PDA

View Full Version : Best investment I ever made (I think)

kedkins22
10-02-2011, 09:04 PM
In the beginning of the season I installed gorilla lifts on all 4 of my trailers and the $700 has been the single best investment I feel I have made. My guys comment on them all the time about the inability to dropping a gate on their toes and not having to injure their backs lifting. To me happy employees is well worth the $ spent. Plus gates are staying in better shape.
Just wondered what some of you think is your best $ you have spent.

rreyn1812
10-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Ditto! My Gorilla Lifts have to be the best $$ I've ever spent. I'm thankful for them every time I use them!!

David Haggerty
10-03-2011, 07:57 AM
In terms of value for money invested I'd have to say it's my mini-MIG welder. Around $400 invested and it's saved me more times than I can count.
Or maybe my core aerator. My wife complained a little when I bought it. A couple of weeks later it had paid it's self off. It makes fall as profitable as the other seasons.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-03-2011, 01:05 PM
I should invest in some!

zak406
10-03-2011, 02:55 PM
In the beginning of the season I installed gorilla lifts on all 4 of my trailers and the $700 has been the single best investment I feel I have made. My guys comment on them all the time about the inability to dropping a gate on their toes and not having to injure their backs lifting. To me happy employees is well worth the $ spent. Plus gates are staying in better shape.
Just wondered what some of you think is your best $ you have spent.

Reguardless of whether or not it was a great investment, I think there is a lesson to be learned here. Happy employees=better quality work, less bitching, and more productivity. That easily makes the seven hundred dollar investment worth it!

ed2hess
10-03-2011, 05:51 PM
You must really be making some bad investments if this is your best. My best investment was to buy IBM stock in 1964. And someday that spring will break and you are still likely to have an employee hurt. Another waste of money not needed to run an efficient business.

David Haggerty
10-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Happy employees=better quality work, less bitching, and more productivity.

Hey! that's what I'll tell my wife! I'm self employed. Last time I tried an "employee incentive" I get the "look".
OK, it was sub woofers & an amp for my truck, but it makes ME happy!

hackitdown
10-04-2011, 08:27 AM
You must really be making some bad investments if this is your best. My best investment was to buy IBM stock in 1964. And someday that spring will break and you are still likely to have an employee hurt. Another waste of money not needed to run an efficient business.

Way to stay positive!

zak406
10-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Hey! that's what I'll tell my wife! I'm self employed. Last time I tried an "employee incentive" I get the "look".
OK, it was sub woofers & an amp for my truck, but it makes ME happy!

haha sounds like the wife is the boss? lol Im 21 and everybody I talk to older than me tells me to never get married and never have kids? I guess time will tell :usflag:

land_scaper70
10-06-2011, 10:10 AM
my billy goat push blower, this thing moves a lot of leaves quickly. I had it payed for in the first leaf season. Kids I would never be without, unfortunately the kid come with the wife, which I'm in the process of getting rid of now!!!!!:clapping:

zak406
10-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Haha so ur saying skip the wife? Would you ever get married again?
Posted via Mobile Device

dahammer
10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
There is absolutely nothing on earth better than a great marriage. There is also nothing on earth worse than a bad marriage. I've had both. Good kids are great as well and bad kids are....well...bad. :) My advice to any young person is to not be in any hurry to get either.

Anyway, I'll have to check out the Gorilla lifts.

THIESSENS TLC
10-06-2011, 11:29 AM
There is absolutely nothing on earth better than a great marriage. There is also nothing on earth worse than a bad marriage. I've had both. Good kids are great as well and bad kids are....well...bad. :) My advice to any young person is to not be in any hurry to get either.

Anyway, I'll have to check out the Gorilla lifts.

Got married and had a kid all in 1 yr! Couldn't ask for anything else! The wife supports what I do, and makes my lunch! :)

JimmyTheGlove
10-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Best money I ever spent was 30 bucks on a small motorcycle battery. My buddy was going to trash his old 1983 80cc Honda Scooter. It didn't run and definitely needed some work. I told him to give it to me and not to the dump. I fixed that baby up with my bare hands and all I had to buy was a new battery and a 2 dollar starter plug. She runs like a dream.

land_scaper70
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Marriage like your business, it is what you make of it. A marriage is the same thing, however it takes two working in the same direction. As long as you have a strong business plan it will work out. You have to use your head. Now I understand, it only took 30 years, the old bull and the young bull story. Walk down and due them all, don't run down for one. Also this guy I knew from New Zealand use to say, "the upstairs head is for think'en and the down stairs for danc'en", don't mix that up either. Keep your equipment in good shape and it will give you good service for years.

Lawn Enforcer
10-06-2011, 03:39 PM
I've been thinking about Gorilla lifts too, seem like a good investment. My greatest investments (lawn care) are my Lesco aerator that I got for $800, more than paid for itself many times over, and a new skid sprayer and a good supplier for spraying products.

David Haggerty
10-08-2011, 07:08 AM
haha sounds like the wife is the boss? lol Im 21 and everybody I talk to older than me tells me to never get married and never have kids? I guess time will tell :usflag:

Yeah, pretty much. She's a trained bookkeeper and does books for another small business too. I'd have been in prison by now if it weren't for her keeping things straight. Of course it won't work if I don't listen to her.
Now I've turned 65 I'm putting the business in her name to build up her social security. I tell people "She's always going to be boss'in me around."
OK it's funnier in person, because I'm twice her size.

MR-G
10-08-2011, 08:39 AM
been with my wife 24 yrs....married 16 of them....best thing i ever did....2 wonderful kids as well....(11 &16)....wouldnt change a single thing...however, we decided long ago that I run the business...she has her own job as a teacher....everything else is a partnership.....in business 25 yrs.

PR Fect
10-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Best investment I ever made for the business is a Stihl pole saw. Telescoping, paid $400 for it. Its made me safer,richer, and less tired. My x wife said motorcycles drove us apart. Thank God I own motorcycles!

minilawn
10-15-2011, 12:30 AM
I think my 21" lawnboy 4hp commercial for $60 has made its money back more times over than any other machine... just curious what kind of lawnboys do you run Kevin?

Jason Rose
10-15-2011, 10:15 AM
The gorrilla lifts are great, and no they won't break and injure anyone the springs are 100% enclosed in the tubing and the ends won't allow a broken spring to come out, but they DO break. Plan on replacing the cables once a year. The instructions tell you you have to buy a whole new spring and cable assembly because of how they are attached, but the cable is nothing special and 2 clamps per end has never failed on me. Well worth the time of replacing cables compared to lifting my gate. It's almost more than one person should even be lifting, and when it has to be done a dozen + times a day.

kedkins22
10-15-2011, 05:39 PM
I think my 21" lawnboy 4hp commercial for $60 has made its money back more times over than any other machine... just curious what kind of lawnboys do you run Kevin?

I run the older 4.5 or 5hp gold series 3 speed self-propelleds lawnboys. I find then on c/l for about $50 and buy as many as I can. I have 10 in constant use but have probably 20ish.

I also have replaced the cables exactly like the guy above said, new cable and a couple eyelets. We specialize in small residentials and my crews can do 25-35 lawns an 8hr day which means lifting and lowering the gates 50+ times a day. If the lifts make them happy, they are worth it.

Kleen Kutz
10-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Ditto! My Gorilla Lifts have to be the best $$ I've ever spent. I'm thankful for them every time I use them!!

Ok that's what I need. Where can I purchase them from? What's the cost of them?

kedkins22
10-15-2011, 06:40 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200316067_200316067

$190, they were on sell this summer for $150 w/ free shipping.

cjmoore82
10-17-2011, 12:19 PM
No offense but if your guys are complaining about the lift gates because they are too heavy and they drop them on their toes then you hired a bunch of cry babies. Though it is a nice option and seems resonably cheap, I have yet to install them. But I also not had my employees complain about it.

Best investment starting out was Bri-Mar dump trailer. Best purchase to date... Toro Dingo with attachments.

kedkins22
10-17-2011, 07:16 PM
No offense but if your guys are complaining about the lift gates because they are too heavy and they drop them on their toes then you hired a bunch of cry babies. Though it is a nice option and seems resonably cheap, I have yet to install them. But I also not had my employees complain about it.

Best investment starting out was Bri-Mar dump trailer. Best purchase to date... Toro Dingo with attachments.

Just 1 workers comp claim and you will be singing a different tune :)

larryinalabama
10-17-2011, 07:58 PM

They are 100% correct

Turf Commando
10-21-2011, 12:21 AM
My brother in law who works for a large lawn company said the TT mower he's using has 6,000 hrs. Its on second motor, both hydros have leaks and the engine burns oil... He seems to think its worth buying from his boss. This is defining moment where replacing parts is no longer valid..
Posted via Mobile Device

StihlMechanic
10-21-2011, 12:39 AM
The best investment I made was a $300 Kohler toilet. Comfort height model and will flush a small child. No more double flushing.

nepatsfan
10-21-2011, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=ed2hess;4176508]You must really be making some bad investments if this is your best. My best investment was to buy IBM stock in 1964. And someday that spring will break and you are still likely to have an employee hurt. Another waste of money not needed to run an efficient business.[QUOTE]

No need to worry about workers comp cases when you use all illegals I guess.

Those things are awesome. I put them on my trailers too and my guys love them.

cpllawncare
10-23-2011, 08:16 AM

Buddy of mine told me next time you think you want to get married, just go buy a house and give it away, it's cheaper! LOL

larryinalabama
10-23-2011, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=cpllawncare;4194332]Buddy of mine told me next time you think you want to get married, just go buy a house and give it away, it's cheaper! LOL[/QUOT

Mine brought a suite case in , and left here with cars cash about 70% of everything.
Never again will I ever get married never