PDA

View Full Version : fall seeding when is it to late and where to find a soil temp forcast?

landscapedesignpros
10-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I have a large seeding project that includes some water retention areas and slopes about 3 to 1 I know it needs to be at 54 degrees for the grass to do any thing, dose any one know of a site that shows a soil temp forcast? I have found sites that give the current temp, the last 8 days temp but I cant find a soil temp forcast any where. What Im looking for is basicly a forcast of how much longer it will be warm enough to still seed

RigglePLC
10-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Try this--its data from 2010. Illinois. Champagne.
http://www.isws.illinois.edu/warm/data/2010/October/Champaign.txt
You start out at 67 and end up at 58 on Halloween.

Good luck! Should work OK, but don't wait too long.

I don't know what is considered "too late", but of course bluegrass is slow, tall fescue is faster, per rye is fastest. If you absolutely must have fast germination pregerminate in warm water before sowing it. See my experiments from last year.

landscapedesignpros
10-02-2011, 05:59 PM
thats really great how did you find that?

Exact Rototilling
10-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

mattb84
10-02-2011, 08:51 PM
http://www.greencastonline.com/SoilTempMaps.aspx is another helpful site
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
10-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Get a thermometer dude, they aren't that expensive. Those maps aren't super accurate you know.

Darryl G
10-02-2011, 11:24 PM
I just go by experience. Oct 15th is the absolute latest I will plant grass here for a renovation, espeically since I plant mostly TTTF and it likes warmer temps. If it's a necessary repair due to ruts or something I'll plant later with a mix with about 1/3 ryegrass just to get it stabilized for erosion control.

landscapedesignpros
10-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Get a thermometer dude, they aren't that expensive. Those maps aren't super accurate you know.

As I said in my post I am wanting a forcast for what the ground temps are projected to be for this fall, last time I checked a thermometer only tells you what the current temp is

landscapedesignpros
10-03-2011, 01:16 PM
I just go by experience. Oct 15th is the absolute latest I will plant grass here for a renovation, espeically since I plant mostly TTTF and it likes warmer temps. If it's a necessary repair due to ruts or something I'll plant later with a mix with about 1/3 ryegrass just to get it stabilized for erosion control.

thats the same dates I typicaly use except its been real dry this year and were seeding in an area that will see some water over the winter and need to make sure I have coverage other wise Im going to lbanket it

ChiTownAmateur
10-03-2011, 05:50 PM
http://www.isws.illinois.edu/warm/soiltemp.asp

You're welcome in advance.

Kiril
10-03-2011, 07:42 PM
As I said in my post I am wanting a forcast for what the ground temps are projected to be for this fall, last time I checked a thermometer only tells you what the current temp is

..... and I still say get a thermometer. Any "forecast" for soil temps will be less accurate than the weather forecast, and any current temperature map is not all that accurate either. Best you could hope for is here to find historical data and roll the dice on this being an "average" year. Are you a "roll the dice" kinda guy with your clients money?

landscapedesignpros
10-03-2011, 11:00 PM
I spent about 2.5 hours going over historical data from the u of i, awsome link by the way and we are tracking 90% of the days with in 2.75 degrees of on any given day when compaired to couple of years ago actual measurments and the extended forcast is tracking very close as well to thouse years so Im beting we will lose our ground temps the week of the 23rd, who knows if im right but I will be checking with a thermometer :-), Im suggesting we go with some mats in addition to what we planed for to out last the winter based on the data I put together, and no I dont just bet with my customers money, Ill bet with mine but not theres :-) Great Links!!!!! they helped a ton

ChiTownAmateur
10-04-2011, 09:38 PM
I spent about 2.5 hours going over historical data from the u of i, awsome link by the way and we are tracking 90% of the days with in 2.75 degrees of on any given day when compaired to couple of years ago actual measurments and the extended forcast is tracking very close as well to thouse years so Im beting we will lose our ground temps the week of the 23rd, who knows if im right but I will be checking with a thermometer :-), Im suggesting we go with some mats in addition to what we planed for to out last the winter based on the data I put together, and no I dont just bet with my customers money, Ill bet with mine but not theres :-) Great Links!!!!! they helped a ton

Glad that is working out well. It's very accurate. As Kiril implies, it's not perfectly accurate. Sunny/shady/soil, there's a lot that can make it vary but that site is dead-on, they take measurements every day at multiple sites.

What number are you using to lose the ground temps? I think probably around 45 is where you won't be able to get any more germination.

ChiTownAmateur
10-04-2011, 09:40 PM
You can also use weather.com and accuweather.com for their month-long forecasts. That will tell you the expected temperatures for those timeframes and you can use that to help extrapolate the ground temperatures. With 70's all week up here and probably even better down by you, this is a perfect week to get germination going, or if seeds are in the ground, perfect time to get those seeds coming up.