reliant help me cuz I’m an idiot and can’t do anything by myself” society. Remember that the police only came because this idiot called them. Of course when he talked to them he probably stretched the truth a little…. None-the-less they have the obligation to contact everyone involved and “investigate” each incident regardless of how trivial it is.

If only there was a system in place to fine people who called 911 for stupid stuff… but that would never fly!

Swampbeast
11-08-2002, 12:50 PM
I think if the cops come out there, see it was something stupid, you should have to pay them for the wasted time and the gas money.
Your right Brickman, mentally challenged people shouldnt breed.

jsr2741
11-08-2002, 12:59 PM
I can tell you how to solve stupid people dialing 911. Just add another digit.

I agree with swampbeast. I'd be rich now and wouldn't need to work my butt off.

AztlanLC
11-08-2002, 01:05 PM
It happened here today too. My guys called and said they were being cussed out regarding leaves blowing from a customers yard into his. Told my guys to smile, apologize for the unpredictability of mother nature, give him a card, and let him know we would appreciate it if he kept us in mind for any lawn care needs including leaf removal.

I think nebraska way of dealing this situation it's the best for a business man.

10 points on nebraska repply

KLMlawn
11-08-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Brickman
I think this thread is VERY good proof that mentally chalenged people should not breed. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Ditto !!! They should be shot ....:gunsfirin

HarryD
11-08-2002, 02:59 PM
in alot of these situations the pita neighbor is real picky about there lawn and maybe spent all day the day before picking up there leaves . when you come in and it takes you 45 min to do the same job and a few of the leaves go into there yard they freak . ive had this happen to me too . i just tell them until all the leaves are done falling your just gunna have to deal with it and say sorry

KenH
11-08-2002, 07:04 PM
Turftiger2---Any updates???

(Maybe he's in the bighouse:D )

Bob Minney
11-08-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by KenH
Turftiger2---Any updates???

(Maybe he's in the bighouse:D )

And heres the conversation with cell mates

What you in for-
Ah, I was drunk and killed 3 guys, and you......
well, I stole a car and robbed a bank, smacked the VP with my shot gun. Hey you in the corner, what you in for-

Blowing leafs on the neighbors lawn:cry: :cry:

Who do you thinks in the most trouble:D

Tvov
11-08-2002, 09:07 PM
A few years ago had an annoying neighbor of a customer complaining about a leaves and sticks from a tree that was right next to the property line on my customer's property. I asked the neighbor if he would rather have the tree cut down, he said no, it provides shade for his house/property :rolleyes:

As a couple of previous posts alluded to, I think there is a lot of jealousy involved, when the neighbor doesn't have a lawn service.

I tell my guys to be polite, and direct the pita to me.

Turftiger2
11-08-2002, 09:13 PM
I called the police officer back this morning. He said that when he was investigating the complaint at my customer's neighbor's yard he could not tell were he had said I had blown leaves into his yard. In fact he said that the leaves that were on the ground in his yard were stuck in the ground and looked llike they were there for 3 months. The cop asked me to call him back only because he had told the nieghbor that he would. He thought this whole issue was pretty silly and that I did not have to remove the leaves from my customers yard.
The cop said that he was in Afganistan just a few days ago and had a hard time comprehending the severity of the dielema that my customers neighbor insisted that he was in.
My appreciation goes to this officer for reacting in the manner in which he did.

Steve

bubble boy
11-08-2002, 09:22 PM
something tells me your future visits to the property will be interesting...glad the cop saw what was what.

Ricky
11-08-2002, 10:27 PM
People here in Ky. are serious about their yards. I heard on the news this summer that a father and son were mowing when the customer came home. He didn't like the way that they cut the grass and KILLED them both! So remember that the next time you see someone mad about your work, esp. If he has a weapon.

JasperStorm
11-08-2002, 11:23 PM
After being in this business for awhile, you learn to laugh off these things.

Any real cop would take your side, unless you have the appearance of being a scuzz dirtbag, in which case they might side with the neighbor just to mess with you.

You can say to the neighbor:

"Take two Midol and don't call me in the morning."

"I'd be happy to discuss this with you, but I expect you to to be sober."

GreginAlaska
11-09-2002, 01:49 AM
We had a lady snowplow customer call to tell us about an event that happend at her place. She was outside watching our driver push snow out of her drive and into the ditch across the road. A lady that lived across the street came out yelling at him, saying he can't push snow into the ditch. (She's wrong, it is legal here) Our driver got out of the truck and smiled as she "Read him the riot act". When she was done our driver just said "Ma'am I think you need to find Jesus and thank me for pushing the grader berm at the end of your driveway for free." She gawked at him for a minute, started to cry and said "I do know Jesus, it's been a bad day, I'm sorry" She's a customer of ours now...pays right on time too. :)

Swampbeast
11-10-2002, 01:20 AM
This just happened earlier in the day to me, and I thought of this thread, and had to tell yall.
About three weeks ago, we had one of our customers watching us mow her lawn. We mowed everything with huge mowers, fine. We edged with a stick edger. Fine. We pulled out the weedeaters, (bump feeds of course) and used them about 2 minutes before she caught on to what we were doing, bump feeding them more line. She got so mad at us for this, thinking we were purposely trying to wreck her lawn. Well, she fired us, no matter what I told her! She said she would find a lawn company that didnt use "those nasty machines" to trim with. I said whatever and got in the truck and left. Today, she called, almost in tears, telling me how I knew best and would I please come back and do her yard? She said she had called 23 different LCOs, and of course, all of them used bump feeds. He he! I was as polite as I could be, and we mowed her yard today!

goodbeus
11-10-2002, 08:06 AM
I hope you bumped up the price on that account...I sure would have, anytime a client drops us and calls back, there's a price increase...

dr grass
11-10-2002, 10:37 AM
wow. i never had a problem with people calling the police on us. i guess ive been lucky. if a situatuin did arise where the police did have to get involved, i would cancel that client in a second. i dont give a s**t if we've been cutting the yard 15 years. it isnt worth it!!!!

shep :angry:

Brickman
11-10-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by goodbeus
I hope you bumped up the price on that account...I sure would have, anytime a client drops us and calls back, there's a price increase...

Always. I would have told her due to cost increases in your suppliers of parts, fuel, etc. the price has gone up, and I would go up about $10 for that yard. Since she knows you are the best then make her pay for being the best.
What she did was BS.

kutnkru
11-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Turftiger2
... Aparently he told the Police that we blew leaves into his yard. This did not happen. He did not acuse me of that when he was talking to me about it. ...The fact is that if I have a property with no trees and the neighbors have these humoungous monsters that until it windrows along the border I blast them back across the property line.

I tell the neighbors when they balk that if they arent willing to pay the bill for us to clean up their trees mess, they should be respectful enough to do it themselves!!!

I have been reported, questioned by authorities, and have never had anything come of it either - just for the record. you might want to check with your town or their town because people who always piss and moan are known as "complainers" and this can work in your defense when necessary as well.