PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa or Echo?

statman
10-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Now that Echo owns Shindaiwa, whcih is the better value. I went to the dealer with every intenttion to buy a Shin T242, but he tried to talk me into an Echo SRM225. He says better value for the money, better warranty 5 yr vs 2 residential - commercial the same (1 year). I don't mind saving $75 but will I be sorry?

ed2hess
10-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Four mix versus 2 stroke go with the two stroke. The warranty on neither doesn't amount to much.

Dave
10-03-2011, 06:36 PM
If there are other dealers in your area , i would look at something else , the shindys are not what they were , and you can buy an echo in homedepot. I trully belive when things get mass marketed for the box stores there quality goes to crap, look at homelite and McCULLOCH once they mass marketed

djagusch
10-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I still bought a T242 given the choice this year. The grips have a different feel.

FoghornLeghorn
10-03-2011, 08:05 PM
What they're slowly doing with the two brands is phasing out the weakest products of each line and replacing the model with whichever company has the best model for said tool. That is my understanding. We have all Echo handhelds, but Shindiawa blowers.

We haven't had a problem with any of the stuff all year. Just make sure you buy the top of the line stuff. If you start buying the 225 trimmer or the lower end backpack blower, then you're not getting the best equipment money can buy...

newz7151
10-04-2011, 01:32 AM
Four mix versus 2 stroke go with the two stroke. The warranty on neither doesn't amount to much.

What dealer do you sometimes visit that fills you with wrong information?

The Shindaiwa T242 is not a 4 mix, it is a regular 2 stroke.

Also, if somebody is comparing the SRM225 to a T242 they are not comparing machines near enough, as the SRM225 is really not much more than a decent homeowner unit and a REAL commercial user buying it will probably be kicking himself later on for not spending the extra $40 or $50 on the SRM-230.

And to Statman, better find a different dealer altogether if he doesn't even know what the warranty is on the stuff he is selling. Assuming you are going to be using this in a commercial environment, the SRM225 and T242 both have a 2 year commercial warranty. The SRM225 has a 5 year residential user warranty, but that does nothing for you in commercial use. The T242 is a 2 year warranty R or C.

justanotherlawnguy
10-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Shindaiwa is junk, get the echo.
Posted via Mobile Device

8rickyj
10-07-2011, 08:04 PM
We use Sthil FS110's I have never tried anything else

ed2hess
10-08-2011, 06:34 PM
What dealer do you sometimes visit that fills you with wrong information?

The Shindaiwa T242 is not a 4 mix, it is a regular 2 stroke.

Also, if somebody is comparing the SRM225 to a T242 they are not comparing machines near enough, as the SRM225 is really not much more than a decent homeowner unit and a REAL commercial user buying it will probably be kicking himself later on for not spending the extra $40 or $50 on the SRM-230.

And to Statman, better find a different dealer altogether if he doesn't even know what the warranty is on the stuff he is selling. Assuming you are going to be using this in a commercial environment, the SRM225 and T242 both have a 2 year commercial warranty. The SRM225 has a 5 year residential user warranty, but that does nothing for you in commercial use. The T242 is a 2 year warranty R or C.
I kinda know a little about warranty since we run a lot of equipment and I know the dealer well and the technical guy at the ditributor. Each year when we buy we joke around about the two year warranty with regard to what it might include. Lets....see coil limited and flex shaft life and carb 90 days and lets see that is about it. If you take it in and say it doesn't start I can guarantee you will be billed for a bunch of stuff like plug, air filter etc etc to the tune of $70. I am not upset but I also know that a lot of folks think that everything that breaks will be covered 100%. And the free coil and flex shaft under second year cost to install. Anyway just buy the Echo 2 stroke it is simply the best on the market now.

DiSantolandscaping
10-08-2011, 06:53 PM
i have a stihl fs 90 r best machine that i have owned yet, has more then enough power to cut tall thick grass. I had a home owner troybuilt at the begining of the year and when that broke 20 min into a job i had just started i went out next morning and bought that great investment. only costs around 315.00

GMLC
10-08-2011, 07:04 PM
In my opinion echo has gone down hill since the HD and big box store agreement. Bite the bullet and buy a stihl.
Posted via Mobile Device

newz7151
10-08-2011, 10:53 PM
I kinda know a little about warranty since we run a lot of equipment and I know the dealer well and the technical guy at the ditributor. Each year when we buy we joke around about the two year warranty with regard to what it might include. Lets....see coil limited and flex shaft life and carb 90 days and lets see that is about it. If you take it in and say it doesn't start I can guarantee you will be billed for a bunch of stuff like plug, air filter etc etc to the tune of $70. I am not upset but I also know that a lot of folks think that everything that breaks will be covered 100%. And the free coil and flex shaft under second year cost to install. Anyway just buy the Echo 2 stroke it is simply the best on the market now.

"Technical guy at the distributor" Let's see, are you talking about Al, Pat, Ryan or Matt?

And what I am calling you on in your post is the fact that neither of the 2 units the original poster asked about are "4 mix" units, so why would you even say "Four mix versus 2 stroke go with the two stroke." if they are both 2 cycle units to begin with?

And i don't think i said anything to YOU about warranty. I was telling the OP Statman to find a different dealer if his current dealer is telling him that Shindaiwa and Echo only have a 1 year commercial warranty. Both brands carry 2 year commercial warranty on the trimmers. Whether or not the failure you might have will be covered or not is a moot point if his dealer doesn't even know what the base commercial warranty is to begin with.

ed2hess
10-11-2011, 07:18 PM
"Technical guy at the distributor" Let's see, are you talking about Al, Pat, Ryan or Matt?

And what I am calling you on in your post is the fact that neither of the 2 units the original poster asked about are "4 mix" units, so why would you even say "Four mix versus 2 stroke go with the two stroke." if they are both 2 cycle units to begin with?

And i don't think i said anything to YOU about warranty. I was telling the OP Statman to find a different dealer if his current dealer is telling him that Shindaiwa and Echo only have a 1 year commercial warranty. Both brands carry 2 year commercial warranty on the trimmers. Whether or not the failure you might have will be covered or not is a moot point if his dealer doesn't even know what the base commercial warranty is to begin with.
I am a little slow sometimes just thought he might be looking at shindawa 4 mix units. And yes I am talking about Al. And it really doesn't matter if it is 1 year or 2 they still don't cover hardly anything.

newz7151
10-12-2011, 12:35 AM
And it really doesn't matter if it is 1 year or 2 they still don't cover hardly anything.

You're right, but mostly it doesn't matter to a commercial guy because 85% of you remove the "automatic manufacturer required trimmer line length maintainer"
no more than you buy them and send them out with a crew, or use them yourself, so the reality of a warranty is moot at that point anyway.

Also, I am not seeing where you are finding that the shaft and coil cost you (the commercial user) after the first year, when the standard warranty is 2 years on the entire unit, so according to the warranty statement on powered units besides chainsaws, the parts and labor warranty should be 2 years on a coil and drive shaft, and then parts only after the 2 years (if you have a good working relationship with your dealer, your labor portion could be greatly reduced on a part covered repair), but then again, removing the "automatic manufacturer required trimmer line length maintainer" device from the trimmer has the potential to increase load on the engine, thereby increasing the heat generated, which could play in to early failure of the component, which at that point wouldn't be covered.

ed2hess
10-12-2011, 07:04 PM
You're right, but mostly it doesn't matter to a commercial guy because 85% of you remove the "automatic manufacturer required trimmer line length maintainer"
no more than you buy them and send them out with a crew, or use them yourself, so the reality of a warranty is moot at that point anyway.

Also, I am not seeing where you are finding that the shaft and coil cost you (the commercial user) after the first year, when the standard warranty is 2 years on the entire unit, so according to the warranty statement on powered units besides chainsaws, the parts and labor warranty should be 2 years on a coil and drive shaft, and then parts only after the 2 years (if you have a good working relationship with your dealer, your labor portion could be greatly reduced on a part covered repair), but then again, removing the "automatic manufacturer required trimmer line length maintainer" device from the trimmer has the potential to increase load on the engine, thereby increasing the heat generated, which could play in to early failure of the component, which at that point wouldn't be covered.
I am not sure where you are coming from here but .......no labor under warranty in second year right? But doesn't matter to me since I do all my work on handhelds because the warranty is NO good. And if a unit will not stand up to running with the guard off then I don't buy it. Everything I got runs fine and long with guard off and I am VERY happy with Echo and even one 4-mix from Shinduawa. I can get a lot of repair stuff off units that on the scrap pile because Echo doesn't change stuff every year. There are plenty of guys that run on raw gas and scrap the units..

By the way do you work for the distributor in Georgetown? If so that organization is first class and has helped us build our business by their support for scag and echo. And the dealer is first class in Austin.

newz7151
10-12-2011, 08:14 PM
I am not sure where you are coming from here but .......no labor under warranty in second year right? But doesn't matter to me since I do all my work on handhelds because the warranty is NO good. And if a unit will not stand up to running with the guard off then I don't buy it. Everything I got runs fine and long with guard off and I am VERY happy with Echo and even one 4-mix from Shinduawa. I can get a lot of repair stuff off units that on the scrap pile because Echo doesn't change stuff every year. There are plenty of guys that run on raw gas and scrap the units..

By the way do you work for the distributor in Georgetown? If so that organization is first class and has helped us build our business by their support for scag and echo. And the dealer is first class in Austin.

What i'm "coming from" here is that I do not see in the warranty statement anywhere that it spells out that the Lifetime ignition and shaft is parts only starting with the 2nd year. The entire unit is (it would appear from reading what is printed) covered 2 years commercial, and the "lifetime" portion is parts only for years 3-10 (or 10 years after the product run completion).

And no, I do not work for the distributor out by the airport but i visit there regularly during "the season" (twice today actually).

A.T.G LAWN CARE
10-12-2011, 09:39 PM
me and my dad use all 2 cycle echo and love them blower and line trimmers